PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/12 07:00 PM
Hello to everyone.

Been "lurcking" here in the forum for several months. Following discussions,
listening to songs, gaining a lot of insight, getting a few chuckles.
Heard some really nice productions.
All the while, longing for the day that I could call on that stable of musicians
that you guys/gals "pal around with".

That day finally came.

Had BIAB back in 1993 (Version 5). My upgrade to version 6 came on 5 1/4 inch floppies (I still have them).
Never really used it except to verify chord placement and timing to write
Nashville Number charts or for a click track. (Never had a good synth).

So I've got a LOT to learn (though I have learned some tricks thanks to the folks on this forum).

So here is a first effort.

Out On A Limb

1877 Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
618 Fiddle, Background Allis Ev 120
1690 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise Ev16 100 Solo
Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
Pedal Steel, Background Ev 085
NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
Bass - midi from C_90BAL.STY (Country 90's Ballad)

The fiddle and pedal steel parts were combinations (a piece here, a piece there).
I had already laid a couple of acoustic guitar tracks before "the band" came
(musicians are always late)

Harmonies courtesy of The BAIBettes.

Comments welcomed/encouraged. Can't learn otherwise...

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/12 09:29 PM
I like it. Nice lyrics and hook. Excellent fills. Spot on mix for my taste. Yup...splits and joins are about the only way to get tasteful realtrack fills yours work well. Good job all the way around.
Posted By: Sundance Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/12 09:50 PM
Hey Floyd and Welcome to the forum!

You're going to have a blast with the new BIAB - I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement over those floppies.

Great first song post. My suggestion would be to change your second verse to third person - in other words saying "her" instead of "you". That way there's no confusion who you're talking to after the collective "you" that you're using in the chorus.

Otherwise I think this is a terrific song. Really nice job with the BIABettes and the tracks. Nice voice you got there too.

Good job.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/12 11:08 PM
Quote:

stable of musicians

I love those descriptive terms! Stable and Oklahoma musicians are never far apart. Don't step right yonder! I never allow my horse to think he's smarter than me even when the evidence is overwhelming!

Seriously, I really liked your song, especially as a first effort.

The vox was on pitch and very expressive.

Story line was very good, especially after doing the modifications that Sundance noted.

My big thing, as always, is the lack of a nice instrumental break in there somewhere. Electric guitar and/or resonator guitar or fiddle and harmonica would fit in nicely. That's just a personal preference, not a criticism.

I look forward to hearing many more from you. Don't take my biased opinion discourage you. I meant it as encouragement.

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/12/12 12:32 PM
Mootsman

Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to have someone actually "like" something.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/12/12 12:46 PM
Josie -

There IS a LOT of new stuff. But the interface has remained pretty much the same after all these years. Of course, dealing with the Real Tracks is all new to me - and the reason that I "came back" to BIAB. Had no idea about these changes until I stumbled onto it a few months back (and was totally amazed! It was finally what I had always wished it would be).

An interseting observation - the you/her issue. It's the difference between singing/writing songs "to" someone as opposed to "about" someone. I tend to lean towards the "to". But you may be right in this case. I'll probably try that and see how that feels. Thanks for the suggestion.

The BIABettes are a great addition to the programs. Give 'em a chord sheet and they go to town....
Posted By: Tano Music Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/12/12 12:53 PM
Really nice, esp the lyric..and you picked a nice rhyming hook.

I'd second the advice about adding some instrumental in there..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/12/12 05:13 PM
Don -

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I know you are an instrumental-break-kind-of-guy... I've heard some really nice ones out of you. Like I said, I've been hanging around for a while...

But I spent a lot of time writing in an environment where the people listening wanted nothing to do with anything other than a short beginning and get-to-the-song. The lyrics/message/story/hook/melody was really the only thing that mattered and there was no time for sitting through istrumental breaks. So you get to the point where you no longer consider that... you get away from it because it "gets in the way"... minds wonder and songs get turned off, they move on... You are "trained" to "get to the point".

As I continue on, I'll try to throw a few in.
Posted By: pinglis Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/13/12 01:21 AM
Good story - and I like how the second and first verses connect even though in one you're a child and in the second you're an adult.

Strong lead vocal and excellent backing vocals. The choice of instruments backs it up well - a couple of good hooks and I like the chord changes, especially in the chorus. Well done.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/13/12 11:29 AM
Cool Song! Love the lyrics!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/14/12 09:08 AM
Paul, Tommy -

Thanks for the comments (and for listening).
Posted By: MarioD Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/12 02:12 AM
Well it
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/12 05:17 AM
One fantastic song, great performance. Excellent lyrics. Thanks for sharing your God given talent.

My Music
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/12 03:29 PM
Great lyrics, and a very fine first attempt. Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/12 04:13 PM
Good stuff!!! So good I wish I had "done writ it my damned self"!! I don't know if you meant "going out on a limb" literally or metaphorically but it works either way.

Nice BGV. Multi track of your voice or hardware?
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/12 05:26 PM
I couldn't get it to play. Sorry.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/20/12 02:14 PM
MarioD, PgFantastic ,Robh - Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments.

eddie - not sure a compliment gets any better than that. The BGVs were done in RealBand using the harmonizer plugin. Running my vocal through it and using the chords from BIAB. Used to use hardware (Studio Vocalist), but this makes it a LOT easier.

jptjptjpt - the page loads a jscript to provide the "play button" (quicktime). I would guess you have your browser set to block it (it's safe code - people use it all the time).
Posted By: trapper456 Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/29/12 03:14 AM
Man I love your style. I love the lyrics and the use of "Band in a Box" I love the Background vocals. When I first heard this song I was like "Alright" What version are you using? I have BIAB 2011.5 the everything pack. If this is a sample of the newest BIAB I am going to get it. I great song, vocals and tune. Wonderful hook, love it.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/30/12 06:07 PM
hi floyd another keeper there,s a lot of talent on this forum keep them comming thanks for sharing great mix and vocal and arrangement has pro sound eric
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 11:17 AM
Well Mr Lurker, mark August 11th, 2023 on your calendar as the day you posted your first song here! You finally pulled the trigger. That’s a big first step. Welcome to the forum! My apologies for not responding sooner. I like to be REALLY on top of these things.

That being said, I think you’re going to find a lot of opportunity to grow and find new things to try. We are all here for the same things; write songs, help others do the same, and BS a little.

Now about this song of yours. I have to say it’s really a good song all the way around. I’m guessing this ain’t your first rodeo? There’s a lot of talent already there and I’m sure it will be fun to watch/hear where things go going forward.

Lyrics, arrangement, melodic choices, even that voice all seem right on point! Mixing is very nice too! You’ve got a lot going for ya. It’s not said often here, but that’s a radio ready sure hit.

Now my advice is to not be a stranger. I want to encourage you to keep writing and be open to new ideas. It can be easy to just keep doing things the same way, get bored, or frustrated and stop. Some people even walk away to do something like play golf or whatever. Like that would be less frustrating! I’m not sure if you’ve ever played? I’m guessing by the song you probably have never played. But who knows, I guess. You might totally surprise me and say you golf, or paint, or whatever. You never know with some people. Don’t laugh too quickly. They are out there.

Lastly, I would recommend steering clear of this new country you hear. There’s nothin’ there for you. Believe me when I say this, if it ain’t a cliche’ wanna be of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s country it ain’t real country. Stick with tried and true. They way things were is how it oughta stay. If it’s already been done, there’s a reason it was. The more times it’s been done, the better the idea. If it hasn’t been done, obviously there’s a reason for that. It’s a bad idea. Change is the enemy. The one thing you have in your favor is at least technology is at a stand still and will be for a long time. Possibly forever. We’ve finally arrived, as they say.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling on. I usually don’t type this much as I don’t have much to say. So to summarize…
Good song
Welcome to the forum
Be open to new ideas
Stick to what’s already been done

Keep all of this in mind and you might find yourself here years from now having written a good number of songs. You’d be surprised how fast a decade or more can fly by taking that first step out on a limb. Did you see what I did there? I’ve found people like it best when you say something that’s not that clever, but point it out as if it were clever. They also like when you explain it to them.

Sometimes I wish we could get a glimpse of the future today to see how things turn out for a young buck like you. But, there’s no way around just having to wait.

This one truly goes to 11. smile
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 12:01 PM
Wow! You had great insight, production, and lyrical skills way back then too, eh, Floyd! Have you pitched any of your tunes over the years and, if so, have you had any success with others artists recording them? If not you should...and they should!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 12:13 PM

Dear Mr. Jane,

I am so sorry to have to listen to your first song here and report this:

Even if they were to invent a version of this "Band in a Box" with 9,000 styles, I am afraid you would just not find any listeners for this type of thing.

Nor do I really see any hope for you here on this forum, where the most successful people around here reside on the OFF TOPIC forums talking about their memory sticks and RAM--you know, the important stuff.

Yes, the cheerful, quaint and happy tone of this has no place in the world of modern music and I am afraid you do not have a prayer around here, Mr. Floyd, I mean Mr. Jane.

My best advice to you is this:

Please climb down off that limb and give up while you still can.
Posted By: firesong Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 01:45 PM
Floyd...great song...great hook...11 years have passed...you had "it" then and you have "it" now...the limb you climbed out on is still strong and growing...I've never heard a bad or even mediocre production from you...glad you found BiaB and I bet the BiaB folks are glad too!
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Wow! You had great insight, production, and lyrical skills way back then too, eh, Floyd! Have you pitched any of your tunes over the years and, if so, have you had any success with others artists recording them? If not you should...and they should!!

I wonder the same thing every time I hear one of your tunes.
Posted By: Al-David Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 06:20 PM
Floyd ...

I remember a few months back when I posted a song of the same name, you mentioned your very first post on this forum was entitled "Out On A Limb". I am so dang happy to finally hear it. And what a great song.

Ya know, I believe we're all born with a certain set of skills and talents. What makes the difference is which of us discover those skills and develop them for the benefits they provide. In this case, the benefit is the great enjoyment the rest of us get from your efforts and willingness to share. That said, only a small percent of us hone those skills to your level. This song perfectly defines my thoughts about all that.

I'll close with a sincere thank you for the treasured enjoyment your music has brought me and the help you offer to others to improve their skills.

I'm here only because you heard one of my songs on another board (you know - that other one!) and invited me to join this group. I'm not sure I've ever received a more rewarding invitation.

And thank you for the grace you bring to this forum.

Alan and Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/11/23 06:23 PM
Deleted - double post. Sorry!
Posted By: rayc Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/12/23 07:23 PM
History - a song about a limb that sets a bar.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/13/23 09:35 AM
Thanks so much to whomever brought this gem back from the past. Floyd, I was quite excited thinking that maybe --just maybe- I'll finally hear one of yours that wasn't as amazing as every other one I've heard. Dang! Still no proof that you're actually human. One question: Did you come from the same planet as Paul McCartney and Danny Gatton? Out on a limb, eh? I'd say that is a pretty sturdy limb there fella. Although I too have had this software since the floppy days, I've never heard it put to better use. Thank you!!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/13/23 03:23 PM
FJ,
That was one excellent first post! Glad somebody bumped it. Don't know if this was updated in any way from initial release, but sounds amazing as is. Easy listen and thank you for being here!

Misha.
Posted By: vicarn Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/14/23 06:42 AM
It has FJ printed all over it.
Like a Johnny Cash song, we can tell an FJ one straight out of the box
Keep it up, Floyd.

Vic
Posted By: rsdean Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/14/23 08:03 AM
Floyd,

I can't believe I missed this one all those years ago... It's just great and a window into what we would hear from you in the future.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 06:15 PM
It is always nice when an old song pops up again because someone finds it buried somewhere and decides to comment.
It is Truly appreciated.

Usually, I don't respond (to an old song) and just let 'em slide back to oblivion.
But I DO appreciate the effort.

In this case, since it was my first post in these forums, and several people (who had not heard it 11 years ago) left some very nice comments and a few interesting questions...
I decided to respond here and perhaps tell a story or two...

This forum is a remarkable place. There are a number of people who were here long before I was and are still here.
It is a magical place.
(as long as you stay away from the few contentious posts that get completely out-of-hand...)

A quick note: I re-coded the web page to use the current HTML audio player. The old player that I had coded disappeared on my phone when I tried it...

Here is a better link if you had any trouble with the original
http://www.floydjane.com/Songs/Limb.htm

PS. I have a lot of catching up to do - and I will... MAN! you go away for a week and you miss SO much...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Well Mr Lurker, mark August 11th, 2023 on your calendar as the day you posted your first song here! You finally pulled the trigger. That’s a big first step. Welcome to the forum! My apologies for not responding sooner. I like to be REALLY on top of these things.

That being said, I think you’re going to find a lot of opportunity to grow and find new things to try. We are all here for the same things; write songs, help others do the same, and BS a little.

Hey, you're only off by a number or 2

Quote:

Now about this song of yours. I have to say it’s really a good song all the way around. I’m guessing this ain’t your first rodeo? There’s a lot of talent already there and I’m sure it will be fun to watch/hear where things go going forward.

Lyrics, arrangement, melodic choices, even that voice all seem right on point! Mixing is very nice too! You’ve got a lot going for ya. It’s not said often here, but that’s a radio ready sure hit.

For your lips to...

Quote:

Now my advice is to not be a stranger. I want to encourage you to keep writing and be open to new ideas. It can be easy to just keep doing things the same way, get bored, or frustrated and stop. Some people even walk away to do something like play golf or whatever. Like that would be less frustrating! I’m not sure if you’ve ever played? I’m guessing by the song you probably have never played. But who knows, I guess. You might totally surprise me and say you golf, or paint, or whatever. You never know with some people. Don’t laugh too quickly. They are out there.

I'm writing this all down

Quote:

Lastly, I would recommend steering clear of this new country you hear. There’s nothin’ there for you. Believe me when I say this, if it ain’t a cliche’ wanna be of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s country it ain’t real country. Stick with tried and true. They way things were is how it oughta stay. If it’s already been done, there’s a reason it was. The more times it’s been done, the better the idea. If it hasn’t been done, obviously there’s a reason for that. It’s a bad idea. Change is the enemy. The one thing you have in your favor is at least technology is at a stand still and will be for a long time. Possibly forever. We’ve finally arrived, as they say.

Dang! I already listened to Every major (and many minor) release for the last 2 years!!!

Quote:

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling on. I usually don’t type this much as I don’t have much to say. So to summarize…
Good song
Welcome to the forum
Be open to new ideas
Stick to what’s already been done

Keep all of this in mind and you might find yourself here years from now having written a good number of songs. You’d be surprised how fast a decade or more can fly by taking that first step out on a limb. Did you see what I did there? I’ve found people like it best when you say something that’s not that clever, but point it out as if it were clever. They also like when you explain it to them.

Sometimes I wish we could get a glimpse of the future today to see how things turn out for a young buck like you. But, there’s no way around just having to wait.

This one truly goes to 11. smile

Stirring the pot, once again, eh?
THANK YOU!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 06:24 PM

Dewey - Thanks! - I'll answer your question when I get to Dan's (firesong) post since he asked, too...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dear Mr. Jane,

I am so sorry to have to listen to your first song here and report this:

Even if they were to invent a version of this "Band in a Box" with 9,000 styles, I am afraid you would just not find any listeners for this type of thing.

Nor do I really see any hope for you here on this forum, where the most successful people around here reside on the OFF TOPIC forums talking about their memory sticks and RAM--you know, the important stuff.

Yes, the cheerful, quaint and happy tone of this has no place in the world of modern music and I am afraid you do not have a prayer around here, Mr. Floyd, I mean Mr. Jane.

My best advice to you is this:

Please climb down off that limb and give up while you still can.

Dear Mr. Snide-r (did you see what I did there?)

I've been beat up a lot worse than this. Plenty of times. Sticks And Stones. Water off a writer's back. I tried the Off Topic thing. They just want to insist that everyone has to READ music. But they never seem to actually MAKE any music. Oh well. Different Strokes.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 06:56 PM
First, I like the song. I did not get here till 2015, so I never had a chance to listen.

You always do first-class stuff no matter what David says...lol

We can always use a bit of the past here. The time here is growing shorter by the day for all of us. Perhaps a lot shorter for some of us.

Thanks to whoever brought this song back to life.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Floyd...great song...great hook...11 years have passed...you had "it" then and you have "it" now...the limb you climbed out on is still strong and growing...I've never heard a bad or even mediocre production from you...glad you found BiaB and I bet the BiaB folks are glad too!

I wonder the same thing every time I hear one of your tunes.

Dewey and Dan (That would make a great name for a duo!)

Since you both asked, I thought I'd tell you a few stories.
I don't normally do that here unless it is specific to the song. There are plenty of folks who re-tell their 40-year-old glory-days-stories (over and over).
I choose to present my work and let folks form their own opinions, glory or gory.
A few here have heard some (or many) of these stories - because they have become friends through the years of emailing, phone calls, face-to-face, writing together, singing together, talking music for hours because it's what we all love. The forum is such a comfortable place - and has been for the entire time I've been here... nothing else like it. Home.
This response will likely only be viewed by a few people because, after all, who's gonna come back for these responses after all this time? (hopefully the two of you, but, if not, so-be-it ). That's a good thing. Buried here in my first post

Yes, I have had my songs pitched. I didn't pitch 'em. The publishers did. They included the biggest publishers in the business - pitched to the biggest names in the business. Several of my co-writers were big names in the business. Needless to say, that helps (or you might say more than helps), but that doesn't happen unless you are capable of doing the work to get into that position. Part of "doing the work" is developing your craft to the point that you are accepted into situations that lead you where you need/want to be. (Dan - I always wonder if you were pitching to Christian Country artists in the 70's and 80's - because you have the chops)
Success? I wouldn't call it that. (Though closer than most folk ever get).
Still... near misses for the most part (or the whole part).

I lived in Nashville for 15 years. And...yes...We sold our house, packed up everything and headed to Nashville on a wing and a prayer. No jobs lined up. And the flimsiest of chances.
I had made a trip to Nashville about 9 months prior to that. 4 days, 4 songs on a cassette tape. Recorded on a 4-track Tascam cassette recorder (hey, it was good enough for Springsteen). No appointments. And, here is how naive (stupid) I was at the time - I went from Friday to Monday (drove from St. Louis). If it's not obvious why that is stupid, well then...
At the time, I subscribed to a new songwriter's magazine (a charter member! I believe it was called "SongCrafter") that had offices on the Row (The UA Tower, then). I dropped in. The guy who ran it (I doubt there were more than 2 or 3 people who worked there) was willing to listen. 1992 - by then you couldn't "drop in" ANYWHERE in Nashville. So this was no big-time magazine. BUT...he sent me upstairs to a publisher in the building (this story is already getting too long and will only get longer. One of the reasons I keep my stories to 3-minutes with music). Don Somebody (I don't recall his last name, but I have it buried somewhere on a contract - memorabilia). Anyway...he listened to my 4 songs. And printed out single-song contracts for 3 of them (on a dot-matrix printer). I didn't sign them - I'd get back to him later. The following day (night) I went to try to see the show at the Bluebird. While waiting (an hour before the first show) I met a woman who claimed to be a publisher. She was willing to listen. Had an office BELOW THE BLUEBIRD. How could THAT not be Big Time? We went to office, she listened and wanted to sign the 4th song!! (wasn't interested in the other 3) Also printed off a single song contract. didn't sign that either (though I would later sign that one and send it to her). If you look back, I likely told this story when I posted it here (Praying For Rain).
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=462314#Post462314
That was my only trip there. Until I lost my job (a big-time sales job in real-time computers at the end of big-time computers). SO... I figured that Nashville was just sitting there waiting for me to show up so we could carry on from where we left it.
I can see this is turning into a book. But I've started...
An aside: The FIRST song I heard at a writers night (at a run-down club in Hendersonville owned by legendary bluegrasser Bill Monroe) was "Don't Take The Girl" (this was a few weeks before it was released to radio).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vn6QdqxK3g
Craig Martin (one of the writers) could tear your heart out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYSP5zyRYJk&t=50s
His next number was “What Will You Do With M-E”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5upzBuF3M

And I thought "Oh. My. God. WHAT have I DONE?" I moved my family here!!!

At the time, there were hundreds (or thousands) of wannabes flooding into Nashville every week. Most don't have a chance-in-hell. The majority go home (don't sell your house, fergodsakes!!) when the money runs out in a few weeks or months. Few are really good enough to make it - but they will blame "the system" or "the gate keepers" (a truly stupid term - there are no "gate keepers"...simply publishers who need Great songs and know where most of those are going to come from). Makes for a good story back home.

My craft was fairly decent (opinion, of course - again you can judge for yourself - I've posted pre-90's song here - they haven't change since they were written), but I lacked the Polished Commercial side - the thing that makes a song really "pop" and be Radio-worthy. I knew I had to work on it and figure it out myself. Writing every day, alone or with co-writers. Writers nights most nights (far too many Bud Lights along the way). Personally, I believe that the number one MUST in getting better as a writer is Knowing You Aren't Good Enough. That is not an easy thing. Because most people think they ARE good enough. They won't get any better (why mess with something when you are already good at?). I likely thought that the day I walked into town. It took about a WEEK for me to figure out - "I gotta get a whole lot better!"

Over time, I developed (as good a word as any). As I got stronger, my co-writers got stronger (meaning the people who were willing to write with me were at a higher level). Established writers (with #1 songs) heard me at a writers night (Douglas Corner and The Bluebird Cafe were good for me), and invited me to write with them. Some of those songs started getting published and pitched. A couple of those writers tried to help get me a deal by setting me up with meeting with publishers they knew. Danny Mayo was very good to me and got me into several. He also introduced me to other writers in an attempt to get them to write with me. One of those was his daughter Aimee, who was just getting started at the time. We talked briefly about getting together, but I never followed up. One of my truly big idiot moves. Aimee went on to be a bigger name than her dad. That reminds of my one "star-struck" moment... Danny called me to come to his office to write with he and Bucky Jones. After introducing me to Bucky, he took me to the office next his and introduced me to Bob McDill and Dickey Lee. Then he took me to the office on the other side of him and introduced me to Dan (Sometimes When We Touch) Hill. All these MegaStar Songwriters - and me. How'd I get here? Talk about being humbled... I could barely breathe. (I also met Harlan Howard the one time I wrote with Rory Feek. I figured while I was name-dropping, I ought to drop The Biggest). I would imagine that Roger Brown - who haunts these forum on occassion - knew all these guys and was friends with several. I just met them in passing.
Another aside: At one of the first publisher meetings I had (like a "for real" publisher - maybe 2 years into my "journey") I was told "these are close" as I was handed back my cassette. That was all. Intended as the close of the meeting. But I asked "Can you tell me what is lacking? What needs improving?" And she said "That's not my job. That's your job." That was the last time I asked. Knowing You Aren't Good Enough should be all the motivation you need.
Which reminds me of another "aside": When I was new in town, very green, I was at a tile store - a small showroom kind of place with a seating area for perusing catalogs - when Trace Adkins walked in and sat down. I, of course, had a cassette of my latest batch of "bests" and waved it at him and asked if he would take it and listen. He got so PISSED I thought he was gonna slug me (I'm sure one punch would be all he needed. He is a Big man)). I never tried that again. The ultimate Nashville No-No. Ya Live Ya Learn (well, there was an exception - when Mila Mason ran into the back of my truck - because she was reaching down to pick up a tape of songs that she was listening to for her next one).

This is years in the making. You eat, sleep, drink, dream Songwriting.
About 6 years in (there is a reason they call it a 10-year town), I played Steven Farmer's night at The Commodore (an "invited" writers nights. Most were just-sign-up, but Steven made you "audition" at the end of the night (late) before he'd give you a spot) and Ralph Murphy was the featured writer (Steven often had a "name" as the feature). You likely know Ralph's name. He lectured all over the world on "how to write hit songs" (some are on YouTube). At the time he was a VP at ASCAP. As I walked back to my seat after playing my 3 songs, Ralph stopped me and asked "What's happening with your music?" I literally just looked at him and laughed. He immediately knew what that meant and said "Call my office and let's see what we can do". I told him I was signed with BMI (who, btw, never did anything for me - got a few stories about that, too) and he said "I don't care about that".
The first time I saw him (his office), after 3 songs, he picked up the phone and called Sony. And got me an appointment with a writer's rep (John. Can't recall his last name, but I think he went on to bigger things at Sony). And he called Almo-Irving. And another (don't recall, but similar). Those meetings stretched out over about a month and when nothing got going, Ralph set me up with some more (about a month later). We did this a few times. After about 6 months (a lot of down time, here), a meeting with HoriPro Entertainment Group paid off.
https://musicrow.com/2019/03/mojo-music-acquires-nashvilles-horipro-entertainment-group/
I was offered a one-year staff writing contract. Needless to say, I was to-the-moon.

A whole bunch of things happened next which caused this moment to stretch out too long (3 months, in fact).
I should have just signed the contact that day and been done with it. I could have at least said "I had a staff job." It was a fairly standard first-timer contract, certainly nothing nefarious. (Big writers with Big Hits can negotiate for better terms. A newbie? Just sign the damn thing)
They told me to have someone (a music lawyer) look it over if I wanted and bring it back when I signed it.
Tony Lane (who I had known since we both came to town 6 years prior) had just gotten his first staff job, so I asked him who he used. I took it to them. (Tony went on to have a very successful writing career - find his record and listen - you'll understand why). Back to the lawyers - They'd get to it when they could. I called back 2 weeks later and the guy had just left on vacation. When he was supposed to be back, I called and he was out-of-town on business. I ended up picking the contract up without them doing anything. When I called HoriPro, the guy I was working with was out-of-town-on-business. One thing after another and when I finally got back in (3 months later) to turn in the signed contract, they had decided to "hold off for a while". I was welcome to come hang out and write with their writers and "we'll see where that goes". There were internal politics of some kind going on and I got caught in the middle (best I know).
I was crushed.
Took some time off to try to gather myself.
I quit going to writers night. I quit making appointments to write. We were building a house in the country so I spent all my time working on that. I stopped listening to radio. (I had listened to nothing but Top-40 Country every day all day).
I did not pick up my guitar. Got a "real" job.
Turned out that lasted 10 years (no guitar. no radio. no music)
Then, one day I started writing again. Then I found (the new) BIAB. Haven't looked back since. (and I don't intend to tell this story again).

These are tid-bits. Small moments over a long period. There are a lot of stories, but in the end they are just more near-misses.
When I had the meeting at Sony, "One More Star"
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256714#Post256714
was on the tape. My home production (before the marvel of BIAB) included a drum track that I pieced together from a CD of drum passages. John (the rep) had apparently been a drummer, so he hated my drum track. But he liked the song and thought it would be a fit for Diamond Rio - who was in the studio recording at the time. He asked if I could get rid of the drum track so that he could take it to them in the studio. Of course, I got him a re-mix the next day. What happened after that, I have no idea. Would have been uncool to ask (or bug him further - I had gotten smarter). And here is another weirdly cool thing. He said I'd "get lost" there because they had 125 signed writers. Big ones. So he called Clay Bradley at EMI (a smaller publisher - they had about a dozen writers, I think) and said "I've got a guy in my office you ought to hear" - and got me an appointment with another publisher! In that meeting...Clay was receptive to my songs (he particularly like "Rev. Bob"),
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=219927#Post219927
but said he only had one opening at the time and was looking for an edgy female perspective. "And, besides" he said "you write a lot like Mark Sanders. And Mark already works for us." A high praise rejection. That was new. Don't know if any of that was true ('cause what publisher wouldn't want 2 Mark D. Sanders?), but it all sounded good. Clay was my BMI rep when I signed there when I got to town. He hadn't even given me encouragement in my first BMI meeting (I'm sure he did not remember me from then). SO, it was another surprise when he picked up the phone and called Harry at BMG (it might have been Harvey - I should remember his last name. He was a long establish Nashville big wig) and said "I've got a guy in my office you should hear"... and arrange an appointment for me at BMG (similar results in the end).
Even with the rejection, I had a sense of "validation" having been from Ralph to John to Clay to Harry - based on each of their recommendations)

I had songs published and pitched by the biggest publishers in the business - Sony, BMG, Almo-Irving, Millhouse (and a few others).
I had some holds. Most were fleeting. Very short holds. A long hold, I talked about the one that got recorded then drop (Two Left Feet).
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=744800#Post744800

I had some independent cuts. Three of my co-writers put out records (which at that time was a pretty expensive thing to do - nothing like now). I had 5-6 co-writes on each of those (which, of course, means nothing), but one - which was produced by Clay Mills - was picked up by a German record company. They released several singles from it. Two of them (my writes) reached #2 on the European Independent Chart (who knew there was such a thing?). One of them was kept out of the #1 spot by a Earl Thomas Conley independent cut. I made close to 2 grand in air-play royalties. Chicken feed compared to what a hit on the US charts would bring. (example - Craig Martin and Larry Johnson who I knew, casually, from that fateful day I walked into The Bell Cove and heard "Don't Take The Girl" each made $600K on that song. And then blew through it as quickly as they made it).
I'm rambling, I know. It was all a long time ago and my memory has aged just as much as I have (maybe more), so there is lot I don't recall. I don't regret for one second having made the attempt. Good memories (the ones still left), no sour grapes.
I believe that I got to experience The Golden Age of Nashville Songwriting along with a number of folks who were a real part of it. A magical time. One that will likely never happen again. I count myself lucky.

Near-misses. A euphemism for "failure".
When all is said and done... That and a buck will get ya a cup of coffee.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd ...

I remember a few months back when I posted a song of the same name, you mentioned your very first post on this forum was entitled "Out On A Limb". I am so dang happy to finally hear it. And what a great song.

Ya know, I believe we're all born with a certain set of skills and talents. What makes the difference is which of us discover those skills and develop them for the benefits they provide. In this case, the benefit is the great enjoyment the rest of us get from your efforts and willingness to share. That said, only a small percent of us hone those skills to your level. This song perfectly defines my thoughts about all that.

I'll close with a sincere thank you for the treasured enjoyment your music has brought me and the help you offer to others to improve their skills.

I'm here only because you heard one of my songs on another board (you know - that other one!) and invited me to join this group. I'm not sure I've ever received a more rewarding invitation.

And thank you for the grace you bring to this forum.

Alan and Di

Thanks, Alan. I'm glad you are here, too...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
History - a song about a limb that sets a bar.

A good line. Songwriter.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Thanks so much to whomever brought this gem back from the past. Floyd, I was quite excited thinking that maybe --just maybe- I'll finally hear one of yours that wasn't as amazing as every other one I've heard. Dang! Still no proof that you're actually human. One question: Did you come from the same planet as Paul McCartney and Danny Gatton? Out on a limb, eh? I'd say that is a pretty sturdy limb there fella. Although I too have had this software since the floppy days, I've never heard it put to better use. Thank you!!

Marty - you do the Best reviews!! Thanks for ALL your support over these many songs. It was a good day when you joined us on this journey....
Posted By: rsdean Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:47 PM
Floyd,

Those stories are awesome. I enjoyed reading every word. You should write a book.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
That was one excellent first post! Glad somebody bumped it. Don't know if this was updated in any way from initial release, but sounds amazing as is. Easy listen and thank you for being here!

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. This is the original (from 11 years ago). When I listen to it, I think "yeah, sounds like a guy who just got BIAB" - a bit too much steel, a bit too much fiddle - because we are THRILLED we can FINALLY have steel and fiddle in our song - Like Real Country!

smile

(I should probably do a new production of this)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
It has FJ printed all over it.
Like a Johnny Cash song, we can tell an FJ one straight out of the box
Keep it up, Floyd.

Vic

Thanks, vic...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

I can't believe I missed this one all those years ago... It's just great and a window into what we would hear from you in the future.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. You were here before me - and were putting out the same high quality you do today...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
First, I like the song. I did not get here till 2015, so I never had a chance to listen.

You always do first-class stuff no matter what David says...lol

We can always use a bit of the past here. The time here is growing shorter by the day for all of us. Perhaps a lot shorter for some of us.

Thanks to whoever brought this song back to life.

Cheers,

Billy

Hi, Billy! Nice to have you drop by....
Posted By: David Snyder Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/16/23 11:29 PM
Wait!!

The latest additions in this thread can be turned into a movie!

The backstory is Tinsel Town gold! Forget Nashville!! This is Hollywood Baby!

Mr.Jane, don't you see!!???

We get Jason Aldean and Lady Gaga.

We call it Last Dance with Floyd and Jane.

She loves HIM but she hates country music, and so she drinks herself into a coma.

He flies into a blind rage and blames it on his song plugger, the evil Mr. Snider.

While he is driving to NC to strangle Mr. Snider, he writes just one more song with BIAB and it gets cut by Cardi B!!!!!

Can't you see it!!

OMG!

This is a MOVIE man!!!!

Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/17/23 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I did not pick up my guitar. Got a "real" job.
Turned out that lasted 10 years (no guitar. no radio. no music)
Then, one day I started writing again.

Thanks for making and uploading music again smile
You may not have made it, but it makes me happy to listen to your music, and I'm not even a fan of your genre.
Posted By: Redeye Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/17/23 03:46 PM
Nice.

Strong lyrics. Sweet arrangement. Good message.

Well done.
Posted By: PeterF Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/17/23 10:15 PM
floyd

Enjoyed the song and really enjoyed your comprehensive and fascinating post.

Peter
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/18/23 01:11 PM
Awesome story of someone putting their talents and passion into the Nashville chipper-shredder, Floyd! I read every word and it's a story I've heard several times by acquaintances and friends - at least in the general sense.

I was down there for two years (89-90) but you made a heckuva lot more progress then I ever did! You should be proud of all those near misses and the ones you actually did have success getting recorded. You should consider joining NSAI. I assume you know about it already, but I think it's a great org for networking and staying inspired with and by other songwriters around the world.

I agree that BIAB is a great tool for songwriters. To be honest, they should hire me as their marketing manager with all the kudos I've given it to folks in and out of my chapter. LOL

Again, thanks for the inspiring and amazing recall of your songwriting past, Floyd.

Dewey
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" - 08/19/23 06:53 PM
A great story by a great storyteller!! Unfortunately, my computer would not play the song, but I love the lyrics! I think the members of this forum have been extremely lucky to have gained input from and exposure to someone who was really in a place where it really was happening. It must have been fun. Why your songs never made it to the radio my friend, I will never understand.......a lot of greatness was missed out on by the country radio audience. So glad that we had the benefit that they never got. Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums