PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/16/12 07:53 PM
Janice and I took the old traditional gospel themed blues song "John the Revelator" and pretty throughly rearranged it for this Bluegrass version. Son House is known for this tune and it has been done more recently by Warren Haynes and Ollabelle. We had to nearly double the tempo and slightly change the chord structure. So here's an old traditional "call and response" 19th century gospel style done up for Bluegrass.

This genere bending is getting to be fun and PG Music sure opens up the options. We played for nearly 20 years in a bluegrass band and briefly in an acoustic blues group so that helps a bit. This one was a lot easier than the "Reggae Billy" tune that we did a few months ago.

If you are a bluegrass fan this tune might work for you -- if not there are support groups for folks who have experienced their first exposure to the genere

Instrumental tracks: All Realtracks
Vocal tracks: Blue USB mic
Mixing/effects: Garageband

http://soundcloud.com/mootsman/john-the-revelator
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/16/12 08:33 PM
hi mootsman i enjoyed very much love bluegrass and our lord never heard this in gospel form great job thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/16/12 09:47 PM
Vocal performance is excellent. Bluegrass fits the song well. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Posted By: MarioD Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/17/12 07:57 PM
A really good rendition of an old gospel/blues song.

Works for me!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/18/12 03:35 PM
Thanks y'all. I'm working on a new mix with different instrumentation. I'll play bass on it and add a Realtrack dobro. Wish we could find somebody local to sing the second part where Janice wouldn't have to do both of them. She did the "call and response" well but it would sound better with a different voice. She does a lot of three part harmony on many of our recordings simply because we live in the hinterlands and have no vocalists to call on.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/18/12 04:15 PM
DITTO to all those things already said! NICE.
A tasetful production and wonderful vocals.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/18/12 09:43 PM
Hi Bud,

While I was listening to your song, my foot spontaneously started tapping along and it didn't want to stop at any point in the song. This was a fantastic listen. You and and Janice are incredibly skilled musicians. For what it's worth (I suspect you've already thought of this and discarded the option), if you don't manage to find another singer for the 'response', you could make it sound a bit different by having Janice harmonize it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/19/12 10:26 PM
I Love this song, and Yall did it right! Janice has a Great Voice and it sounds like a real band did it, great mix!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/20/12 12:31 AM
Hey Mootsman,

Very enjoyable as it is but I think Noel's suggestion of adding harmony to the response would make it even better.

Nicely done.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Blues/Gospel/Bluegrass Song - 09/20/12 01:53 AM
Mootsman,

Always did like this song. Like previously stated, it does lend itself well to bluegrass. Great job!

Steve
© PG Music Forums