PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Song for a friend - 02/23/13 11:52 PM

Jerry "wolf" Arnold was a friend of mine. He was a bluegrass musician who lived in Fancy Gap Virginia. He introduced me to my wife. He hosted a bluegrass music festival on his mountain property every year around the end of August for his birthday. Hundreds of his friends from all over would come and camp out and play music.

One year, he married his long time girl friend at the festival.

He developed cancer and after fighting it for a few years finally lost the fight to the disease.

He loved music and learned to play guitar but his real love turned out to be the mandolin.

On this track I play guitar and sing...

Band in a Box is playing everything else..... mixing was done on Sonar.

The music starts at 20 seconds into the video so hang in there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmLXESjGWs yeah... I'm in this video 2:49 center , 5:07 blue shirt, 5:48 ... me on L, my wife in center, Wolf on R

Just the song>>>> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11843061

I hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 12:05 AM
hi guitarhacker enjoyed very much well done great words good stuff love bluegrass this tell a story thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 12:36 AM
Hi guitarhacker,

I thoroughly enjoyed the song. It's outstanding in all aspects and a wonderful tribute.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 01:48 AM
One word description . . . beautiful.

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 06:48 AM
Beautiful tribute.
Posted By: boehm Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 03:08 PM
A great tribute to a friend (music and video).

Guenter
Posted By: DrDan Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 03:23 PM
Quote:

I hope you enjoy it.

Heck, I loved it!!
Posted By: austin51 Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 03:44 PM

A very nice tribute to a friend.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 03:50 PM
Herb,

Beautiful in every way. The song, the production, the video. You've done an incredible thing "sharing your dear friend Wolf" with us - and all who might one day see and hear this. Touching, to say the least...

floyd
Posted By: rsdean Re: Song for a friend - 02/24/13 11:30 PM
Excellent all around - great tribute.

Bob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Song for a friend - 02/25/13 03:59 AM
It's all been said. Very nice tribute to a friend, and very well done!

Steve
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Song for a friend - 02/25/13 07:49 PM
Hey thanks for listening and commenting.

This song was something that I wanted to do for a few years and started and stopped. Writing a song like this is not easy. I started in earnest to complete this in the spring of last year and had the goal of having it ready before his birthday in August. This time it all came together in fine fashion. Several people who were asked to contribute to recording and writing backed out in the end leaving me to "do it all". I was able to get 2 people to send me some photo's of Wolf which I scanned and returned.

Several of the people in the video said that it takes a lot to make them cry, but by the end of the song, two of them (big burly guys) were wiping tears and warned their wives to bring the tissue box before "you watch this" video since it's gonna make you cry.

This was indeed a labor of love and a project from the heart. I'm glad you all enjoyed it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Song for a friend - 02/25/13 10:39 PM
What they said. Very nice tribute. Hope he's smiling. RIP
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Song for a friend - 02/26/13 08:51 PM
Yeah.... me too...
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Song for a friend - 02/26/13 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend! Song production is excellent! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Song for a friend - 02/26/13 10:16 PM
Herb, I hear Michael Martin Murphy in your vox and that's a sincere complement. Excellent tribute to a friend. Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Song for a friend - 03/01/13 12:46 PM
Guitarhacker....thanks for a loving tribute to your friend and for bring back many memories for me of my earlier days in the hollers of West Virginia. I 'saw" quite a few friends sitting around those campfires and splashing in the creek there in your YouTube vid....haven't thought about them in years. Thanks for the memories.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Song for a friend - 03/01/13 03:19 PM
Herbie, I have always been a fan of your music, and this song is no different. I loved what you did with it. Tough to lose dear friends. It is great to have a hope for the future of receiving loved ones back. John 5:28,29

Beautiful work old friend.
© PG Music Forums