PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/25/13 11:46 PM

A SMALL SUITCASE

Janice and I attempted to create a TexMex or "border" sound with this tune that we wrote last week. We like what some of the alt country Texas artists do with this genre and started considering what RealTracks could create TexMex sound. RealTrack wise it took some genre bending and, obviously, for those who have listened to our previous renderings, it's an experimental sound for us old blues and bluegrass folks.

And a BIG shout out to Floyd Jane for both providing advice on the mix and singing harmony!

Thanks for listening.

Janice: Lead and harmony vocal
Floyd Jane: harmony vocal
Bass: RealTrack 1817 Son Montuno
Guitar: RealTrack 1175 Calypso
Drums/Percussion: RealDrums TexMex Country
Accordion: RealTrack 1292 TexMex
Mandolin: RealTrack 1609 Pop
Resophonic Guitar: RealTrack 2040 Country
Fiddle: RealTrack 1877 Country
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 06:02 AM
Hey Guys,

That was just fabulous! Great song! Great mix! Great vocals! I love Janice's voice!!

This may be an experimental sound for you two... But I think it fits like a glove.

Cudo's to Floyd as well.

Greg
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 07:41 AM
Beautiful work! Vocal is outstanding and lyrics roll perfect, backing tracks excellent! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 08:14 AM
Hi Janice and Bud (and Floyd)
What a great song!!
Being a Brit, the TexMex isn't too well known here but I got hooked on it when working up my "Mexicana Tex"..
I enjoyed the tune and the lyrics are brill!
The chorus line "Honey - forget to write" is superb.Made me laugh.
Nicely done harmony from Floyd too
I really enjoyed it.
Ian
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 01:11 PM
Bud - Very nice. I think your "genre bending" has invented a new style - "Mexigrass"!

I love the line "Please forget to write".

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 04:04 PM
Hi Janice and Bud and Floyd,

Wow! These voices!
I liked the accordion.
Very good mix.

Guenter
Posted By: MountainSide Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/26/13 06:08 PM
Wow, not what I expected to hear from the Mootsman group...but wow you nailed it! As always, great vocals...Floyd adds a great touch.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/27/13 12:18 PM
Thanks everybody.

The one thing that I like best about BIAB is that it affords us the opportunity explore new genres, bend genres and blend genres. During all the years we played in Bluegrass bands I always felt that janice had the vocal chops to branch out a little. I'm sure we overdo it a times with our mishmash of RealTracks but it is fun.
Posted By: Sundance Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/29/13 12:56 AM
Nice mishmash. Seriously, I always enjoy listenig to what ya'll come up with.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 03/29/13 09:33 PM
Just wanted to throw my "2 cents" in....

I pretty much love everything that Bud and Janice do. Bud's incredible "touch" with the BIAB RT's and Janice's heavenly vocals. If you are not a fan... there is something wrong with you!!

I'm pleased that I could "add" something here (a harmony) - as simple as that might be... This is such a cool song! It has been in my head every morning when I wake up since Bud first sent it to me.... I love it. If the world were a "just" place, The Merritts would be stars. We are lucky that they share here on the BIAB forum.

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 04/01/13 07:34 AM
Hi Bud, Janice and Floyd.

This is as outstanding as anything I've heard from your studios. The whole production exudes professionalism every which way I look at it: the composition, the arrangement, Janice's singing, Floyd's harmonies, Bud's production. I'm in awe of what the three of you have accomplished.

All the best,
Noel.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A SMALL SUITCASE - 04/01/13 01:25 PM
Thanks y'all! We genuinely appreciate what you folks say. It was really a fun project. And Floyd's "simple part" made a huge difference in our opinion. Janice hasn't had the opportunity to sing with anybody other than herself for years and even though she does it well (singing lead and harmony) there's nothing better than other voice in the mix.
© PG Music Forums