PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 03:42 AM
Here's a song I wrote about ten years ago using BIAB. Some of you might recall the MIDI version, which I posted to show some of the new features of BIAB at the time. Gary Curran has been after me to redo the song using RealTracks, so here you are.

Enjoy.

Holiday Bell Waltz by Matt Finley.
©2003 Kingsmill Music
All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 03:44 AM
This is straight out of BIAB - there is no attempt to mix or automate volume etc. in a DAW.

I used the new SIMPLE option for the piano. At this tempo, it was the first time I really liked the piano comping, as this makes it not too 'busy'. Also, BIAB used to have the piano lay out on a mMaj7 chord, but now you can hear it, and it's glorious.

Another aspect of the song those of you who have heard it before may notice, is that the tempo is slower. MIDI can often be too 'perfect' and it misleads you into thinking real musicians can play at more extreme tempos. The RealTracks make you lay back a bit.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 03:51 AM
What a cool song Matt. Great arrangemnt and melody. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 04:00 AM
Very well done! Thanks for sharing!

My Music Soundcloud
My Music Reverbnation
My Web Page
Posted By: seeker Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 04:34 AM
Matt,

Thanks for sharing with us.
Enjoyed it. As Josie mentioned, the melody
is very nice.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 04:44 AM
Why thanks! I got the idea for the melody from someone named Westminster. He made some chimes. Pretty sure it's public domain by now.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 05:56 AM
Hi Matt,

To my mind, this was top-shelf jazz of the very best kind. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

At my school, we have a handbell ensemble and as I listened to your song, it was so easy to imagine the handbells playing the melody. I'd imagine that it would sound brilliant on these instruments!

I can't believe that your backing was raw BIAB! That says such a lot for the program.

All the best for Christmas and beyond!
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 06:00 AM
Thanks Noel. Yes, bell ringers would work. When I perform this live, I play the melody on vibes.

And, this whole track is all BIAB. The melody and soloist tracks are playing through my Roland Fantom.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 03:15 PM
Wow!! Very nice Matt.
Can you reveal the realtracks you used?
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/23/12 06:05 PM
Matt,
Thank you so much for redoing this. It's exactly what this great song needed. The Fantom brings the piano and vibes to life, and it's very difficult to tell that it wasn't recorded live in a club.

Thank you, sir, I greatly appreciate you redoing this, and the work that went into the original, and the rework that was done. Just fantastic.

Gary
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 12:33 AM
hi matt well done arrangement mix medley realy well put together love to here more of your songs thanks eric
Posted By: MarioD Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 12:41 AM
Quote:

Hi Matt,

To my mind, this was top-shelf jazz of the very best kind. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

I can't believe that your backing was raw BIAB! That says such a lot for the program.

All the best for Christmas and beyond!
Noel

A BIG +1

This is a keeper for sure!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 01:39 AM
Quote:

Wow!! Very nice Matt.
Can you reveal the realtracks you used?

Nothing special:

RealTracks in song: ~546:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 140
RealTracks in song: ~552:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Waltz Sw 140 - Force Track to Simple
RealDrums in Song: JazzBrushesWaltz: a: Brushes b: Snare, Ride
Posted By: dpresley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 04:51 PM
Love the song. Let me know if you would allow me record it on my cd for next year. Send me an email if interested.
Posted By: Mac Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 05:29 PM
Nice Chart, Matt.

Can I have permission to play it on Christmas gigs next year?

You Chenneled ole Vince Guaraldi, a live pianist could go nutz with it...

--Mac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/24/12 07:37 PM
Dpresley, it hasn't been prefessionally recorded but I have plans to do so, and that needs to be done first, but thanks for the interest.

Mac, send me a PM with your email and I'll send the chart. Yes, I had Vince and David Benoit in mind when I wrote it.

matt
Posted By: boehm Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/25/12 03:58 PM
Everything has been said.
I really enjoyed listening.

Merry Christmas.

Guenter
Posted By: furry Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/28/12 07:43 AM
Can't really say much else. Enjoyed listening to this one Matt
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/31/12 01:40 PM
Really nice Matt. I love smooth jazz in the morning with coffee....this one got the ol' two cup, triple play!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 12/31/12 03:07 PM
Matt - I missed this in the "chaos of the season"...this is beautiful. Great job.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Holiday Bell Waltz - 01/01/13 05:49 AM
Just like everyone else said!
© PG Music Forums