PG Music Home
In 1949 in Sweden, saxophonist James Moody recorded a solo on "I'm in the Mood for Love" considered so perfect that jazz singer Eddie Jefferson set lyrics to it in 1952 and made it a song in its own right. In one stroke, Moody and Jefferson created an entirely new kind of jazz singing: vocalese. In 1954 another singer, King Pleasure, turned "Moody's Mood for Love" into a hit, now considered a classic: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq0Lsi2PeE4. James Moody tells the story of how it all came about in an interview with Camille Cosby (Bill Cosby's wife): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxMozZZLzA

"Moody's Mood for Love" was performed on an episode of the Cosby show. If you saw the movie LIVING OUT LOUD with Danny DeVito and Holly Hunter http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120722/ you heard it sung by - get ready for this - Queen Latifah! Did you know that Latifah's real name is Dana Owens? - and that girl can SANG! She is the third co-star of the movie.

The version of "Moody's Mood for Love" here is a new arrangement by Aleck Rand, who plays bass and does the vocals. But the real star is the TC-Helicon harmonizer. This device might fool you into thinking PG Music got the Manhattan Transfer to be one of its RealTracks artists. Accompanying are RealTracks artists and SmoothJazz heavy-hitters Jeff Lorber (keyboards) and Franklin (Third) Richardson (drums).

Listen to "Moody's Mood for Love": https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/moodys-mood-for-love
Hi Aleck,

just brilliant.
Your voice, the background vocals and your
bass solo!
Really enjoyed the track.

Guenter
Thank you Guenter,

I'm glad you liked it, and the very favorable remarks are especially appreciated.

Aleck
The TC harmonies are outstanding, sound so real. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you kindly PgFantastic.

Aleck
aleck,

I'd have to say I like everything about this - except the song.

Your vocal is cool. Your tracks are great - as is the mix. The bass solo is very neat.

I listened 4 times in a row to give it a chance to sink in a bit - but, it just came down to - I don't like the song, itself. Obviously, there are a lot of people who do....

I'd much rather hear you do a jazzy version of "I'm In The Mood For Love". That - I could dig.

floyd
Hey Floyd,

First let me say that I'm a great admirer of your work - I wish I had your intonation man, the way you nail them notes. Regarding your comment, I'm sympathetic. The entirety of Jazz is a vanishing musical form and "vocalese" (putting lyrics to improvised solos) was always a tiny and obscure part of it. No one does it any more.

Nevertheless, your candid appraisal is appreciated and taken seriously. Without it, I wouldn't know what to steer clear of, what Forum members like and don't like, etc. My next post will take these matters into consideration.

Aleck
Aleck, this is too funny. I heard a comedian named, Taylor Mason, spoof this song. I thought he was being a ham using the "Lounge Lizard". I had no idea it was a real song! Thanks for sharing.

As for the style, I think it is something that is novel. However, where I live I would have to say that Jazz is a long way from vanishing. Thank the LORD! I have a couple of high school bands that have jazz ensembles that will blow you away given their age. I was inspired to see how much of Jazz exists out there. Youtube, like you noted, has been a great source to expose the younger gens to it.

Recently, I got a teen son of a friend of mine hooked on Pat Williams & Chuck Mangione. The kid was born well past both of these artists 'hey days'. But, he is hooked and has asked me if I would help him arrange Threshold for his high school band project.

So, take comfort that there is a lot of Jazz going out there. Turn someone on to it in your neighborhood! That is how I got hooked.

I do have to encourage you, as Floyd did, try to knock out the original "I'm in the mood for Love" with the same saucy expressions. It may trigger more as it is more familiar to people's ears.
Well done Aleck. Especially cool ending too.
© PG Music Forums