PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 01:17 PM
A sea shanty.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1176543&songID=12186967

A Sailor's Life

©2013 Robert Randall Burke

Six days out of Havana
And we're on a starboard tack
Left the lubber life behind us
And we're never lookin' back
The coast of Carolina
Is passing on the lee
A sailor's life's the one for me.

Farewell, my darlin' Maggie
Farewell to all ashore
The rollin' sea is callin' me
And I'll be home no more
I wasn't made for farmin'
For I never could be free

And we will sail on
Guided by the stars
Sail on
And climb the tiltin' spars
My father is the trade wind
And my mother is the sea

From the coast of Nova Scotia
Around the raging Horn
The young boys were a'cursin'
That they ever had been born
We Buccaneers are met with cheers
When we return from sea

Key=D , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=3:03
No intro. 61 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 61. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _ACCFOLK.STY (Folk-Pop, Accord.,Mandolin[85RS])

RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1757:Accordion, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085
RealDrums in style: PraiseWorshipSlow16ths^1-a:H24, b:SRC
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 02:20 PM
Wow! "Modern and sea shanty" I would never have thought I'd put in the same sentence. Just a great rendering of a rarely heard genre. Love the lyrics, arrangement, instrument choice, vocals and, of course, the bell. In theory, I would have strenuously argued against drums...but they are perfect for the tune. A keeper, indeed.
Posted By: boehm Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 03:00 PM
Great vocals and harmony.
Nice arrangement.

Guenter
Posted By: austin51 Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 04:02 PM

Bob,

This is a very cool song. The lyrics, vocals, music are all excellent. Great touch with the bell.

This song reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot in his heyday.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 05:59 PM
Hi Bob,

I enjoyed this one a great deal. The 7-line stanzas were a great touch. As others have already said, the song and its lyrics, arrangement and production are all first class. You certainly captured the folk feel extremely well.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 06:01 PM
Hi Bob
I liked this. I am a sailor myself so I could definitely relate.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/26/13 09:28 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks everyone.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Brallan Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 12:41 AM
This is great, Robert! Captures the essence of roamin and journyin.

I love the way the second verse brings out the brogue in your voice.... is it the name "Maggie"? Is there a story there?

I bet you know the work of the great Stan Rogers, especially his own modern sea shanty, Barrett's Privateers.
Posted By: Dazzman Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 02:11 AM
This is a great song because it inspires the imagination, images in your head. Nice Chorus too memorable.

Very commercial in its genre (popular folk) well done

regards

Darren
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 11:36 AM
Quote:

This is great, Robert! Captures the essence of roamin and journyin.

I love the way the second verse brings out the brogue in your voice.... is it the name "Maggie"? Is there a story there?

I bet you know the work of the great Stan Rogers, especially his own modern sea shanty, Barrett's Privateers.

Thanks Brad. I haven't heard "Barrett's Privateers" in years, but I love that song. For those who haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

No story in "Maggie", except that there's a Maggie in "Waking Ned Divine", one of my favorite movies.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 11:38 AM
Quote:

This is a great song because it inspires the imagination, images in your head. Nice Chorus too memorable.

Very commercial in its genre (popular folk) well done

regards

Darren

Thanks Darren.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 01:27 PM
Bob,

Gotta agree with Bud >>> Love the lyrics, arrangement, instrument choice, vocals and, of course, the bell.

It would seem that you are out to prove you can write a great song in any genre one might define. It's working so far. Your body of work is impressive! Can't wait for "what's next"....

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 01:33 PM
Hey Bob, I just played the tune for Janice and she immediately commented that she could hear Russell Crowe singing it. Dunno if you've heard him with his band but after I thought about I agree. Some of his songs seem to have a shanty hint to them. Maybe he oughta hear your song!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 01:42 PM
Quote:

Bob,

Gotta agree with Bud >>> Love the lyrics, arrangement, instrument choice, vocals and, of course, the bell.

It would seem that you are out to prove you can write a great song in any genre one might define. It's working so far. Your body of work is impressive! Can't wait for "what's next"....

floyd

Thanks Floyd. I'm just taking Dr. G's advice - having fun.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 01:54 PM
Quote:

Hey Bob, I just played the tune for Janice and she immediately commented that she could hear Russell Crowe singing it. Dunno if you've heard him with his band but after I thought about I agree. Some of his songs seem to have a shanty hint to them. Maybe he oughta hear your song!

Thanks Bud. You got Crowe's address?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sixchannel Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 03:09 PM
Hi Bob
I've passed this by the last two days as Folky Sea Shantys are just not my thing.
But this is marvellous. Better than that - its magnificent!!
Its a great tune and has a wonderful "hook" in the chorus that has me humming the darned thing all the time.
I loved the "harmonium" thingy that does the infill - I guess that was a keyboard of some kind and not native BIAB. Superb sound.
This is a "Keeper" for me. Thanks for posting it and thanks to my conscience too for making me listen to it. LOL !!
cheers
ian
oops - here I go, playing it again!!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/27/13 04:46 PM
Quote:

Hi Bob
I've passed this by the last two days as Folky Sea Shantys are just not my thing.
But this is marvellous. Better than that - its magnificent!!
Its a great tune and has a wonderful "hook" in the chorus that has me humming the darned thing all the time.
I loved the "harmonium" thingy that does the infill - I guess that was a keyboard of some kind and not native BIAB. Superb sound.
This is a "Keeper" for me. Thanks for posting it and thanks to my conscience too for making me listen to it. LOL !!
cheers
ian
oops - here I go, playing it again!!

Thanks for the kind words Ian. That instrument is an ocarina. I had to use that because I couldn't find any of our penny whistles.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/28/13 04:41 AM
Cool vocal really fits the character of the story. (BTW, Great movie you mentioned very funny.) This reminds me of Lightfoots heyday as well. Everything is spot on. You are on a roll! And it's a pleasure listening to all this fun.

Well done.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Sailor's Life - 02/28/13 10:58 AM
Josie,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums