PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 05:00 PM
Another little ditty.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1176543&songID=12210084

Carolina Girl

©2012 Robert Randall Burke

She is cool water on a hot summer day
Warm breezes where the palm trees sway
Big brown eyes that take my breath away
She's my Carolina Girl.

She's a sun risin' in a mountain sky
Sandy beaches where the sea birds fly
Her sweet voice could make the angels cry
She's my Carolina Girl.

Carolina, Carolina
A little bit of heaven in this world
You have blessed me with
A Carolina Girl.

She is Sunday morning when the church bells ring
The sweetest song that I'll ever sing
And I'll be givin' this wedding ring
To my Carolina Girl.

Carolina, Carolina
A little bit of heaven in this world
You have blessed me with
A Carolina.....
The greatest gift
A Carolina.....
Blessed me with
A Carolina Girl.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 05:33 PM
Bob,

ANOTHER great song! Beautiful lyric ("Her sweet voice could make the angels cry"). Beautiful melody. Beautiful production and mix.

But.... this one just CRIES for some sweet harmonies in that beautiful chorus!!

Loved it.

floyd
Posted By: ROG Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 06:13 PM
Hey Bob.

Every time you post a new song you raise that bar a bit higher.

Sounds to me like a song that James Taylor could have written. Like Floyd said, beautiful lyrics and melody with a mix that's straight off country radio.

But the best thing has to be your performance of it - so confident, yet relaxed and full of expression.

I go with Floyd again on the harmonies, but it's still a fantastic song.

ROG.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 06:28 PM
OMG! Bob you have absolutely stolen my heart with this song. I am totally smitten with it. I want to hear it over and over.

It's so romantic....what a woman loves to hear. Fabulous lyrics. The tune is so pretty. It's just beautifully done and sung. Yeah I could hear some sweet harmonies in there but as is it packs a whallop....

Did I mention I love it...LOL!

WOW. Top drawer.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 06:36 PM
Great stuff Bob. Nice flow, tells your story.....

But shouldn't it be about a Florida girl?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 06:38 PM
Quote:

But.... this one just CRIES for some sweet harmonies in that beautiful chorus!!

You need to lend him Cat and Pickles!!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 07:40 PM
Nailed it Bob! That is a great song. Wow what a performance. As we say here in California "Dude!"
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 08:03 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks guys.

Bob
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Carolina Girl - 03/10/13 11:02 PM
Another great one Bob!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 12:23 AM
As they say in the Southern Province of Oklahoma: "Awesome, Possum!" Very enjoyable throughout.

More please?
Posted By: dani48 Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 01:16 AM
Hi, Bob !

A very nice tune with
a totally incredible sound !:)
Wonderful playing and vocals too !
I enjoyed listening very much !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 06:59 AM
Very well done, lyrics are outstanding and the performance is excellent. Music production is top notch, love the lead guitar. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 11:16 AM
Dr. - Thanks for the kind remark. It wouldn't be possible without your creation. BIAB is the greatest songwriting tool ever.

Don, Dani, Robert – Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 11:18 AM
Hi Bob,

This is so much more than "another little ditty". I thoroughly enjoyed listening. I've got to hand it to you, everything about this is great - music, lyrics, arrangement, mix, performance. I've also got to say that, to my ears, the lyric development is incredibly strong and with each section, I could feel the emotional intensity of the song climb up a notch or two.

This is text book worthy "excellent work"!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 12:37 PM
Very nice. I agree, very James Taylor like. One of the songs I like playing just with my guitar is James Taylor’s Carolina on my mind . This reminds me of that song.
Well done!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 01:59 PM
Noel and Jo,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 05:01 PM
Hi Bob,

Beautiful lyrics, melody, production and mix.
And a beautiful voice.

Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 05:14 PM
Thanks Guenter.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Carolina Girl - 03/11/13 05:46 PM
I knew a girl like that! Couldn't a pass her by so just had to marry her! 46 years - and counting! ( I was a Child Bride!! lol !)
Great song, Bob. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
Harmonies in the chorus? Why yes, they'd be a cool addition but there are lines in the verses that would be superb with Floyd styles harmonies at the end of some lines too.
Excellent production.
Enjoyed it so much.
IAn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/12/13 10:18 AM
Thanks Ian.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Carolina Girl - 03/12/13 12:22 PM
Bob,

Just wanted you to know... this is one of the few songs that I have ever called up several times - just for the pure joy of listening...

floyd
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/12/13 12:47 PM
Thanks Floyd.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Carolina Girl - 03/13/13 03:25 AM
Solid, Top Shelf, AAA+ this is a very good song.

Edited portion: Listening again and while this is a country flavored song I can't help but want to sing it in front of a slow Bossa orsimilar latin style, or is it just me?

Later,
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/13/13 10:31 AM
Thanks Danny.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Carolina Girl - 03/15/13 09:10 PM
Really nice Bob. The combination of your writing skills and vocals are a hit with me!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/16/13 11:42 AM
Thanks MountainSide.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Carolina Girl - 03/19/13 04:55 PM
How did I miss this? It's all already been said. A user forum "keeper." Thanks for the listen(s).
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/19/13 05:17 PM
Thanks Mootsman.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Carolina Girl - 03/19/13 11:34 PM
Bob,

Very, very nice! I like everything about this! Glad I listened to it.

Steve
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/20/13 11:22 AM
Thanks Steve.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Carolina Girl - 03/30/13 03:21 PM
90 db, well done. Pretty song.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 03/30/13 05:55 PM
Thanks Charlie.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 06:12 PM
Just wanted to let you know I found this song on my first log in to the forum back in April last year and it is still my favorite so far. Like Floyd Jane, I return time and again whenever I come on the forum, pull it up, close my eyes and simply listen and enjoy. Like most posters, my musical influences let me 'hear' influences in a song. For instance, I don't necessarily 'hear' James Taylor influence probably because of the instrumentation and style choices you made in production seem to have a more country feel to me than acoustic rock that I associate James Taylor with. Eight months after first enjoying your song, I still associate strong influences of my musical background with your song. Because the influences I am hearing within your song remain even today, I'd like to share them with you. Being located in Florida, you may not be familiar with Carolina Beach Music, a genre that is extremely popular along the US east coast primarily stretching from Georgia up to Virginia. It may extend some into Florida but the bands seem to rotate from Georgia to Virginia Beach. Originating in Myrtle Beach, SC, beach music produced a dance called the Shag. (not the UK word LOL). With minor tempo and instrumentation tweaks in your arrangement, your song has huge potential commercially in that genre in my opinion. (I live near Myrtle Beach and have been involved in "beach music" since the early 1960's.) The closet connection of similar production to your song I can point you to for reference is "Shaggin' on the Boulevard" by Country artists ALABAMA. It was a national country and cross over rock hit for them several years ago and video is available on YouTube. While on YouTube, I also recommend you view Beach Music medley (Long Version) by THE EMBERS and "Lady Soul" by THE BAND OF OZ. Your song is very strong as you have produced it. It has a very good chord progression, strong lyrics and everything fits well into the mix. I'm not saying anything needs to be changed but just wanted to share my thoughts with you. Regards.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 06:40 PM
Yeah one of my favs as well. course i love everything Bob does
Posted By: Al-David Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 07:13 PM
Hi Bob...

I don't have a clue what we could add to what has already been said. It's a great song, great production and delivery with raw emotion. it's fabulous and is the best three minutes or so we've had listening to music in while. For our ears, it has "commercial success" written all over it. Kudos!

Al & Di
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Just wanted to let you know I found this song on my first log in to the forum back in April last year and it is still my favorite so far. Like Floyd Jane, I return time and again whenever I come on the forum, pull it up, close my eyes and simply listen and enjoy. Like most posters, my musical influences let me 'hear' influences in a song. For instance, I don't necessarily 'hear' James Taylor influence probably because of the instrumentation and style choices you made in production seem to have a more country feel to me than acoustic rock that I associate James Taylor with. Eight months after first enjoying your song, I still associate strong influences of my musical background with your song. Because the influences I am hearing within your song remain even today, I'd like to share them with you. Being located in Florida, you may not be familiar with Carolina Beach Music, a genre that is extremely popular along the US east coast primarily stretching from Georgia up to Virginia. It may extend some into Florida but the bands seem to rotate from Georgia to Virginia Beach. Originating in Myrtle Beach, SC, beach music produced a dance called the Shag. (not the UK word LOL). With minor tempo and instrumentation tweaks in your arrangement, your song has huge potential commercially in that genre in my opinion. (I live near Myrtle Beach and have been involved in "beach music" since the early 1960's.) The closet connection of similar production to your song I can point you to for reference is "Shaggin' on the Boulevard" by Country artists ALABAMA. It was a national country and cross over rock hit for them several years ago and video is available on YouTube. While on YouTube, I also recommend you view Beach Music medley (Long Version) by THE EMBERS and "Lady Soul" by THE BAND OF OZ. Your song is very strong as you have produced it. It has a very good chord progression, strong lyrics and everything fits well into the mix. I'm not saying anything needs to be changed but just wanted to share my thoughts with you. Regards.

Thanks for the kind remarks. We are all the sum total of every piece of music we have loved. The James Taylor reference is amusing, because I absolutely loathe JT! grin

I am a bit familiar with shag dance music, since we spent the last three years living in the Upstate of SC – near Greenville. Never wrote any though; this was just a song I wrote while living in beautiful South Carolina. If you are connected to anyone who can get airplay for the song, please let me know and I'll notify BMI. wink

Thanks for taking the time to listen, and for the comprehensive review. If we ever get booked in MB we'll look you up.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 07:43 PM
Bob, I had not heard this one. Absolutely fantastic. Great melody and lyrics. Well sung and produced. My favorite of yours. It just works. Congratulations on a beautifully crafted song. Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 08:01 PM
Rob, Al, Tommy,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 10:35 PM
Great stuff, Bob. Thanks for posting.

Your work is always "top shelf" my friend!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 10:42 PM
Hi, Bob !

This is just great !:))
I loved everything about it !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Carolina Girl - 01/05/14 10:44 PM
Bob, please join us on Street Jelly, some outstanding talent over there. Lots of your BIAB friends too.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 01/06/14 11:13 AM
Dani - thanks.

Don - ditto.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Carolina Girl - 01/06/14 01:08 PM
A veritable BOB-FEST!!! What could be better!

Still love this song!

floyd
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Carolina Girl - 01/06/14 04:19 PM
Bob,
What a great song! Love the strings at the end.
SD
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Carolina Girl - 01/06/14 06:54 PM
FJ, SpaceDog,

ta very much.

Bob
© PG Music Forums