PG Music Home
Posted By: BruceI Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/14/12 02:19 PM
Hi all. I haven't posted here for a while, since I mainly use BIAB for songwriting and use instruments played by my producer and myself on my recordings. But this week I dredged up an old song that I still like and tried it out with some RealTracks (I forget which style, classy something, jazz piano, bass, and drums). It sounded good so I brought in Roger to add a clean hollow-body electric part. The vocal is still a bit rough and the mix needs work, but I decided to share since this is 75% BIAB, which still amazes me. Wonderful product. Time to upgrade and get some fresh styles!

http://soundcloud.com/flyingsinger/drambuie-rough-vocal-and-mix

Comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Bruce Irving
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/15/12 02:09 AM
Good job. BIAB is truly amazing, isn't it! Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/15/12 02:32 PM
Nice smooth jazzy lounge feel. Nice recording.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/15/12 09:19 PM
Janice said she could dance in the kitchen while listening to this: Translation -> good song! Mellow but also has a bit of an edge.
Could hear Diana Krall doing this number.
Posted By: BruceI Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/16/12 02:36 PM
Thanks for the listen and for the kind comments. For reference (since I now realize we should provide these sorts of details), here's what I used on this track.

Tempo is 100 bpm
Style _J085_BD Classy easy swing ballad (85 RS)
~481 Bass, acoustic jazz
~487 Piano, acoustic jazz ballad
RD JazzBrushesSticks

The guitar is a Gretsch hollow-body, not sure of the specific type, played clean into the Cakewalk UA-1G USB audio interface I use for recording (PC is Toshiba Qosmio X775 lap-crusher if you're interested). The DAW is Sonar X1 (d I think). I imported the rendered, normalized audio tracks from BIAB to Sonar and used them mostly straight, though I actually imported three different "takes" from BIAB. I mostly used the third take but grabbed a few bars of piano from the other takes for parts that went better with the melody at some point.

I also imported the RealDrums MIDI track and used that for guidance in adding a few strategic cymbal hits using the jazz kit from EZDrummer.

I'm not a jazz singer and I don't think I'm getting the right swing feel in this vocal. I will try a few more takes when my allergies subside. I was listening to some Sinatra in the car last night for inspiration.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/17/12 01:47 AM
Hi Bruce,

I found this a very pleasant, easy-to-listen-to song. In fact, I'm going back for another listen right now!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/17/12 07:43 PM
Sounds great to me!

Your vocal is super so I would say that you could pass as a jazz singer.

Great lounge music!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/18/12 10:28 AM
Scotch and soda, jigger o' gin . . . wait--I hear a new standard. Nice work.

R.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Drambuie (rough vocal and mix) - 09/19/12 10:35 PM
Makes me wanna have a Rusty Nail or maybe Drambuie on the rocks in a smokey Jazz lounge, you could be a Jazz singer Bruce. Nice Guitar picking Robert!
© PG Music Forums