PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 01:43 PM
No - not Cherokee!!
You don't have to have the latest version of BIAB to have Fun.
This arrangement was produced last year in my good old BIAB 2008 (!!) and is ALL BiaB midi (Coyote Forte) apart from the RealDrums – RockHardEven8^1.
The tune was a concept “noodle” by my friend Dani who thought it might make a nice SLOW Western Movie style tune.
However, comma – he left it with me - MISTAKE - and “look what he did to my tune, Pa”!!

I made two sgu's – one C-EAGLES style and the other (to get the Brass etc) ^ORK60BAL, imported the lot as single wavs into Cakewalk GTPro2 (oldie but Goodie) and mixed it all down in there.
Maybe now that I have BIAB2013 and therefore RealBand I would do it all as RTs or import all the midi's into RB and do it all there.
Anyway – here it is

CHEROKEES

Please excuse the “nod” at the coda to the most famous of all “Shadows” instrumental tracks. Lol.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 03:40 PM
Hi Ian
I love this. Really easy listening. It reminds me of growing up to all those black and white westerns on TV – now that is giving my age away!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 04:12 PM
Ian this sounds great. Would you mind sharing what guitar and recording techniques you uses?

This sounds exactly like something the Shadows and/or the Ventures would play.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: boehm Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 04:35 PM
It's a great one again.
Recognizing the "nod at the coda" shows how old we are.

Guenter
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 04:48 PM
Hi Jo and Mario
thanks for listening. I'm glad you like it. It really does have that TV Western "gallopy" thing about it.
Mario - I go in for nothing difficult!! lol !
My guitar is a hand built Strat which I use for my Hank Marvin Tribute stuff.

It has a few mods, one of which is the ability to mix Neck and Bridge pickups together, not normally possible on a standard Strat. It gives the tone an "archtoppy" sort of sound, or maybe a bit Telecaster.
The BT is made in an old software called Cakewalk Guitar Pro 2 which I bought in 2004 and it does the job for me. I import the individual wavs from BIAB into it and get the Mix I'm after in there. Remember it was done in BIAB2008. Now I have 2013 I could do a lot more, like importing the BIAB tracks to RB and getting better sounds, Sampletank, Hi-Q etc, or even finding a better RT track here and there. However, this sound file was done before I splashed the cash.
I record the Lead track direct to the same Cakewalk file, having kept a "save" of the BT separately. Once I have a total mix I like, I bounce the whole thing to a "Final Mix Mastering" track and that is the one that you hear.
Hope that helps
cheers
ian
Posted By: austin51 Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 05:59 PM
Ian,

Listening to your track I envisioned Clint Eastwood, cigarillo clinched tightly in his teeth, riding across the barren Italian landscape.

Excellent sounding production on the track.

That is a beautiful strat!

P.S. I replied to your message.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 06:20 PM
Ian,

VERY, VERY cool song. Keep this up and you'll have a whole album soon - and need to be putting it all out on CD.

Everything about it was perfect. Can't believe no one has mentioned how well done the horns were... so... well done!!

floyd
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 08:01 PM
Hi Guenter - yes "Apache" was the first Shadows tune I ever learned and amazingly I am still playing the darned thing 50 years later. LOL !!
Hi Austin - "Lady" is just beautiful to look at and stunning to play. And what a colour!!!!
I have returned your PM.
Hi Floyd -those horns in ORK60 were just perfect. For an all midi track sound file I think the sounds all come out pretty good.
cheers
ian
Posted By: Dazzman Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 09:49 PM
Ian

The first Album I ever bought was on cassette by the shadows and the track this reminds me of was Riders In The sky

Nice playing

Regards

Darren
Posted By: Danny C. Re: CHEROKEES - 02/20/13 10:49 PM
Ian,

Man this is truly a feel good instrumental, and yes I too envisioned the boys riding back to the ranch at sundown.

Good stuff!
Posted By: MarioD Re: CHEROKEES - 02/21/13 12:03 AM
S W E E T looking and sounding axe
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 01:01 AM
Wonderful song. I'm actually glad you recorded Cherokees before your BIAB upgrade. The Coyote Forte sound module + your wonderful sounding guitar (I know the guitar can only sound as good as the player) + a really neat song = a wonderful listening experience.

I'm a big fan of the Ventures and instrumentals in general.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 01:46 AM
Ian, in a word...fabulous!

I have the pleasure of knowing Nokie Edwards of Venture fame and, with your permission, I would like him to hear it. No promises, he may reject it out of hand fearing copyright hassles, but we won't know without trying. He may be able to "plug you in" to the proper people.

* Incidentally, Cherokee is one of those words that is both plural AND singular depending upon context, like "deer" or "elk". Mac or Bob will correct me if I'm wrong, they always do. Chuckle.

* Couldn't prove it so disregard. Asked a Cherokee Aide and she said: To pluralize the word, you would add a modifying noun such as Cherokee Indians. Wikipedia only confused the problem.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 12:12 PM
Hello again
thanks for listening and the very kind words.
Darren - I think I've still got that cassette - "String of Hits" - 1979!!
DannyC - yes, I can feel that too. In its original Dani noodle demo he played it read "clip-cloppy" slow which was even more like riding back to the Ranch at sundown.
MArio D - "Lady" sure is wonderful and has some great tones.
Jim - I was so used to BIAB2008 that I never thought twice about doing multiple styles to get the midis I wanted and then exporting the wavs to my old DAW and mixing them in there. We're a lot smarter now with 2013 and I'm gald that the "old ways" are still there when I want something that BAIB can't offer as a set Style or RT etc.
Don - Dani will be so amazed. He is a huge Shadows and Ventures fan as you can tell from his Compo. He is in Finland and I have e-mailed him about what you have said. Knowing Dani, it will NOT be a problem. I understand that the Music Business has no guarantees but
just to be thought of will make his Day - and probably his Year!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: 90 dB Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 12:26 PM
Ian,

Loved this. Reminds me of listening to "Walk Don't Run" and wishing that I could play guitar like that. Nice Strat, too. I'm curious about the amp - sounds like a Twin. What is it?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 03:03 PM
Hello Bob
Glad you enjoyed it. I can hear where you are coming from with the "Walk Don't Run" thing.
The Amp?? Well - for GIGGING I use a Vox VT60, 60 watts of valve power so lots of headroom and I can also DI it.
BUT - for recording, I guess my secret is out. I DO use a twin - of sorts!! I use a Korg Ampworks, the tiniest amp sim in the world (probably), powered by 2 x AA batteries, and I have it set mostly to AC30, 2 x 12 speaker cab, but have the choice of 11 cabs, from Fender Juniors, Marshall stack, those nice tweed 4 speaker Blues amps, right up to ear destroying Recto heavy metal amps. Its so small that I have to Blue Tack it to the desk to stop it falling off!! lol ! See pic for scale.
For those of us who have carried Voxs and the big Fender amps to and from Gigs, this little baby will never give you a hernia!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: 90 dB Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 03:37 PM
Ian,

That Korg sure fooled me! I gotta dig mine out - I have one of these:

Neat little boxes. Of course, it doesn't help my playing much, that's beyond help!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 09:29 PM
Bob
That's a cool little sim!
My Ampworks is years old so yours is probably its successor.
It seems to have all the same features apart from cabinet selection-unless thats hidden in the display somewhere.
Bob- we all play to the limits of our ability,whether that be Pro or just "luvvin' it" standard. It ALL matters.
Someone once told me "the woods would be pretty silent if the only birds that sang were those that sang best". Play and enjoy!!
Cheers
ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: CHEROKEES - 03/01/13 09:45 PM
Hi Ian,

What a great sound; a REALLY great sound! Images of Clint Eastwood, spurs, cacti, dust and guns in holsters swirled around in my head as I listened to this. You've got a real gift for melody. I also loved the chord progression. The way you moved from minor to major and threw in a whole heap chordal twists and turns along the way was wonderful. Words phrases that came to mind as I listened were: inventive, creative, didn't expect that chord, instrumental music at its best.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 03/02/13 08:17 PM
Hello Noel
thank you so much for listening and your oh so kind words. I am passing on to Dani the comments about his "throw-away" noodle. He never expected it to come out like this.
One of the things that caught me was the minor / major change - I thought it was cool.
cheers
ian
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CHEROKEES - 03/04/13 02:58 PM
Re: Floyd's comment. What a stream of unconscious opened up listening to this: Spaghetti Westerns, the Ventures, Jorgen Ingman, etc. The thing that really grabbed me was the horns. Somewhere in this avalanche of laudatory feedback you may have revealed how the horns were done. Come on magician Ian, 'fess up or, if you please, reveal the location of some clues among the comments.

Aleck Rand
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CHEROKEES - 03/04/13 05:05 PM
Hello Aleck
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
How the horns were done? Absolutely NO Rocket Science on my part - Thank BIAB.
Quote - "I made two sgu's – one C-EAGLES style and the other (to get the Brass etc) *ORK60BAL, imported the lot as single wavs into Cakewalk GTPro2 (oldie but Goodie) and mixed it all down in there."
The Brass is called M62 Brass, if that means anything to you.
It worked perfectly. I did also try using *BRASS_44 style but didnt get the horns ringing out, they were more "chordy".
Aleck - check your PM.
Regards
ian
Posted By: dani48 Re: CHEROKEES - 03/07/13 12:18 AM
Hi, Ian !

I love your rendition of Cherokees !:)
Well played a super bt and sound, clearly
giving a vision of arrows soon flying in
all directions !:)

Thank you Ian for breathing life into
this tune !:)

Cheers