PG Music Home
Posted By: Pete Stobbs How about you? - 10/15/12 11:38 AM
Hi,

Song not quite finished yet.
Would like some feedback re vocals i.e do you compress before adding reverb etc.

SoudCloud

RD: NASHVILLEEVEN8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RT700: Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RT365: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RT1118: Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
1422 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100

Pete
Posted By: Tano Music Re: How about you? - 10/15/12 02:08 PM
Good start...I would suggest adding maybe an 8-bar differentiating scheme in the middle, maybe going to a minor key, but resolving back into your main key. I can't comment on your vocal mastering question, don't knwo much about that. Keep workin' it!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: How about you? - 10/15/12 02:26 PM
Here is a link to some advice on mixing vocals. It's done in Logic Pro8 but the info will work in any DAW.
http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixi...essional-sound/
Posted By: Pete Stobbs Re: How about you? - 10/15/12 03:37 PM
Thanks for that Tommyc and Tano Music.
Posted By: Pete Stobbs Re: How about you? - 10/19/12 04:29 PM
Submitted this song to You License and now it's in the Chart.
Anyone know how a song gets in the You License Chart?

http://www.youlicense.com/Default.aspx

Pete
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: How about you? - 10/19/12 05:51 PM
To my ears vocal treatment fits the song very well! Put some lead instruments in in the bar breaks and you are on the way to a very good song. Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Soundcloud
Posted By: Pete Stobbs Re: How about you? - 10/19/12 09:48 PM
Pg,
Thanks for the comment. Added Cello on the the first break but I am stuck about adding anything else.

Still wondering what the criteria is on getting in the chart?

Pete
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How about you? - 10/20/12 06:48 AM
Hi Pete,

I've just finished listening to your and song and wanted to tell you that I enjoyed it. I also had a read of the article Tommy recommended and it's a good one. The ideas in it are worth playing around with.

One plug in that's great for vocals is Nectar (by iZoptope). It has ALL the features listed in Tommy's article plus more. It also has a truck load of presets. What I usually do is to use Nectar's presets to find a sound that suits the song. I then use that as my the starting place for tweaking my vocals. Often I don't have to change too much.

All the best with your composing,
Noel
Posted By: BruceI Re: How about you? - 10/20/12 06:52 PM
Very nice feel and melody - Jane's vocal adds a nice contrast to the middle section whether it's exactly a bridge or not.

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: How about you? - 10/21/12 04:56 PM
This has a cool mid-60s vibe that goes good with the song's subject matter. Since you are asking about the vocals, that's what I'll comment on. They have a neat Sandpipers feel (I think they were a band in this style). I would increase the vox and mix them into the overall sound a bit more, and maybe a touch of reverb. But they are very nice and fit the style/subject matter well.
Posted By: Pete Stobbs Re: How about you? - 10/21/12 08:28 PM
Thanks for the comments y'all. It's interesting the different views we all have(guess that's because we ARE all different;))

Many thanks

Pete
Posted By: Steve Young Re: How about you? - 10/22/12 03:08 AM
Pete,

I like the song. I agree, it does have a 60's feel to it. Some good advice above about mixing the vocals.

Thanks for sharing this!

Steve
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: How about you? - 10/23/12 07:36 PM
Pete,
I liked the song too but had a hard time hearing the vocals over the guitars.
SD
Posted By: Pete Stobbs Re: How about you? - 10/23/12 08:25 PM
Toned down the guitars and upped the vocals.
How's that?

Pete
Posted By: gibson Re: How about you? - 10/24/12 05:59 PM
That would go well in a side tent of the Cambridge (UK) Folk Festival!! with a harmonica or violin solo and a pint, or 2, of real ale, of course!

enjoyed

Alyn
© PG Music Forums