PG Music Home
Posted By: Gilley Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 03/31/13 08:59 PM
Here’s a little ditty created in response to a series of calls from a bill collector, who’s convinced I must know somebody named Brooke. Technical details: all instrument tracks were created in BIAB using RealStyle _CBALMNS for the verse, and midi style NR_HILL+ (with midi and RealDrums) for the chorus. So there’s not a lick here musically that BIAB didn’t generate. The audio and midi tracks were exported to Logic Pro, where a Ketron SD2 was used for the midi tracks. Melodyne was used to add a little harmony in the chorus (and probably should have been used for some more pitch correction.) Otherwise, no plug-ins or special effects other than the reverb, compressor, etc. that comes standard with Logic Pro 9.

https://soundcloud.com/mister-gilley/brooke

The music starts about 35 seconds in. Not much of a song, but I tried to get a good mix. Suggestions welcome.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 03/31/13 09:34 PM
ha, ha -- way to use everyday life for a song idea and inspiration. It sounds pretty good, good change-up in the chorus.

What version of melodyne do you have -- the harmonies sound really good! Super cool song.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 03/31/13 10:47 PM
LOL! "blood sucking slime" Too funny. Very creative. Nice job on those harmonies and mix of instruments.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 03/31/13 10:58 PM
excellent concept for a song!
I think it has commercial potential
(meaning the song could probably be sold to an artist who already has his niche but needs new material)

2 thumbs up
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 12:36 AM
Very creative = very enjoyable listen.

Later,
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 04:05 AM
Ha,Ha, awesome use of a phone message from a bill collector. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: boehm Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 01:55 PM
Hi Gilley,

very funny. Good use of BiaB.

Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 02:19 PM
Very cool!

"Suggestions welcome"

I would suggest that you record that onto your outgoing voicemail for the next time they call.

Enjoyed that - thanks.

Regards,

Bob
+ 1

And I think 90 dB's suggestion was spot on!
That was great....quite a laugh...loved it!!
Posted By: gibson Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 06:37 PM
+1

What a wonderful subject for a song!!! and with the voice bits

BRILLIANT
and yes 90 db's idea is also excellent

Alyn
Posted By: Gilley Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 09:20 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the feedback.
As to Kemmrich's Melodyne question, I just used Melodyne Editor 2, the AU plug-in, on a track I'd doubled, dragging the notes around until it sounded good. I also tried creating harmonies in Antares Harmony Engine and Harmony EFX, but the result in Melodyne sounded more natural (though it could be I'm just more familiar with Melodyne).
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Brooke must be broke, whoever she is - 04/01/13 10:16 PM
Very clever and very well done. The same thing happened to me. After 40 calls, I called them back and SCREAMED at them until they finally hung up. They never called again.

Cool song... got more like that?
© PG Music Forums