PG Music Home
Posted By: Kemmrich We Chose The Road - 11/14/12 04:13 PM
I am finally getting back to considering completing my CD, Thunderbird Motel, after too long of an extended absence. Here is a song I have decided to drop from the CD (ha, ha). It is not that I don't like it, it is just that the tempo, key and overall feel dictated that I swap a "peppier" one in it's place. I don't see any evidence that I have posted this one here before, so here it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Chose the Road
(c) Emmrich 2010, 2012

(verse)
Start the car and check the map
You drive first and we can chat
gas tank's full and the oil's checked
take a right and then two lefts

(chorus 1)
We chose the road or did it choose us
Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference
when adventures of life we come across
ya know it’s hard to not feel lost

(verse)
Past the fields and through small towns
there are many roads we'll never go down
I wonder what lies at the end of them
Do you turn around or is there another bend

(chorus 2)
I tell you things, but it’s not what I say
it's the silence in-between the phrase

(bridge)
I wonder when it all comes clear
is it now, tomorrow or never?
I can shake my fist, rant and rave
or just enjoy the time together

(chorus 1 again)
when adventures of life we come across
ya know it’s hard to not feel lost

(tag)
Start the car and check the map
Let’s get going, I feel trapped
take a left and another right
let’s go ‘til our past is out of sight.

Kevin: Vocals, acoustic guitar, slide guitar
BIAB Info:
bass (518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085),
drums (oops -- I didn't write down what drums I used!!, probably the nashville even 8 or something like that),
percussion (BossaBrushesPerc^1-a:Congas, No Kit , b:Congas, Shaker, Triangle, No Kit ),
acoustic guitars (676:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockBritEighths Ev 085 and ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085,
piano (1006:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment, PopCaliforniaSlow Ev 085),
banjos (1295:Banjo, Rhythm, ModernCountrySync Ev16 100 and 1035:Banjo, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065)
Key=D , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=3:28
Style is _SUGAR.STY (Pop Rock, w/ el.guit (102 RS))
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: We Chose The Road - 11/14/12 04:38 PM
Nice work! The mix is outstanding. I did notice some of the lyrics sound rushed. on the line "Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference" it sounds like you are saying "Sometimes its hard tell difference" maybe the compressor swallowed the other words, or maybe you just felt rushed. Just an Idea! On the tag after the line "let’s go ‘til our past is out of sight" let the music end, instead of picking back up, just an idea. Still a very strong tune! Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Posted By: MarioD Re: We Chose The Road - 11/14/12 08:30 PM
I think this is one great song. Loved the backing tracks, vocal and the lyrics.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: We Chose The Road - 11/15/12 12:41 AM
Beautiful song. Very good sound and great work with the realtracks.
Posted By: pariahdise Re: We Chose The Road - 11/15/12 01:09 AM
I liked this song, but I agree with you, it may be a bit mellow, given the lyrical context, some not so clean guitar and more brash lyrical emphasis, would make it more to my liking. But it's well written and has potential.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: We Chose The Road - 11/15/12 02:08 AM
nice job Kevin!

I liked:
1) the clarity you achieved in the mix
2) the way you wove different sounds into the song to keep it fresh
4) the choice of instruments
5) the topic was interesting and thought provoking
6) you have a rather unique voice, which fingerprints your songs
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: We Chose The Road - 11/15/12 11:20 AM
I liked the message that this song conveyed and I love the banjos. Thanks for posting.
JosieC
Posted By: floyd jane Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 12:16 AM
Kevin - I love your "sound". The production is wonderful. The mix is as good as they come. And you voice is very cool - it has character. Your "sound" reminds me of something or somebody, but I can't quite put my finger on it.. but I do like it. A lot.
Posted By: Sundance Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 06:11 AM
I like it Kevin. Thoughtful sentiment and top notch production. Some of the words were rushed but overall nice vocal vibe.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 09:34 AM
Quote:

Kevin - I love your "sound". The production is wonderful. The mix is as good as they come. And you voice is very cool - it has character. Your "sound" reminds me of something or somebody, but I can't quite put my finger on it.. but I do like it. A lot.

he sounds EXACTLY like Kevin Emmrich.. and that what's cool about his voice!

regarding the production quality... I've seen Kevin's songs on internet music sites for quite a while now... longer than most of the people here who just got started learning to mix since the advent of RB made it possible for the average home recording buff to get original songs completed and ready for the next step. So, he's invested some time in the craft, and it shows.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 10:08 AM
Hi Kevin,

I agree with everything that's been said. The whole package is excellent. I tip my hat to you regarding the mix. The minute the song started playing, I heard a voice in my head saying, "Gosh that's a great sound!" You've given me a quality that I need to aim for in my own works.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 09:13 PM
PgFantastic: Thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin. It does sound like "Sometimes its hard tell difference" -- ha, ha -- what can you do? (re-record it maybe!). There is probably just an extra syllable in that line that I have to cut. I missed that completely.

MarioD: thanks for the listen and the kind words.

Rafa T: Hello and welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

pariahdise: It's good to have variety. I like it the way it is, but too much of this makes for a dull CD. Thanks for the comments.

Pat Marr: I think the sparseness of the beginning instrumentation does help make the mix sound cleaner. As you add things in, it does hurt as much if you started out with everything! thanks for being very kind.

jo131: Thanks for taking the time out to listen and comment on this tune -- it is appreciated.

floyd jane: I think I did spend some time on the mix. In fact, I think I take more time mixing then recording or pick BIAB tracks these days. There are just so many changes and it takes a lot of time listen, turn it off, listen again, ... and so on. Thanks for coming around.

Sundance: hello and thank you for remarks and listen.

Pat Marr II: back again! I can still put out the turkeys, though (ha, ha). I wish it was a straight line to mixing success. It is often a step forward, two steps back, a couple more forward ... Every song present their own unique challenges. ... and you have to approach them as unique pieces!

Noel96: I'm running out of unique ways to say "thanks for listening" -- Good thing you're the last commenter. It takes a lot of time to listen to other's work and then more time to comment. It doesn't matter if the remarks are good or bad, the author of the tune just has to be grateful that folks listened! Of course, it is always more fun when folks seem to like it!

Kevin
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: We Chose The Road - 11/16/12 11:52 PM
hi kevin i like it very creative and well done thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: We Chose The Road - 11/22/12 07:24 PM
Wonderful song. I love the way you add in and take out instruments as the song goes along. Very nicely done. Well written and sung. Great use of BIAB.

I like this!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: We Chose The Road - 11/24/12 04:40 PM
Kevin,
I agree with all the other comments. Thanks for sharing.
OBTW. I'm utterly impressed by you folks who do the 50/90. I can only manange 1 or 2 in 90 days.
SD
© PG Music Forums