PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker FREE - 05/06/13 02:38 PM
This is a new song I wrote starting last week.... I just wanted to write something so I started with the one word title.

It's composed in BB and then rendered to Real Band with the real tracks. Then I replaced the acoustic guitars and mandolin as well as bass and drums. So.... yeah, the piano and the B3 are the only remaining BB tracks in this but hey... that still counts....right?

So here's the link: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12306662

Hope you enjoy the walk through my imagination.
Posted By: gibson Re: FREE - 05/06/13 03:21 PM
Listening to this as I type and and I too wish I was Free-ee.
I do like that chorus...and the solo....and the ad-libs.
Great song, I can imagine the Eagles doing that on their Desperado album.

That 69 SG on you site looks nice!

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: FREE - 05/06/13 03:32 PM
I'm with Alyn on this one - sounds very Eagles.

A nice bright, fresh mix and I really liked the "village hall" drum sound - made it sound very "live". Good vocals and harmony, catchy lyrics, what's not to like?

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: FREE - 05/06/13 08:03 PM
Herb,

Good to see ya back! Cool sound on this with some nice imagery in the lyric. The guitar lead was quite nice. And that ending was fun..

Keep 'em comin'

floyd
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FREE - 05/06/13 10:52 PM
A little about the "other non-BB tracks"...

The drums are Jamstix 3. I have had JS for years, probably the first drum VST I bought. I didn't like programming drums and JS solved that.

The bass is me playing the piano using Cakewalk Sound Center synth with a Ricko sample.

I just loved the RB/RT piano part and the B3 so I left them and IMHO they make this song what it is.

Of course I am a guitar player and while BB plays a mean guitar, I prefer to get my hands on the fret board of both the guitars and the mandolin for some live action.

I hope it's not heresy to post something like this here.... seeing how most songs here tend to be totally BB compositions.
Posted By: boehm Re: FREE - 05/06/13 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG

A nice bright, fresh mix and I really liked the "village hall" drum sound - made it sound very "live". Good vocals and harmony, catchy lyrics, what's not to like?

and good guitar.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: FREE - 05/07/13 01:08 AM
Herb,

This reminds me of The Marshall Tucker Band.

I thought your combination of realtracks with the rest of your arrangement fit perfectly. Some of us don't play for various reasons or just prefer to use all RT's. Others add their own playing. No heresy worries just whatever works for you using the pg products in there somewhere. smile

I liked everthing about this and enjoyed listening to your song very much.
Posted By: ROG Re: FREE - 05/07/13 08:14 AM
Quote:
I hope it's not heresy to post something like this here.... seeing how most songs here tend to be totally BB compositions.

Herb - Don't worry about it. The showcase is just as much for RealBand and PowerTracks as it is for Biab. They're all PG programs.

ROG.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: FREE - 05/07/13 11:01 AM
Hi Herb,

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to "Free".

What a great chorus - simple, highly memorable and incredibly effective. I had my eyes closed as I listened and when the chorus arrived, the image of a girl with outstretched arms and slowly spinning around with a gentle breeze blowing through her long blonde hair filled my mind.

I also agree with what others have already said, threads of "Eagles" music seemed to weave their way through the tapestry of these lyrics and music.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. As ROG has already indicated, this forum is for anyone who uses any PG Music product to inspire a song whether or not that inspiration made it to the final mix.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: FREE - 05/07/13 01:12 PM
+1 What they all said. Great chorus and nice imagery all the way around. Very cool outro also.

BTW No heresy at all. Other than my wife's and other's vocals I use all RealTracks even though we both played in bands for decades. Just fun and easier now days for us to use one mic and a mac.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FREE - 05/07/13 04:54 PM
Hey, Thanks everybody!

I didn't think there would be an issue, but I know many folks here use 100% BB/RB tracks and this tune only had 1 that went all the way through (Piano) and then one that was in the ending area (B3)....

But that's good to know... for future reference.

I have a few older tunes that I wrote back in the early 2000's kinda simmering on the back burner.... christian country.... so I'll probably be working them up over the next several weeks. One by one. I'll probably be using more RT in them. Love a dobro.

Noel.... I was halfway lazy when it came to the chorus.... then it hit me that I could use one word ...... and it worked.

I need to try to get here more and listen to and review other's music as well..... there are some really good things happening here. And some good writers too.

The thing about BB & RB that I absolutely love is that there's practically nothing standing now between the idea of the song in your head & heart, and getting it to a recorded form. ( but you know that too)
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: FREE - 05/07/13 08:01 PM
Herb,

I agree with others, this has a very 70's country rock thing going for it... right up my alley! grin Nice job, I enjoyed it.

I mix my guitar tracks in with RT's all the time, (sometimes more than others) and when done successfully (to me) it's what makes the tracks sound more like a band and less like (just) a backing track. cool

Greg

My Tunes:
http://achordmusic.mymusicstream.com/
Posted By: Steve Young Re: FREE - 05/07/13 08:19 PM
Herb,

I really enjoyed listening to this. All been said. Great job!

Steve
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: FREE - 05/08/13 06:37 AM
Excellent work, in every category. Lyrics are exceptional and your performance is perfect. The tracks are outstanding. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: FREE - 05/08/13 12:07 PM
I enjoyed listening to this laid back song. Well done
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: FREE - 05/09/13 12:49 AM
hi guitarhacker very clear mix great job very creative thanks for shareing eric
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FREE - 05/09/13 01:02 PM
Again... thanks for listening and commenting on the mix.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: FREE - 05/12/13 07:47 AM
I think the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bob Dylan, Willy Nelson and a few others could have had a bit of influence on this song.... but you sure rolled it all together into a very nice song of your own.

I liked the way you melded the guitar and mandolin parts. The amount of trial, error, cutting and pasting required to make something like that happen with Real Tracks is almost time prohibitive; but when you play it yourself, you can knock it out in minutes!

In 1971 that song probably would have made you rich. But now I hope it at least makes you thankful to be blessed with the wherewithal to make such enjoyable music.
© PG Music Forums