PG Music Home
Posted By: Kemmrich I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/13/13 01:53 AM
OK, Finally got back to re-writing verse #2 -- only took me exactly one year! Nephew Sam is on college break and he added some backing vocals for me. Any comments are always appreciated.

I Was Wrong

Kevin

The original thread is HERE

I Was Wrong
(c) Emmrich 2013

(Intro)

(verse)
The sun's coming up
I'm going down
didn't finish what I started
I'm leaving this town
gotta get back home
finally found out what I really wanted

(chorus)
coming back home
that's where I belong
I thought I knew what I wanted
but I guess I was wrong
yea, yea, yea ... yea, yea, yea
I thought I knew what I wanted
but I guess I was wrong

(verse)
Ya know I always really knew
Guess I kept it inside
'till I got that call from you
can't stand to hear you cry
to this dream i wave goodbye
'cause you are what I choose

(chorus again)

(break -- verse)

(bridge)
hearing your voice on the telephone line
reminded me of what's important
giving up something ain't that bad
when you add something back that's perfect

(chorus again x2)

(outro)
It’s OK to be wrong
Just don’t stay there long

Kevin: Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Sam: Vocals
BIAB: bass, percussion, banjo, acoustic guitar, piano

Key=D , Tempo 105, Length (m:s)=3:02
drums/percussion: BossaBrushesPerc^1-congas,perc and RockModernSyncEv16^6-SdStk,SnRdC
banjo: 1295, ModernCountrySync Ev16 100 and 623, Background Backporch Ev 098 (1st chorus only)
bass: 521: Electric, Pop Syncopated Ev 136
acoustic guitar: 793: Strumming ModernCountrySync Ev 100
Piano: 1263, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningSync Ev 120
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/13/13 02:17 AM
This is a great song with super lyrics. I really liked your vocals here. You guitar playing ain’t to shabby either!

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/13/13 03:12 AM
Hey Kevin,

This is a very cool song. One of my favorites from you. You almost have an Arlo Guthrie sound going on... Very nice work.

Bob
Posted By: Brallan Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/13/13 05:22 AM
Really like it, Kevin.... much better vocal, better mix, great song.

I particularly like the eclectic mix of styles, especially the variations in percussion... do we call this "mashup"?

There have been some very useful threads on here recently about variations, surprises, dynamics, all that, and you are truly implementing them, as opposed to some of us -- maybe all of us at times -- who just lay down the midi or realtrack and spin it out, unmodified, though the whole song.... leading to boredom and exhaustion.

Nice work! Did you do the whole 50 tunes thing???
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/14/13 02:00 PM
By the way, there are actually 3 drum styles. The BossaBrushesPerc^1-congas,perc is there all along and the RockModernSyncEv16^6-SdStk,SnRdC comes in on chorus #2. I used the "Nashville EV16" drums for verse 2 as a stepping stone to the more frantic RockModernSyncEv16 kit. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

MarioD: Thanks for the visit and the very kind words.

Bob: Thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin. Your comments are always appreciated.

Brad: It did sort of start out as a straight forward type of song, but it did end up morphing into something a little quirky (I left some of Sam's vocalizing in during the lead break to add that "quirkiness"!). I've done 50/90 five times (2008 - 2012) and I hit 50 songs in 2010. Last summer I bombed out and only did two! Just didn't feel like doing it that time around (I did like the two songs I got though -- I need to BIAB 'em). I am doing FAWM this february -- hopefully I haven't forgotten how to write a song! Thanks for the visit and listen.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/15/13 11:05 PM
What they said. Nice!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/16/13 05:21 AM
Kevin,

Very nice! I think I remember this one from last year. Great sound. Good job on the vocals. Good lyrics, too. I really enjoyed it!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/16/13 09:01 PM
Kevin,

Really enjoyed this. Been considering a "banjo" song myself recently - guess you beat me to it...(well, by a year at least). A real "The Band" feel on this. Great sound and mix and vocal.

floyd
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/17/13 01:41 AM
It's okay to be wrong just don't stay there long. LOL! I really like this Kevin. Especially the hook - I thought I knew what I wanted but I guess I was wrong. Who hasn't felt that way... The music mashup is different and it fits. Nephew Sam did a great job too.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/18/13 06:28 AM
Good song, and well done. I like the spare intro with the addition of the instruments.

You occasionally drop to a very soft voice which sounds nice... But on the chorus I expected more "loud" and less "soft" - it felt like you were holding back. With the banjo, I sort of expected the sound of a bunch of hillbillies popping out of haystacks joining in on a rousing chorus.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/19/13 04:39 PM
hi kevin love the vocal very creative everything well done thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: pariahdise Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/19/13 06:41 PM
Very good effort, great production and performance. Liked it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/20/13 02:02 AM
Hi Kevin,

From head to tail, this sounds incredibly professional to me. Please pass on my compliments to Sam too. Excellent work all around.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Tano Music Re: I Was Wrong (2013) - 01/21/13 02:28 PM
Always great to go back to unfinished work and finally hear it come alive! Really good song/performance. My only comment would be on the lyric..is the "yea, yea" meant to be a melodic filler, or a response/admission to 'being wrong'..also could be taken as a bit of self-mocking...what did you intend?
I really liked the creative combination of choices from RT's/live...well produced!
© PG Music Forums