PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Crop Circles - 03/08/13 03:19 PM
This month’s Kara-Moon quarterly review is about Crop Circles , thus the title of this song.

I used Biab’s Cloud style (Cloud-Slow ev.8 Pop) but with the following changes:
1-bass part was deleted
2-drum part was deleted
3-strings – copied into two parts
part 1 = crystal bells
part 2 = timpani and cymbals
4-guitar – copied into two parts with both using pads
5-piano – pad sounds

I played the Theremin via my midi control keyboard and the guitar part using my Rondo Tele.

I hope you like it for what it is, a 50ths sci-fi sound.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Crop Circles - 03/08/13 04:31 PM
Hi Mario, nothing like the theremin for those haunting sounds! Very interesting and creative how you used the strings to "translate" into percussion sounds, I like that idea. Very good track indeed. Do you mind telling me what do you used for the timpani's part?
Mike B.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Crop Circles - 03/08/13 04:32 PM
That was cool. You are obviously have fun! (thought the Theremin just a touch too "up" - just a little). The ending pan was fun, too.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Crop Circles - 03/08/13 10:38 PM
Neat!!! I think the first Theremin I heard (other than in 1950's scifi movies) was in Good Vibrations. Very creative. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Crop Circles - 03/08/13 11:26 PM
interesting music, would make a good scifi sound track tune. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes
Posted By: rsdean Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 03:14 AM
Mario,

This is extremely cool! Love the overall feel and vibe... Great title as well.

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 06:07 AM
Hi Mario,

Very very enjoyable. You DEFINITELY have to put a video together and use this as backing music. It's incredibly atmospheric. I love the theremin touch!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 09:23 AM
Hi, Mario !

Spooky enough ! (Lol):)
Very nicely put together.
I got the impression that
this was a long intro, so
you left us intently waiting
for the chorus part ?
I can wait, I am a pensioner (Lol):)

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 03:49 PM
Phenomenal work with biab. I would also like to see a video.
Posted By: boehm Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 03:51 PM
Hi Mario,

a great film score!
Very inventive.

Guenter
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Crop Circles - 03/09/13 10:09 PM
Sorry Mario
For some reason it wont play on my android-it just downloads pages of gibberish.
I,all try again when we get back from holidays.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Crop Circles - 03/10/13 11:06 PM
Very clever Mario! I don't think anyone would recognize Band-in-a-Box as part of the arrangement. Well done.
Posted By: Blorg Re: Crop Circles - 03/11/13 12:52 PM
WOW!! I had no idea BIAB could do this!! Love it!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Crop Circles - 03/11/13 01:16 PM
Quote:

Neat!!! I think the first Theremin I heard (other than in 1950's scifi movies) was in Good Vibrations. Very creative. Thanks for the post.

The "Theremin" in Good Vibrations was originally a lap steel guitar. I've seen it in a 60's-era video but couldn't find it to provide a link. I did find This Video On Youtube in which it seems to be played on an electronic instrument that appears to be some kind of pre-synthesizer strip controller, but still not a Theremin.

Responding to the OP, you're breaking the mold as far as BIAB usage goes. It's something to which I aspire and occasionally achieve. I love the mix of the ethereal high notes and those deep bass sounds, too. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Crop Circles - 03/11/13 06:02 PM
Superbly innovative.
COuld make a good Film score for "Close Encounters".
I LOVED the Tele guitar playing with the hint of slap-back echo there- Top Marks.
Great fun
cheers
ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: Crop Circles - 03/13/13 11:00 PM
Thanx all for listening and the extremely kind comments. I really didn’t expect such reviews on this one, as it is completely different than the norm here.

Cubanpete – the timpani are from Kontakt’s orchestra percussion that comes with Kontakt.

Peter Gannon – thank you for such a fantastically versatile piece of software. IMHO with BiaB, good sound sources (midi, RTs and RDs) and a little imagination one can create a song in almost if not all genres of music.

PS – I don’t do video, yet, but if someone want to add video be my guest.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Crop Circles - 03/15/13 02:54 PM
Mario,

Oh man! That killer ending. How did you do THAT? I also wonder, like CubanPete how you got the Timpani in there. This is innovative stuff. What would you do if assigned the job of producing a sound track for a movie like, say, "Alien" - something authentically stealthy, menacing and, above all, terrifying?

Aleck Rand
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Crop Circles - 03/15/13 08:51 PM
Very interesting....got a Pink Floyd thing going on there in a few places...kinda expected David Gilmour to drop in there at any minute...I liked it!
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Crop Circles - 03/15/13 09:25 PM
Should use this as a background for my Cosmic Impressions CD's...did five or six of them.

Sitting here sucking on my Chocolate-Flavored "Ensure" Nutrition Shake, petting my ol'
Cairne, reaching back for my "Jews Harp" to accompany your Theramin inro...and then you beat me with that crazy Rondo riff-and-dip....well...
THIS one really surprised and made my "shake" quiver with delight. Almost as good as a Fontana solo. Now, back to my "Jews Harp"!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Crop Circles - 03/23/13 07:53 PM
Aleck, Mountain Side and Gdaddy thanx for listening and the very kind comments.

Aleck – the ending is a sound from Zed 80 called Alien Swamp (Zed 80 is a third party Kontakt product) that I cut short for the ending. The Timpani was originally the B section of the BiaB string part. I lowered it one octave so it would like up with my Kontakt Orchestra’s Timpani patch. I wouldn’t mind doing the music a short scary ET video, provided that they gave this old guy time to do it!

Gdaddy, be my guest if you want to use this.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Crop Circles - 03/23/13 08:18 PM
OK now you are scaring me!

Later,
Posted By: MarioD Re: Crop Circles - 03/24/13 12:58 AM
Quote:

OK now you are scaring me!

Later,

But Danny “I’m feeling much better now” I say in my best John Astin voice.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Crop Circles - 03/24/13 08:54 PM
Very cool, Mario! You have a knack for "cinematic" sounds/productions. This one continues to showcase your creativity! I enjoyed it.

Steve
© PG Music Forums