PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 04:59 PM
a second guitar Instro from me. This time, in what I hope is a TexMex style – whatever that is.
“Mexicana Tex” is a working title. If anyone has a better idea– please, please post it up.
I like the sultry sexiness of the beat. Quite a latin flavour to the style – maybe our Texas friends can explain why TexMex is what it is.
Its an AABABA+long double coda and came about when I was noodling a chord progression. The idea was that each time the B came up it would result in a key change. I hope you think it worked.
Anyway, here is “Mexicana Tex”, or whatever.

MEXICANA TEX

Here's what's in the recipe -
1293:Bass, Electric, TexMexCountry Ev 120
511:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Dire Ev
1294:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
510:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dire Ev 140
1173:Accordion, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
1292:Accordion, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealDrums - TexMexCountryEv8^6-a:Groove, Hat Bell and Shaker , b:QuarterRide, Hat Bell and Shaker
Some “live” rhythm acoustic guitar in there too – Tanglewood Jumbo.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 06:46 PM
Hi Ian, being a mostly instrumental guy, I really enjoyed listening to this. Great backing track really sets the mood nicely. As I listened to this I couldn't help wondering what a cat gut strung classical would have sounded like. Great job all round.

Cheers

Nelson
Posted By: airtcon-161 Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 06:53 PM
Hi again Ian, well I just realized you are Ian from the Shadowmusic site. I have been a member there for too many years and have posted well over 200 tunes there over the years, all instrumental as you can imagine. Small world eh.

Cherrs

Nels
Posted By: Don R Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 07:25 PM
Dire over TexMex... whoulda thunkit? Excellent... gonna have to try one of these myself.

The accordian definately drives home the south-of-the-border feel.

In places I could definately visualize one of those ol' spaghetti westerns. Bravo!
Posted By: austin51 Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 07:34 PM

Ian,

Very nice tune. Like the guitars trading off. For some reason I'm craving the El Tucan Sol at Jardin Corona.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 09:20 PM
Ian,

Well arranged and played wonderfuly as well.

Great vibe to this one, can't help but move in my seat. (now don't picture that OK)

Later,
Posted By: MarioD Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 10:48 PM
This is some great guitar playing! Loved it!

Super backing track also.

This sounds like the Shadows and/or the Ventures to me.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/17/13 11:15 PM
Ian,

Everything about this is enjoyable. I think you've found your groove. Keep it up!

floyd
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/18/13 03:03 AM
hi sixchannel great production very well done thanks eric
Posted By: boehm Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/18/13 11:58 PM
Good groove.
Nice guitar playing.
Accordion mixes well in.

Guenter
Posted By: sixchannel Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/20/13 10:26 AM
Hi guys
thanks for listening and your kind words.
Fun to do and maybe my "influences" (Shadows, Ventures, Knopfler) can't be hidden behind a sexy Tejano (I think thats what its called) beat.
cheers
ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/20/13 10:35 AM
Hi Ian,

This is excellent! Honestly! I definitely hear the influence of The Shadows. I've got to hand it to you, your sense of melody is something to be jealous of. Also, the mix is perfect. This one is radio-ready as far as I can tell!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Dazzman Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/20/13 09:58 PM
Nice job shadows ref reiterated

Regards

D
Posted By: Sundance Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/22/13 04:56 AM
Like the feel Ian. Your guitar work and tone sounds good with the TM arrangement.
Posted By: rsdean Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/24/13 11:38 PM
Ian,

Excellent guitar on this one. Good song and overall tone.

Bob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/25/13 04:07 AM
Ian,

Very nice. Good job of using RT's in this style. All been said. Very nice guitar work.

Steve
Posted By: sixchannel Re: MEXICANA TEX - 02/25/13 08:23 PM
Hello Noel, Dazz,Josie, Bob and Steve for the very kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the music.
It was just heaps of Fun to do.
I wish there were some Styles canted more towards that 60's and 70's Instrumental sound / genre than there are. Maybe one for the WishList
cheers
ian
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/01/13 12:46 AM
Excellent 60's style instrumental.

Through my Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speakers the shaker and accordian seemed out front while the quarter bell was a little quiet.

The name "Mexicana Tex" suits the song quite well.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/03/13 09:30 PM
Hi Jim
thanks for listening and your comment.
The accordion mix was down to me - too loud maybe needed backing off a tad - but the RD drum track already contained the shaker and bell mixed in at "volume" so I am stuck with that.
Glad you enjoyed it.
cheers
ian
Posted By: ROG Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/04/13 02:46 PM
Hi Ian.

I've come to this one a bit late and it all seems to have been said.

Great track and I agree with Noel - it sounds radio-ready.

Mexicana yes, but I could just as easily imagine myself on the banks of the Seine in Paris. Would make good film music. Excellent!

ROG.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/04/13 09:37 PM
Hi Six, being an 'instrumental" kind of guy, I enjoyed this one a lot. Very well mixed IMHO, and frankly, even though the guitar trading worked pretty good, with your guitar playing you don't need the RT at all. But then again, it doesn't hurt to experiment.

Mike B.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/05/13 09:32 AM
Hi Mike
Thanks for listening, Glad you enjoyed it.
Well the "Dire" solo came about because I'd used the rhythm RT and wondered what was in the SOLO RT. So I loaded it in and what you heard is what I got. Couldn't better it - it was tuneful and cleverly done.
Cheers
Ian
Ps - that Solo is quite easy to actually play. I've HAD to learn it for Gigging. Lol !
Posted By: dani48 Re: MEXICANA TEX - 03/06/13 10:13 AM
Hi, Ian my good friend !

I said it on the Shadows sites´
and I say it again: I think this
tune is nothing short of a
masterpiece !:) I had in mind
myself to write a salsa, but so
far it is still on the drawing
board !:)
Thank you Ian for this gem !

Cheers
Dani