PG Music Home
Posted By: pariahdise Key of A - 11/14/12 10:24 PM
This one, will probably need some vocal editing as I go, but I am not worried much about it. Here is my latest release. Thanks for listening..

Key of A
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Key of A - 11/14/12 10:28 PM
I like the feel and sound of the chorus, that's a good one. The vocals during the first verse, though, seem a little disconnected from the underlying backing track. It seems like you are singing on top of the backing track -- it doesn't seem integrated. It seems to get better as it goes along -- so maybe it was just my initial impression. The best part of it is the originality of the overall sound. Pretty interesting and creative.
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/14/12 10:46 PM
Hmm, don't quite know what you mean, but if it's just the first verse, then so far so good there won't be a whole lot to touch up. If you care to elaborate, I am curious. I don't think you are referring to the lyrics being out of sync with the music, are you?

In any regard, I have cut the gain on the guitar, first verse.
Posted By: ROG Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 12:08 AM
Hey, I really like this track!

It's got a sort of edgy, raw quality to it, like it was a live recording. There's a lot of atmosphere in it and for me I wouldn't change anything. Like Kevin says, it's got originality, but it still managed to put me in mind of Jonathon Rickman, of whom I'm a great fan.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of the same.

ROG.
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 01:23 AM
Thank you, I am still updating and replacing the mp3, so it's gotten better since I posted it. From the quietness of the thread, I was beginning to think that, rock & roll, might not be so welcome round here. And was only just thinking to myself that if this is the case, then I will do my best to change that

I kind of go with the idea that nothing is truly 'original', we are all influenced and inspired in some way or another by other members of our species who love or had loved creating music as much as ourselves. 'Key of A' is no different from any other socially-orientated protest song which has gone before it, it's just got a cloak of silliness to it, combined with a healthy dose of escapism..
Posted By: Sundance Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 06:21 AM
Well that was fun! Very indie sound and quite entertaining lyrics.

Enjoyed it.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 09:20 AM
what they all said.

Plus, I really like the handle "Pariahdise"
Posted By: Skyline Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 09:31 AM
If someone told me this was a long lost demo track by Ray Davies for the Kinks' first album I'd have believed them totally. You sound exactly like Ray on this song and the choice of notes for the vocal harmonies are the same ones the Kinks always chose. So I assume they are a strong influence on your music?
I like the sound of your voice on this and the lyrics are very interestng.

The backing contains a lot of poor timing, lurches and other mkistakes.
BUT, it's the 'rough demo' sound and feel of the song that make it so catchy and downright enjoyable. You've managed to do with ease what others (including myself) strive to do: fill a song with verve, enthusiasm, immediacy and energy - the pixie dust of pop - instead of becoming lost in the vortex of trying to make the details perfect. Well done.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 10:13 AM
Hi Pariahdise,

There's a raw edge to this work that made it sound very fresh to my ears. It certainly sounded like you had fun putting it together. Good one!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 10:18 AM
Quote:

BUT, it's the 'rough demo' sound and feel of the song that make it so catchy and downright enjoyable. You've managed to do with ease what others (including myself) strive to do: fill a song with verve, enthusiasm, immediacy and energy - the pixie dust of pop - instead of becoming lost in the vortex of trying to make the details perfect. Well done.

that's a very good description of the appeal that live music tends to have and studio music tends to lack. Well said.
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/16/12 12:38 PM
Quote:

If someone told me this was a long lost demo track by Ray Davies for the Kinks' first album I'd have believed them totally. You sound exactly like Ray on this song and the choice of notes for the vocal harmonies are the same ones the Kinks always chose. So I assume they are a strong influence on your music?
I like the sound of your voice on this and the lyrics are very interestng.

Some astute words are contained in this post. As talented as the Kinks were, they still haven't been given their due on par let's say with their contemporaries - such as the Beatles, The Stones, and The Who. And I was quite drawn to their music; perhaps for the very aforesaid reason, as a youth, (aside from their enormous body of work which I admired) - as I tend to always root for the underdog. So yes, Ray Davies, has had an enormous influence on me, and so also has Dave Davies, his band-mate brother. Some other influences I have, include early Elton John (so long as Bernie Taupin was involved) Chuck Berry, without a doubt, and Johnny Cash who was the subject of my first record collection.

I have always felt that I kind of outdid myself with 'Key of A', and it was a subliminal gift sent to me from somewhere in the North of London.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RG
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Key of A - 11/17/12 12:04 AM
hi pairiahdise cool tune it got better and better thanks eric
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/17/12 02:50 AM
Thank you, eric. Nothing for me is ever ready to be released when I upload it. If I were not able to update my stuff as it goes, I would undoubtedly be a lost cause. Which, is not to say that I am not already , short of R&R renaissance, at least..
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Key of A - 11/17/12 05:37 PM
Very creative idea! I liked it!
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/17/12 07:21 PM
Thanks indeed for listening. I'm humbled and encouraged by the support for 'Key of A' here. It's a little different feeling one gets, when they receive enthusiasm for a song from their peers..
Posted By: MarioD Re: Key of A - 11/18/12 12:00 AM
Quote:

Hi Pariahdise,

There's a raw edge to this work that made it sound very fresh to my ears. It certainly sounded like you had fun putting it together. Good one!

Regards,
Noel

A BIG +1

This sounds like it was recorded live! Great job on a great song.

Two thumbs up!
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Key of A - 11/18/12 01:43 AM
Wow, all these positive reviews, makes those zillion tries at the vocal last week seem worth every damn minute
Posted By: gibson Re: Key of A - 11/18/12 11:06 AM
And another positive review from me!! That song definitely has a North London sound a la the Kinks and the chord sequence certainly helps towards that vibe. You are definitely a Muswell Hillbilly and must have drunk in the Archway Tavern in the 70's, in spirit at least!!

good stuff

Alyn
© PG Music Forums