PG Music Home
Hi. This is both my first post to the Forum and also my first post of an original composition.

It is called 'I'll Be In A Honky Tonk' and can be accessed at: http://soundcloud.com/phil-babylon

I play in a country band in NE England and got BIAB this Xmas to develop some demos of original songs for the band.

This is my first attempt. I can't pretend to be skilled at music production on a pc and the vocal was recorded first take and needs re-doing.

However, I'd love to hear comments from people.

Apologies if as a newbie I've committed any faux pas.

Best wishes all for 2013

Phil
Posted By: chulaivet1966 I'll Be In A Honky Tonk - 01/12/13 08:24 PM
Although not my genre I gave a listen and I'll happily bump your first song on the interweb.

Pretty good job.
Some fine lead playing and a good mix.

I was listening on small Tascam S1010m's so don't know if others will think the bass could come up about 1db?

I do hear some vocal harmony refrains worming their way into the mix should this one evolve further for you.

Keep up the good work.

Carry on....
Nice job, Phil, and welcome to the software and the forum.

I found the tune, and especially the backing, to be very convincing -- Yorkshire, is it? Isn't that where Hank Williams hails from? Nice, authentic lead guitar work also. We usually post the "specifications" of songs along with the tune, and you can find them in the "Memo" box in BIAB... just copy and paste. I would especially like to know what RealTracks backing you used for this tune.
Phil,

Welcome! You're off to a good start! The tracks are great - the lead guitar is spot on. The vocal seems "a bit over-processed" for a country song. If you've got the RealTracks, some fiddle or pedal steel would be a nice addition - this is, after all, hard-core Country!!

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: I'll Be In A Honky Tonk - 01/12/13 09:57 PM
Antwort auf:

Pretty good job.
Some fine lead playing and a good mix.
Keep up the good work.

Guenter
hi phil welcome very creative great use of real tracks good vocal good mix thanks for sharing eric
Phil,

I like everything about this tune.

Nice job!

Later,
Firstly, a massive thank you to everyone who reviewed the song so quickly - and so helpfully - what a great forum this clearly is.

Secondly, sorry for not posting details of the BIAB files used etc. God, I'm so new to this I don't know how to find the Song memo file. Help please!.

For the song I used: _BOOGBRT.STY. Country Boogie Brent Mason.

I then imported the wave files into Acid and added a couple of tracks: a dobro sound to cover the breaks and a Telecaster powerchord to reinforce the chorus.

The vocals were done in a hurry with a very cheap old tandy mike I keep in the house. All my decent stuff is with the band gear. And, since I've only ever had to concern myself with live vocals I don't know a thing about making them work in a recording setting. Any help on what is a decent approach to processing vocals would be welcome.

Later.

Phil.
Hi Phil,

I just want to let you know that I really enjoyed listening to this song. It's excellent.

All the best,
Noel
This has a very convincing overall sound. Good job mixing your first BIAB tune. It really doesn't take long to get good sounds out with it -- and then you spend a lot time squeezing the very best out of it (ha, ha). The vocals sit quite well in the mix for a rough draft, first take.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to some of your others.
It’s all been said! This is a super first post. The vocals were really good for a so-called rough draft!

There is only one rule that I use when mixing and that is if it sounds good it is good!

Welcome to the forum Phil. Really enjoyed your song.

I could hear Merle Haggard in in this tune. Nice country guitar pickin'.

Good job on the track for doing it rushed. Good vocal, a better mic is in order.

Agree with Floyd pedal steel and fiddle would be great additions. I would bring the drums up a bit in the mix.

Look forward to hearing more songs from you.

What's the name of you band? You have the the classic country vibe down. You would not be out of place at The Broken Spoke, a honky tonk in Austin, Texas.
welcome to the forum Phil! Nice job! I enjoyed it!

I think it was a great job of using PGMusic's tools to craft a very slick composition.
Phil,

Welcome. Excellent tune.

Bob
Very good work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy BB and all the real tracks and styles.

Keep on

Réjean
Hi Phill,

Welcome to the forum.

This is my type of music.
Very well done for your first attempt.

Keep em' coming.

George
Hey Phil,

Really nice job with BIAB for your first song. And excellent songwriting! I LOVE that song. If you have not done so already you should be shopping that one around!
Hi Phil
It has all been said. I really enjoyed the song.
Regards
© PG Music Forums