PG Music Home
Posted By: Achordocaster New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/25/13 08:07 AM
Here's my latest song that I started writing last month.

http://achordmusic.mymusicstream.com/track/the-great-unknown

The song was "inspired" by (if that's even the right word) the rythm guitar lick I play at the beginning, I just couldn't stop messing around with that lick and eventually came up with a progression and then the lyrics.

It's kinda cool that I never really know what "method" I'm gonna end up using when I write a song these days.

Anyway It's all RT's except for my guitar parts, which are probably pretty obvious. I'm doing all the vocals as well.

I'm not sure if the mix is where I want it yet or not... But then again I usually never am!

All comment are welcome.

Greg

©2013 Words & Music: Greg Achord

The Great Unknown

Some say life is always meant to change
Every day there’s something new
I say keep your eyes ahead don’t be afraid
There’s gonna be someone for you
We will struggle that’s just normal for us all
Sometimes we conquer and sometimes we fall

You can be a better man
Find someone to walk this life with hand in hand
Step by step you both will grow
Learning and changing sharing the great unknown

Some say for everyone there is a match
The one that’s meant for only you
I say they must be right it’s down to fate
Look in the eyes you’ll see it’s true
You may search for years and never find the one
But don’t give up until the race is run

(Chorus)

When you see the light make sure you run it’s way
Give up on love and there’s a price you’ll pay

(Chorus)
Posted By: sixchannel Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/25/13 08:44 AM
Excellent song Greg.I enjoyed the lyrics - very thoughtful.
I can see where you were coming from with that 'lick'. Its particularly good and strong between the first and second verse. Great guitar work from you. Hard to tell who is RT and when is Greg - and that's a complement.
Was that style a hybrid or a standard All RT style?
Cant comment on mix as i'm away from base for few days so am listening on my Nexus 7.
Enjoyed it very much indeed.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: ROG Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/25/13 09:32 AM
Hi Greg.

That's just superb! I like everything about it, from the excellent guitar sound to the lead and backing vocals, the great drum track, the arrangement, well everything!

Great production and mix, too. A "Starship" type solo might have been nice, but it's a brilliant track anyway.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/25/13 03:36 PM
Greg,

Very enjoyable. Nice guitar sound - and a great mix all around.

floyd
Excellent track! Lyrics are exceptional and the performance is perfect! Thanks for sharing!
Hey Ian,

Thanks for the complement.

The style was not a hybrid, though I did replace the bass track with a different one and added a couple of additional guitar RT's... Does that make it a hybrid??

Here's some more info:

Style - _M165MND
Drums - PopPromiseEv16^3 (I think this was a differnt drum track than the one that came with the style too)
Bass - RT1521 (this track stayed more on the 1/4 notes of the bass drum than the original)
Acc Guitar - RT's380 & 676
Elec Guitar - RT844
Piano - RT1610
Mandolin - RT609

Thanks again for the listen,

Greg
Posted By: boehm Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/26/13 03:31 PM
Hi Greg,

a very enjoyable song.
Liked the vocals, harmonies an the guitar.

Guenter
What they all said! Nice. Did you open mic the guitar?
Nice tune. Like the words. Great vocals and harmonization.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/26/13 08:30 PM
Like everything you've done here. With that said, and again it was all good, my ears kept going back to those great ahhhhs.

Very enjoyable listen.

Later,
Just want to thanks to Rog, Floyd, Robert, Guenter & Mt Side for taking the time to listen and the kind words. I appreciate it.

Mootsman(Bud?): Thanks, and no I didn't mic the guitar. It was a patch on my Fender GDec amp that I got through a usb connection.

Danny C, Thank you too. The Ahhh's (they're really Ooo's though) have become one of my favorite parts of the song as well, I didn't even know they were gonna be there till I started doing the vocals... and then they just jumped out at me.

Anyway thanks again guy's!

Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/29/13 12:51 AM
Enjoyed it very much Greg.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/30/13 01:05 PM
Hi Greg,

Please +1 to everything that's been said. This was a really enjoyable listen and a great showcase for your musicianship.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Original Song "The Great Unknown" - 03/30/13 02:52 PM
Quote:

Danny C, Thank you too. The Ahhh's (they're really Ooo's though) have become one of my favorite parts of the song as well, I didn't even know they were gonna be there till I started doing the vocals... and then they just jumped out at me.

Anyway thanks again guy's!

Greg

Proves once again that one man's Ooo's are another man's Ahhs.

Later,
Sounds great. Enjoyed the listen.
Just want to say thanks to Josie, Noel and Charlie. I appreciate the listen and the comments.

Danny- Oooo that's so true... Ahhh yes it is!

Thanks again,

Greg

I just started putting tracks together today for a new song... So stay tuned.
© PG Music Forums