PG Music Home
Posted By: MrEd Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 09:23 PM
Hello everyone

This is another song that we recorded a few years ago using a keyboard for backing tracks. I completely reworked the music using BIAB - I then added the vocals from the original tracks. I played acoustic rhythm guitar but everything else is BIAB. My friend Dewayne wrote the lyrics and sings all the vocals.

Thanks
Mike

http://soundcloud.com/mred/back-to-yesterday
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 09:44 PM
Your vocal is superb. Sort of a mix between Rod Stewart and Journey. Love the classic rock feel, fits the song perfect. Harmonies are right on. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 10:03 PM
Thanks PG for listening and for the comments. It really is enjoyable putting together a project like this with all the tools available.

Mike
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 10:15 PM
Hi Mike,

What a great song! Everything about it is excellent: the writing, the arranging, the singing, the production - all top notch! The work is a real credit to you and Dewayne. It sounded like something that could sit well with a large number of singers. If it hasn't yet made its way into the realm of professional artists, it sure has the potential to do so.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 10:26 PM
Mike,

Very cool. Agree with what everyone has said... great vocals on this.

Bob
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/16/12 10:58 PM
Noel & Bob

Thank you for listening and for the kind words. Dewayne and I have recorded a lot of songs over the years and I like being able to take the vocals from those recordings, adding new music with BIAB and then mixing it in Sonar. We are working on some other projects but it's a slow process.

Thanks again
Mike
Posted By: BruceI Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/17/12 12:37 AM
I agree, it's a very strong tune and a nice, heartfelt vocal. You must have had a metronome going with the original keyboard part because the BIAB parts fit the vocal perfectly.

One thing I would like to hear is a bit more change-up in the drum part or maybe some change in instrument or strum style or something for verse 2 and the bridge. You can hear the BIAB string-like pad come in, probably the B style which does change the drum part and fills somewhat. Maybe add some tambourine? I just like to hear things changing and building a bit more. Also the drums are a bit muffled in the mix.

(One thing I did on my recent "Drambuie" was to bring in the MIDI drum part along with the exported RealTracks into Sonar X1 - this way I could see what the drummer was playing and add a few strategic cymbal hits I wanted to hear on some transitions, using drum sounds from SD3 or in my case EZDrummer.)

But these are minor things - overall it's a very cool song.

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/17/12 01:02 AM
Hello Bruce

Thanks for your post and suggestions. The original music track was created with a workstation that included backing tracks and therefore a metronome wasn't necessary as the timing was automatic.

Thanks for listening.

Mike
Posted By: MarioD Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/17/12 07:46 PM
Quote:

Hi Mike,

What a great song! Everything about it is excellent: the writing, the arranging, the singing, the production - all top notch! The work is a real credit to you and Dewayne. It sounded like something that could sit well with a large number of singers. If it hasn't yet made it's way into the realm of professional artists, it sure has the potential to do so.

All the best,
Noel

A BIG +1.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/18/12 12:11 AM
Mario

Thanks for listening and for the two thumbs up.

Mike
Posted By: Sundance Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/20/12 01:00 AM
Mike,

Engaging melody. Strong chorus. Dewayne sounds great on the vox and harmonies. Really nice job on updating and incorporating the new tracks.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/20/12 01:51 AM
Mike,

What can I say... Excellent! Really enjoyed this. Great job on the vocals. Like Noel said, this could fit a lot of vocalists. Don Henley, Rod Stewart, even Vince Gill, etc.

Thanks for sharing this!

Steve
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/20/12 03:36 AM
Josie

Thank you for listening and taking the time to comment. BIAB has provided a lot of inspiration for retrieving these songs and adding new music.

Mike
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/20/12 03:40 AM
Steve

I have read your mixing tips and I am using some of the suggestions.
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your know-how.

Mike
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/21/12 03:29 AM
Lovely song. I hear the Eagles influence. Production is top rate. Great lyrics and vocals. This is a real masterpiece. I love it.

Great job!

p.s. Yes, I can hear Rod the Mod doing this one too.
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/21/12 11:28 AM
jptjptjpt

Thanks for your comments. Dewayne has been in several bands over the years that covered a lot of artists including Rod Stewart and the Eagles.

I have been using some of the great mixing tips from the forums and also trying different plug-ins found in Sonar X1. I'm no expert but I am learning with each song we do.

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/23/12 10:47 PM
Nice production. Over the years I've found this tempo a challenge whether playing live, recording or mixing. Hard to hide anything in the mix with a tune like this. Good work all the way around.
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/24/12 12:32 AM
Mootsman

You're right the tempo is challenging. I would liked to have had a stronger intro but nothing else seemed to fit.

Thanks for your comments.

Mike
Posted By: occ Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/26/12 05:44 AM
I like this song!! It reminds me of my younger days. It is a real belt buckle polisher. occ
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/26/12 03:37 PM
Mike,
Very nice song. Thanks.
SD
Posted By: rharv Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/27/12 12:14 AM
Well done MrEd
Reworking a good song can be well worth the effort. Cool to see how PGMusic stuff can help rework stuff. Thanks for sharing this.
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/27/12 12:08 PM
OCC & Spacedog

Thanks for taking the time to listen and commenting.

Mike
Posted By: MrEd Re: Back To Yesterday - 09/27/12 12:12 PM
rhav

I have a few more songs that we recorded over the years and hope to re-work those as well.

Thanks for listening.

Mike
© PG Music Forums