PG Music Home
Posted By: BruceI New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/20/12 07:12 PM
This is what I love about BIAB - almost instant gratification! Yesterday morning I heard SRV's "Pride & Joy" on the car radio on the way to work, and on the way home from work, the line "she loves me, I know that she does, but my baby won't say so" popped into my head. Indirectly inspired by SRV, I was singing the line in a bluesy style. I remembered that I have some Texas blues-rock RealTracks, so I decided to try to write and record a quick blues/rock song with that tag line (blues sub-genre: delusional male ). So today instead of doing things I SHOULD be doing, I finished the lyrics, added a bridge, and did a quick demo with BIAB and Sonar X2. Here's my first cut:

http://soundcloud.com/flyingsinger/my-baby-wont-say-so-v1-lp64-mm

RealTracks Style: _TBLZSHT TexBlzRockShufwSoloMedley (RD BluesRockShuffle^2, 1583 Bass, 1584 Rh. guitar, 1585 solo guitar, 1590 solo medley, with 1591 John Jarvis rocking piano added).

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/20/12 10:19 PM
LOVED IT!

Great hook, super backing tracks and a very strong vocal!

Who says that you shouldn’t be doing this? They are wrong!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/21/12 12:47 PM
Bruce,

It is terrific. I really like it. Great rock lyric. Your voice is nicely suited for the style - not many people can pull that off. Great use of the SRV-style tracks.

Since you did asked for suggestions... I have 2 (and this is one of those IMO kinds of things). For this type of song, (I think) the drums should be much more up front. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say they are currently about 4-5. Put them at 8.5-9 and this thing would REALLY ROCK! They should almost be featured along with the guitar.

The other is... since this is a short-ish song (which I like), you should let that guitar guy let loose at the end - for a long lead guitar fade-out.

Great job!! Keep it up.
Posted By: boehm Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/21/12 02:13 PM
It's got drive. Everything fits together.
Guenter
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/21/12 05:23 PM
Amazing that this was all at home. The home recording revolution is well underway. And, with tools like BIAB, things will never be the same.

Great recording.
Posted By: BruceI Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/22/12 02:48 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback on my first cut. I tweaked the lyrics a bit, now he's "dying" to hear the girl's words instead of "hoping." I redid the vocal with a little more confidence in what the melody actually is, and I trimmed one of the refrains at the end so now it's even shorter (2:40). Maybe I should extend the fade with some more soloing - NEXT version.

But I did re-mix it to put the drums much more out-front, and it does rock more now. Very good suggestion - thanks Floyd! Speaking of rocking more, has anyone heard the Stones' new single "Gloom and Doom"? It's classic Stones! Best in many years I think. Mick, Keith, & company are no spring chickens but they can still bring it when there's a new greatest hits collection to spice up.

I replaced the file on SoundCloud so the link is the same as the original post.

Thanks again,
Bruce
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/22/12 03:17 AM
Bruce,

Yes, Band in a Box is an awesome tool for us writers! It is really great to be able to put together an idea in such a short amount of time, and have it sound so good. Good job!

Steve
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/23/12 07:41 PM
Bruce,
Great song. Excellent vocals too.
SD
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/24/12 06:34 AM
Hi Bruce,

Very impressive!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/24/12 10:20 AM
Any song influenced by Stevie Ray works for me! Good job!

lyrics are very marketable.
Posted By: gibson Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/24/12 05:54 PM
I'd LOVE to solo with you on that, live. Trouble is I wouldnt sound that good.
Excellent live feel to the vocals

Quote:

So today instead of doing things I SHOULD be doing,

Yup, BIAB can be a real trouble maker stopping us doing the boring things of life!

Alyn
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New song "My Baby Won't Say So" - 10/28/12 07:28 PM
hi bruce great peace here love it all good everything thanks for sharing eric
© PG Music Forums