PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 04:22 PM
Something a bit more on the "pop" side this time. Hey, ya gotta change it up once in a while...
One of those songs about "puttin' up a good front".

A Face In The Crowd

Here are the RealTracks:

RealTracks in song: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 633:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 1852:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftArp Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 587:Sax, Tenor, 2-Beat Rock Ev 110
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I added a couple of acoustic tracks and the vocal.
The BIABettes added the harmonies.

As always, comments encouraged...

floyd
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 04:35 PM
Pretty solid tune IMO Floyd. The lyrics are really well focused and the chorus has a nice melodic lift. I like it and can't really think of much to say in critique. I like the mix too.

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: ROG Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 06:33 PM
Well up to your usual high standard, Floyd.

Pop, yes, but with a definite country influence?

Particularly liked the chorus - it's always a good sign when you find yourself singing it long after the track's finished!

ROG.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 07:14 PM
Hey Floyd,

Another fine job! I like the pop/country feel this has going for it. I also think the sax is working well. The lead guitar track is cool too, but right when it comes in for the ending/outro (on the C#m) I'm hearing a couple of bad (or at least questionable) notes that (to me) are sticking out like a sore thumb. I think I'd regenerate that guitar section and see if you can't get him to make a little better choice.
It's great other than that.

Greg
Posted By: sixchannel Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 07:32 PM
Hi Floyd
you've been busy too!
Yeah - a fine "pop" song". Its one of those wonderful '4 chord trick' songs but with your writing skills and the phrasing, it lifts out of what might be ordinary up to a much higher level. With Brent guitar in there it kinda reminded me of The Carpenters "Mr Postman".
I can hear what Greg means. There are features like that in most, if not all of mine and I guess I could re-gen all day to get just the right "take" but life's too short AND the sun is shining. (well - today it is anyway).
Top Class, Floyd.
cheers
ian
Posted By: boehm Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/17/13 11:30 PM
Hi Floyd,

outstanding lyrics, beautiful voice and the
beloved Biabettes.
That poppy coating suits you well.
Enjoyed listening as always.
That sax fits in well, but Greg is right with the guitar.
Brent is a little tricky sometimes.

Guenter
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 01:24 AM
Hi Floyd,

This is really excellent! But I would not expect any less from you! As usual, you have come up with some really good lyrics, well expressed in your singing. And you can call it pop if you want to, but I'll still say it's got a good country feel to it.

I agree about the guitar, but it's not a deal killer.

Very nice.

Steve
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 07:29 AM
Brilliant work! Outstanding production as well as songwriting! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 08:36 AM
Hi,
Nice feel to this.
I like the pacing of the vocal. The mix is good. Do I hear the guitar off notes. Well, sort of, but I think it doesn't detract that much from the overall song.

Great work.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 01:23 PM
Pop? It seems like all the genres have become such big tents that I'm about at the point of taking a binary approach, i.e., it's good or bad music. And this tune certainly falls in the good camp. I dunno if you have a file cabinet with a zillion good songs or if you crank them out when needed but, whatever, the output is incredibly impressive. The vocals, the lyrics, the melody, the mix and the effects all work very well for us and sound fine on my studio monitors. The tenor sax is a nice touch and fits right in. I experimented around with that RealTrack on a "cover song" and it is quite expressive. Your variant (generation) is perfect for the song.
Posted By: Sundance Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 03:08 PM
Still has a country edge to me and that's a good thing. Well crafted.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 03:54 PM

Hey Floyd that is another excellent one. You never seem to surprise me. I love it keep it up. I was just offered my radio job back at the radio station that I used to work at. Would it be alright to play your song's on the radio? The radio station has gone national. I get to play any music that I want to. As long as it has a copyright. I would also ask you are you affiliated with any of the performing rights organizations? The reason that I ask this, is because if I play your music you would get paid performance rights for playing it on the air. Let me know! You can email me at rapidgeon9@bmi.net hope to hear from you soon.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 04:17 PM
Before I get to anything else....

I have regened the guitar solo/outro and replaced the song. If anyone who "mentioned to bad notes" listens again... I would appreciate knowing if I "got it fixed"...
Posted By: boehm Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 04:24 PM
Hi Floyd,

for me it sounds perfect now.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 04:48 PM
Ian F - thanks for the listen. and, again, welcome to the forum.

ROG - appreciate the thoughts. thanks.

Greg - thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've re-done that part of the solo. It actually might have been a couple of notes from one of the rhythm guitar tracks. I noticed them when I was re-doing the solo - and turned that track off at that point. If you happen by again, let me know if it's fixed...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 04:55 PM
Ian (6C) - Always appreciate your comments...

Guenter - Thank you - you're always so good about giving the BIABettes their due...

Steve - It is always nice to hear good things from you...

Robert - thank you for the kind words.

Phil - Thanks for the listen.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 04:59 PM
Bud - thanks - always good to know it sounds ok on the KRKs.

Josie - thanks for that. appreciate it.

trapper - go right ahead... queue 'em up...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 05:01 PM
Guenter - Just noticed... thanks for the re-listen. I'm pretty sure it was actually coming from the rhythm guitar track... but as long as it's fixed, we'll let whoever it was slide just this once....

floyd
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/18/13 06:31 PM
Hey Floyd,

It's all good now!

Greg
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/19/13 10:19 AM
Well done Floyd - another good one.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/19/13 12:17 PM
Hey Floyd,

You've done it again! I long to be able to write songs with your level of "consistently good"! This song is equally excellent as all its predecessors. Like Rog, I found myself humming / singing the chorus long after the song had finished.

My favourite sequence of rhymes were ...

no tears in my eyes, a clever disguise
i can hide how i feel inside

I felt a definite build-up when you sang these. You've got some great inner rhymes sprinkled throughout the lyric, too. The more I listened, the more this song came across as a work you really enjoyed putting together.

Off for another listen now ...

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Danny C. Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/19/13 10:01 PM
Just got here Floyd . . . I'll just ad my kuddos to all of the wonderful remarks above.

You are a machine man!

later
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/20/13 09:03 PM
Bob - always appreciate your stamp of approval.

Danny - thank you for taking the time to listen - and the kind words.

Noel - glad you found this one to your liking. always appreciate your insights on songs. sometimes songs just fall out of you. that is what happened with this one. once the idea "appeared" it just spilled onto the page - and 45 minutes later it was done. it would be nice if they all happened that quickly....

floyd
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/21/13 03:11 PM
Floyd,

when I first saw the title I thought it might be a cover of a Tom Petty song... but you changed my mind pretty quickly. I must say, you have a real knack for writing and performing interesting songs
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/21/13 06:19 PM
Great work Floyd
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/21/13 07:26 PM
hi floyd and jane great production as always love your stuff everything sets perfect in the mix vocals lyrics song writeing is not easy well done thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/21/13 08:29 PM
Pat - thanks for that. someone else mentioned TP to me - and I am not familiar with that one - Renegade is one of my all time favorite albums, so I suppose I ought to look that one up...

Joanne - thanks. glad to see ya back! (where ya been?)

eric - appreciate the listen, man..
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Face In The Crowd - 04/23/13 10:01 AM
Hi Floyd

I have been on that Berklee Online Songwriting course. Taking up all my spare time!!! I am back in the saddle and starting to write again. Maybe time for another collaboration?
© PG Music Forums