PG Music Home
This is a work in progress. It was originally a country song but recently I was trying out RT styles and liked the sound of _SOUL60S with tambourine (even 8 feel) which is more or less straight Motown. Then Roger (my producer/guitarist) came over and replaced the drums (in Sonar X1 with EZ Drummer) with a more rock feel, and also played new bass and guitar parts. Now it's more of a blues-rock thing, and we were discussing horns. I also tried a new vocal, more rock feeling.

Then today I heard some amazing sax on some tracks posted here and decided to see what I have for RT sax parts in BIAB. Not too many, but one of them, 416: Sax, tenor, HipHop, Rock Sw 100 (Bluesy) works pretty well. I still need to copy/paste some better sax riff fills from the various parts in the track (most of it is muted but a lot of good parts are in there since the same chords repeat a lot), and it needs work on the drums, guitar, BG vox, etc. But I'm liking how it's going. Aside from the added sax, the only RT part left in is 1578 Piano. Comments and suggestions welcome!

http://soundcloud.com/flyingsinger/why-doesnt-somebody-stop-me-in

Can anyone suggest any other RT sets that contain sax parts that could work with rock/blues songs?

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce, I really like this one. Great backing tracks, leads (both sax and guitar), drums and the vocals were outstanding. Personally I wouldn’t change a thing all I would do is to master it.

Two thumbs up as is!
Thanks Mario! I actually replaced the SoundCloud file with a new version with a re-done vocal and a bit of work on the drums.

As I've been listening to more of other folks' tracks with the many available RealTracks styles, and reviewing what is in each $79 to $99 package, I decided that I "needed" to buy at least 3 or 4 additional RT sets. So this morning I decided to just bite the bullet and order the "Ultra" package on a hard drive.

I figure that every music making tool I buy is good for at least one song, and I've been getting a lot of mileage the last year out of cheap music apps on the iPod Touch and iPad (my favorites are GarageBand, ChordBot, ThumbJam, Animoog, iShred, and StrumStage - all under $5 each when I bought them, and all have produced at least one song, though GB has given birth to dozens). Of course BIAB has launched MANY songs over the years, and I figure that each RealTracks set probably counts as a "tool" - so I am looking at hundreds of new songs from this one purchase! A "bahgain" as we say in New England.

Cheers,
Bruce

P.S. "Dozens of songs" makes it sound like I'm incredibly proficient. I am - at STARTING songs. And often with producing a first verse and chorus. It's those pesky second verses and bridges that hold me up. What I need is a good second-verse generation app. Or maybe RealLyrics for BIAB?
I think the song sounds pretty good. However, I just don't think that sax part really fits in there. It sounds sort of disconnected from the backing track. Just my opinion. though.
Definitely a valid point, Kevin. I go back and forth on feeling like it fits or not, and whether it's just a matter of doing a better job with EQ, reverb, etc. to make it sit better in the mix. The sax is not from the style I used, and in fact I was worried that this swing-feel sax part would not work at all with the even-feel _SOUL60S style that I based the track on (though Roger has since replaced the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar with live parts and custom-programmed drums, so the feel of the original style isn't as apparent). But rhythmically, it seems to work OK.

I like it on the intro - it's a really blazing start to the song. I'm less sure of the riffs inserted between lyric phrases in the verses. They do sort of sound "pasted on." I need some help from my producer to sort this out. I will also shortly have ALL the available sax parts from the various RT sets, so maybe I can find one that works better in the song if Roger and I can't "fix it in the mix."

Thanks,
Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Another great listen. You've sure got the knack for terrific lyrics and melodies. I think I agree with Kevin. I found myself wondering if the sax was the best choice and if a background instrumental would be more effective than a solo instrumental. I also found myself wondering how one of the organ tracks might sound. At the end of the day, though, these are just my thoughts. I pass them on in case they're worth something to you

All the best,
Noel
Hi Bruce,

Nice song. Well done. I do agree with the comments about the sax. Thanks for sharing this one.

Steve
Great track Bruce, I really enjoyed it. Love your voice!
The sax licks are ok to my ears and add interest when they pop in. My concern is that for this sort of song the drums need to be brought way up - I can bearly hear them and a rock toon like this needs them to be more prominent. A teeny bit of reverb on the vocal would be tasty also.
A fun listen nevertheless, nicely done!

John
"someboday stop meee!" LOL! Fun song and love your voice Bruce.

I agree with John. On a song like this, I think you should crank the drums, the bass not too far behind, pull the sax back in the mix a hair and throw a little dash of reverb on the vox so that band is rocking the room. Personally I've never been partial to the side lead solo mix....just my taste.

Good work.

BTW, you made a great decision getting the ultra pack. You'll be amazed how you can mix different RT's together and find yourself using ones you never thought you would. It's the best bang for the buck imo. Prepare to have a blast of fun!
Sax and guitar parts excel. Very good production work. Vocal is spot on! Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Thanks everyone - great (if mixed) suggestions. I have a session with my producer today where I will try to get this track fixed up.

Haven't been here much this week, I've been busy trying to catch up with work so I can take some time off when my daughter gives birth to our first granddaughter, which should be today or tomorrow. Very exciting, and after she arrives and my daughter and her husband hear the "top secret" song I wrote for her, I will share that song here as well. Another big assist from BIAB.
Love the Lyrics, I agree the drums should be louder. Don't think there is a Sax RT that would fill this style very good. Brent Mason guitar might fit if you want to try something different.
© PG Music Forums