PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Lucky For Me - 05/03/13 10:20 PM
A fingerpick guitar and a bit of cello is sometimes about all you need.
Lucky for me... BIAB has 'em...

The song came about when someone said in a casual conversation... "Yeah, well, lucky for me I haven't figured that out yet...". I figured there had to be a song in there somewhere...

Lucky For Me

All RealTracks...

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashPopBallad^01-a:SideStick, Partially Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Partially Closed HiHat

Comments encouraged (and for the most part, tolerated... cool )

floyd
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Lucky For Me - 05/03/13 10:36 PM
Always a pleasure to see when a new song of yours is posted. You got such a "comfortable" singing voice, your arrangements are always spot on -- and most of the the songwriting is top notch. This one is no exception!!

I hope to re-do the angels song again soon, I'll let you know when that happens.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 12:20 AM
Hi Floyd,

Yet another great listen!!! When it comes to consistently terrific songs, you're up there with the best that this forum offers. Your music, your lyrics and your skilful performance never disappoint. I really like the twist you've taken with the hook. It's very clever. I'd love to be able to think of things like that!

I have to say that I also really liked the 7-phrase verses and the flattened chord 7 in the chorus. To my mind, they're brushstrokes of a master artist smile

I'm ready for the next one now!

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Rafa T Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 12:42 AM
Beautiful song, and a great job with the arrangements and mix. Congratulations.

Rafa
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 01:52 AM
This may be my "new" favorite of yours. Solid in every way, especially performance.

Later,
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 09:57 AM
Dude!

Lucky for me I heard this song. Definitely going on the Floyd Jane Bootleg Album #2!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: gibson Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 10:41 AM
Beautiful, well worth a listen or two

Alyn
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 12:25 PM
Wow, what a voice! Radio ready, no doubt.
Posted By: boehm Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 02:11 PM
Hi Floyd,

simply beautiful.
Great lyrics, your voice and harmony, arrangement
and mix.
Just going to have my third listen.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 04:26 PM
Floyd,

Your poetry jammed a lump in my throat as soon as I heard the chorus, and it's still there after 3 listenings:

"Lucky for me my heart is on its own.
Its too blind to see that the rest of me is standing here alone.
If it ever learns that you've slipped away,
Heaven knows there'll be hell to pay. .... (my favorite line)
Lucky for me my heart doesn't know you're gone."

And your voice gives it total authority. Someone, above, said it was radio ready. Not on the CW stations I listen to. They never play music with the heartfelt brilliance of Lucky For Me. You'll just have to get your own station, man.

Aleck
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Lucky For Me - 05/04/13 07:15 PM
Floyd,

Another excellent job! Wonderful song writing, great vocals & production!
Reminds me of something Garth would have released in the 90's. cool

Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lucky For Me - 05/05/13 12:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who has listened and taken the time to comment. This really is a wonderful community...

Kevin - thanks for that. looking forward to "angels".

Noel - I always SO enjoy your comments. Not sure what the "the flattened chord 7 in the chorus" is... I just write songs... but glad you liked that... smile

Rafa - thanks for dropping by for a listen.

Danny - I think my new goal should be to make each new one your "new favorite"... then we'd be on to something!

Bob - Thanks, man. I'm close to getting Bootleg #2 together (you have given me an idea for the title).

Alyn - appreciate you taking the time to comment...

Jeff - if only... (thank you)

Guenter - Thanks, as always...

Aleck - Wow, what can I say... that is some nice stuff to say.. I truly appreciate it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lucky For Me - 05/05/13 12:20 AM
Greg - (you fell to the next page)... appreciate that... and where is Garth when you need him, huh????
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lucky For Me - 05/05/13 05:18 AM
Hi floyd,

I should have said "the chord built on the flattened 7th of the key".

For example, if you're in the key of D (which I think this song is), the the chord I'm meaning is the "C major" chord. When used well, like you've used it, it's a great chord!

Going back for my umpteenth listen now smile
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Lucky For Me - 05/06/13 03:02 PM
Nice writing.

I love it when a word or a phrase during the day inspires the idea of a song. It doesn't always work out but when it does, WOW! This is a good one.
Posted By: ROG Re: Lucky For Me - 05/06/13 04:18 PM
Floyd - what can I say that hasn't been said already?

This has to be some of the best singing I've heard you do. You've always had a good voice and a good ear for a harmony, but your performance gets more expressive with every new song.

At the end of the day, an expressive performance is worth more than all the controlled vibrato and projection in the world. (But it's nice to have those as well!)

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lucky For Me - 05/07/13 02:03 AM
Noel - got it... it's good when you can fit that in...

Herb - thanks for that.

ROG - always nice when "the regulars" chime in. appreciate it. and thanks for the vocal comments. I am SO enjoying your vocals. Really. I might even ask you to add vocals to some of my stuff in the future....
Posted By: ROG Re: Lucky For Me - 05/07/13 08:19 AM
Floyd - I'd be honored to work with you anytime.

ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lucky For Me - 05/07/13 01:34 PM
In the bluegrass world we come from there are several "insider' recognized sub-genres. And one of those is what we called "heart songs." They, IMO, are some of the hardest to write and perform. If the story is "true life" it tears you up to write and perform it. If it is not then you have to make the listener believe it is. The best allow the listener to either identify with the lyric or sympathize deeply with the performer (or both). When lyrics are stilted, tedious, overly angst ridden, too philosophical, etc., they immediately or slowly drift away from you.

This is a wonderful example of a heart song where EVERYTHING works and NOTHING distracts. The kind of song that makes you stop what you are doing and LISTEN.

Bud
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Lucky For Me - 05/07/13 07:53 PM
Floyd,

Absolutely beautiful (as expected). Masterfully crafted. Great lyrics. Arrangement just right! Glad I heard it.

Steve
Posted By: Sundance Re: Lucky For Me - 05/08/13 02:29 AM
Love your vocal. Sounds great with the simple guitar and cello arrangement.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lucky For Me - 05/08/13 05:13 PM
Bud - that's some awfully nice stuff to say..

Steve - that's some nice stuff, too....

Josie - I appreciate you stopping by to listen and comment...
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Lucky For Me - 05/09/13 12:33 AM
hi Floyd wonderful peace of music well done thanks eric
© PG Music Forums