PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Lost Soul - 01/03/13 08:26 PM
Enter the dark mysterious mind of a Lost Soul . At times he is almost at peace with himself but most of the time he is in turmoil. Nothing really flows for him. At times he hears voices but most of the time he hears low moans, broken rhythms and strange sounds.

I used BiaB style Exotic1-slow,exotic, soundtrac. All of the tracks are here. All are slightly modified except the drums; they were stripped apart with some parts erased and others heavily modified. I played the wind controller part (0boe) while all of the other added parts I played on my keyboard.

I know that this is a very unusual posting for the forum but I do hope you will listen and give comments, good or bad.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lost Soul - 01/03/13 08:56 PM
Mario,

Haunting, disturbing, beautiful, affecting, cinematic, magical, transcendental, transporting. Perfectly mixed. I loved it. It "took me away".

Do you have a hard time going to a movie and actually watching the movie? You must be paying so much attention to the soundtrack that you get lost.... How else could you create something so evocative???

So your description... is that anyone around these here parts???????

One VERY small nit-pik. That last note needs to fade out to oblivion - right at the end it gets clipped instead of being allowed to die a slow, slow death....

As Mario would say... "Two BIG thumbs up!"

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Lost Soul - 01/03/13 09:10 PM
Very impressive.
A perfect film score.
Thanks for sharing.

Guenter
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Lost Soul - 01/04/13 12:18 AM
Yes, you're right Mario, very unusual post for this forum, but I like cinematic themes a lot, I have created a few of them myself, but do not use BIB for it, that's why I don't post them in here so there are no complaints about it (which I agree with BTW). I would have let the final gong hit to fade all the way though. Again, this one is a winner.

Mike B.
Posted By: austin51 Re: Lost Soul - 01/04/13 12:57 AM
Extremely well mixed. Mesmerizing. Good job.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Lost Soul - 01/04/13 11:00 AM
Mario...
now you need a national geographic special to go with it!
good job, and interesting use of all the tools at your disposal!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/04/13 02:43 PM
Thanx all for listening and the comments.

Floyd and Pete, I do hear the gong fade into nothing here on my system. I’ll have to recheck that and see what’s going on. Thanx for the heads up.

Pat, what would the National Geographic special’s topic be? I was thinking more of a Twilight Zone special myself.
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Lost Soul - 01/05/13 02:51 AM
An exotic piece of work, never heard anything remotely resembling it. Very crafty, and I generally need lyrics to keep hanging in there with the music, but that is my shortcoming. Keep this up Mario and you might expand my musical horizons
Posted By: Sundance Re: Lost Soul - 01/05/13 03:05 AM
+1 Well done.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Lost Soul - 01/05/13 03:33 AM
Sounds like a journey through Africa, and then the haunted house. Very well mixed! Thanks for sharing another fine piece of music.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/06/13 01:55 AM
Thanx pariahdise, Josie and Robert for taking the time to listen and thanx for the kind comments.

I like doing this style of music so I just may do some more in the near future.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lost Soul - 01/06/13 11:00 AM
Hi Mario,

This definitely needs visuals! You must have had fun putting this one together. I reckon it's in the top three most creative pieces I've heard from you. From start to end it breathes 'atmosphere'.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: Lost Soul - 01/06/13 12:59 PM
Another one of your terrific soundscapes! I always enjoy these. It meanders along nicely with some ingenious textures.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Lost Soul - 01/06/13 09:49 PM
hi marioD second time listen i like it very creative love those keys thanks eric
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lost Soul - 01/06/13 09:57 PM
Extremely creative. At times the soul seems to be on a positive journey -- almost an Eastern spiritual experience and then....well it seems like whatever demons he/she harbored rise to the surface. Just a great piece all the way around!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Lost Soul - 01/07/13 01:29 AM
I'll second that: Profoundly mysterious. Is it a song or an altered mental state? Bizarre and unnerving in the way that the intro "music" to the original "Alien" movie was. After just a few "notes" you just knew you were about to be scared out of your wits in a deeply unexpected way.

Aleck Rand
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Lost Soul - 01/07/13 10:31 PM
Welcome to my world. This reminds me of a good bit of tuneage I hear in the Music Forum at Propellerhead--free tempo, sometimes without apparent tonal center, atmospheric--everything that adds to good cinematic values. Good work. I must comment that the cymbal/gong clips off in the middle of a nice reverb tail on my listen, too, instead of trailing into silence. Once you fix that it will be flawless.

Richard
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/08/13 02:52 PM
Thanx for listening and the extremely nice comments. I was a little hesitant to post this one as it is different that most of the other posts but I’m glad it did now!

Noel- I’m afraid that the graphics might be a little too violent or scary!

Skyline – I enjoy these also. I will post more in the future.

F.M.M., Mootsman, aleck and Ryszard Thanx for the positive feedback.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Lost Soul - 01/10/13 08:57 PM
Hi Mario,

I have to agree with Pat on this one. My, my, my !!! This is out of this world, Sir! I really love the vibe you have going here.

Nicely done!!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/13 11:54 PM
Mario,

My 1st thought was, hey are you alright man? Bottom-line is it had me from the git go, I could not stop listening.

This may be the most creative piece I have heard from you. Congratulations.

Now take off those dark glasses grab yourself a beer and play with some puppies.

Later,
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/13 02:22 AM
Thanx Mike and Danny for listening and the extremely kinds words.

Danny, I took off my shades, grabbed a beer and played with our three shih-tzus. It didn’t help
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/13 12:59 PM
The wind controller really helps the oboe sound authentic (it actually gave it a "turkish" feel). Great little soundscape and quite a journey you took us on. This is the kind of piece that you hear Taxi members doing for film and music library listings. I wish I had spent more time learning to do pieces like this. I guess you can't do everything (actually you can, if you are motivated enough!). Very well done -- easy to listen to all the way through.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/13 03:39 PM
(In deep movie trailer voiceover voice....)

In a world devastated by nuclear holocaust, one man struggles to tame the insanity that haunts his troubled soul................dark, disturbing visions of a world gone mad.......for in the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/13 03:48 PM
Kemmrich and 90 dB, than for listening and the very kind comments.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/13 11:42 PM
Quote:

(In deep movie trailer voiceover voice....)

In a world devastated by nuclear holocaust, one man struggles to tame the insanity that haunts his troubled soul................dark, disturbing visions of a world gone mad.......for in the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

And that man is MARIO!

Later,
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Lost Soul - 01/24/13 07:49 PM
Mario,
I remember previewing this style a while back and found it alluring. Great work taking advantage of this style. Thanks.
SD
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/24/13 09:07 PM
Thanx SpaceDog!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Soul - 02/01/13 11:09 PM
Mario,

Love the atmospheric feel of this one. Very nice.

Bob
© PG Music Forums