PG Music Home
Posted By: austin51 In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 07:59 PM

I take a long time writing songs. So in lue of a newly written one I pulled this out of mothballs and worked it up with BIAB in order to my hands in it.

Far ago and long away I wrote this as a writing exercise. The idea was to write an Eagles style sequel to Lying Eyes. It was clear the girl wasn’t going to give up the rich lifestyle with the “man with hands as cold as ice”. So my song In The Heart of Lonely Town, is from the point of view of a friend of the guy who had the affair with the Lying Eyes girl.

All RealTracks and mixed with Cakewalk Home Studio. https://soundcloud.com/austin51/in-the-heart-of-lonely-town

RTs:
Drums: Nashville Even 8
Bass #521 Electric Pop Syncopated
Electric Guitar: #850 Rhythm Nashville Pop Clean
Electric Guitar: #1435 Rhythm Jazz Funk Groovin Chords
Acoustic Guitar: #405 Strumming
Acoustic Guitar: #1119 12-Stirng Strumming
Pedal Steel: #1669 Soloist Country Paul
Style: C-GIRL–Contemporary Country

In the Heart of Lonely Town

A soft breeze blows through the window
Shadows climbing up the wall
You stare at the ceiling as the sun goes down
Deep in the heart of lonely town

You found out she was always lying (She was lying)
You could see it in her eyes (In her lying eyes)
Still you kept falling until you hit the ground
Right in the heart of lonely town

She promised to leave him forever
But her lust for the finer things wouldn’t let her

In the street music is playing
Anticipation in the air
Go out and find true love, stop hanging around
Down in the heart of lonely town
Soundcloud
Posted By: Don R Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 08:08 PM
... timed perfectly to coincide with the History of the Eagles premiere telecast on Showtime this weekend... you should be in marketing! ;-)

You definately captured their feel and the lyrical homage works well. Fantabulous.

Thx 4 sharing.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 08:22 PM
Hi
What a Sequel to "Lyin Eyes"!
And from the POV of the poor guy dumped by Mrs Shallow.
Very good take on the Eagles style I thought UNTIL I got to the Bridge - "she promised to leave him forever - - " and then I was just utterly blown away - PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!
What a Stunner!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: Danny C. Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 09:30 PM
Quote:

Hi
Very good take on the Eagles style I thought UNTIL I got to the Bridge - "she promised to leave him forever - - " and then I was just utterly blown away - PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!
What a Stunner!!
cheers
ian

Big +1 here!

Re: Lying Eyes sequel well I was thinking the same thing before I even read your intention to drive in that drection.

Later,
Posted By: Dazzman Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 10:19 PM
Hi Austin

This is a great composition you reminded me of Sir Paul McCartney when singing. Its cleverly made out of the band in a box tracks well put together and I see the Lying Eyes in it all the way.

Well done another great angle for a new song

Darren
Posted By: MarioD Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 10:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hi
What a Stunner!!
cheers
ian

Big +1 here!

Re: Lying Eyes sequel well I was thinking the same thing before I even read your intention to drive in that drection.

Later,

A SUPER BIG +1

All I can add is that this is air play ready!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/17/13 11:41 PM
austin,

This is a very good song and, as has been stated, a very well done Eagles-sounding production. Quite enjoyable - from that angle....

BUT.... (and I may be in the minority here...)

No question, it's a great "back-story". But I think you did yourself (and the song) a "disservice" (by telling it). It becomes a "derivative" - when it could STAND ON IT'S OWN. Take this song, as it is, and put a "harder" production to it... A snappy drum, a pounding bass, and a "hard-hitting" guitar and it could ROCK!! And be the very cool, well written song that it is - without the "background"... it's that good.

My opinion, of course. I like what you do.

floyd
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 12:38 AM
Nice tune, certainly has an Eagles vibe to it with the chords and harmonies.

I'd work the ending a bit more to make the ending as smooth as the rest of the song.
Posted By: austin51 Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 01:49 AM
Don R, Ian, Danny C, Mario D – Thanks for listening and the nice complements.

Floyd, thanks for the feedback and ideas. I appreciate that you feel it is a good song in need of a makeover.

Herb, thanks for listening and the feedback.
Posted By: Sundance Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 01:59 AM
Quote:

No question, it's a great "back-story". But I think you did yourself (and the song) a "disservice" (by telling it). It becomes a "derivative" - when it could STAND ON IT'S OWN. Take this song, as it is, and put a "harder" production to it... A snappy drum, a pounding bass, and a "hard-hitting" guitar and it could ROCK!! And be the very cool, well written song that it is - without the "background"... it's that good.

+1

BTW, I love your voice and those harmonies are heavenly. I'd like it a little longer with an added lyric bridge a repeated chorus or both. But nothing wrong with leaving them wanting more. OOps I shouldn't have said chorus since it's an aaba song. Sorry typing before thinking.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 02:31 AM
hi austin well done all been said nice peace eric
Posted By: MountainSide Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 03:11 AM
Nice song! Definitely has that Eagles signature on both instrumentation and vocals. That's really saying something due to their unique seven part harmony. Really well done Austin.

By the way, listening to your voice, just have to ask, have you ever considered doing anything with harmonys like Crosby Still and Nash....I think your vocal style would be a dead-ringer.
Posted By: austin51 Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 04:01 AM

Thanks so much Josie. The album version of "Lying Eyes" was more than twice as long as my "sequel" so yeah it was on the short side. It was written as an exercise, but perhaps I will revisit, considering what you and Floyd have said. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: austin51 Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 04:02 AM

Thanks Eric.
Posted By: austin51 Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/18/13 04:15 AM

Mountain Side,

Thanks for the comments. CS&N, another one of the great harmony groups.

They each have such a different voice but they have a magical blend.
Posted By: boehm Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/19/13 12:08 AM
As Don said: You definitely captured Eagles feel.
I liked the background vocals very much.
Nice song.

Guenter
Posted By: austin51 Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/19/13 04:00 AM
Thank you Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: In the Heart of Lonely Town - 02/19/13 12:27 PM
Nice one, Austin. Brought me back to the Mohave on a starry night.

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums