PG Music Home
CHALLENGE TO SINGERS: I think this tune deserves good lyrics, a title that fits, and a good voice. In this Forum we got plenty o' those (you know the usual suspects). Who among you is gonna do it? Note that the bridge , where the melody becomes complex and improvised (1:10-1:25), omits the vocal part and remains instrumental.

On the other hand, you may feel that this is a stand-alone tune in no need of lyrics. All comments welcome, especially the unvarnished ones.

In this post, the focus is on RT artist trumpeter Ron King, who takes a completely convincing solo on unintuitive changes. You'll understand Ron's ability better when you visit his website:

http://www.ronkingtrumpet.com/

The guy is technically all over the place on the horn and represents a real coup for PG Music.

Aleck Rand composed and arranged, plays bass and electric 12 string guitar. Jeff Lorber (electric piano) and Franklin (Third) Richardson (drums) fill out the RT artist list.

Listen to On Luna Street here: https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/luna-street
Aleck,

This DOES NOT need a singer. Because it DOES NOT need words (lyrics).

It is BEAUTIFUL. Your guitar playing is lyrical - all the lyric(ness) required. It "took me away" - completely. Beautiful. It absolutely SINGS!

The trumpet took over beautifully and added a sweet, enjoyable complexity.
First time I have heard the trumpet RTs. Impressive.

Coming out of the trumpet, I felt the guitar got "chatty" (4:00-5:20). No longer singing it's beautiful lyrics - which is what I was expecting, anticipating, hoping for - a return to that gorgeous, lyrical guitar to "take it home"... Others might feel differently.
I wanted it to transition from that cool trumpet to that warm lyrical
guitar. But... that's just my tastes... (which are a bit redneck).
I imagine there would be those would find that "the best part". Chacun à son goût...

Anyway... don't want my "personal nit" to overshadow how truly wonderful this is... I loved it. Keep it going, man!!!

floyd
Aleck, I echo Floyd's words, your melodies coupled with the tone of the guitar stands on its own. It is very visual for me setting in an easy chair overlooking a skyline at dusk.

However, as a guitarist, I like what you did in coming back in after the trumpet part. With a 6 minute song, you brought another thought into presence. Something that added another statement perhaps.

Excellent track. Keep it as it is. Vocalists are overrated. OOHHH Uh, oh! smile
Hi Aleck,

I agree with Floyd: This DOES NOT need a singer.
It is BEAUTIFUL. Your guitar playing is lyrical.
I'm overwhelmed.
And I must admit, that when listening I skip the trumpet to get
back to that wonderful guitar sound.
Showcasing the artist Aleck Rand.

Guenter

Hey Ricke

Quote:
Vocalists are overrated. OOHHH Uh, oh!

Uuhhhh ... you in trouble now brother!

Aleck
Guenter,

Herrje! I don't always get such a powerful endorsement from your sharp-eyed scrutiny. This is a real thrill! Thank you my friend.

Aleck
hi aleck great job very creative guitar work and arrangement love the bass freedom plus 10+ thanks for sharing eric
Beautiful job Aleck. I especially enjoy your guitar playing.
Aleck,

I like Pat's idea of starting a discussion about the things you said (In the "Take Me Back" thread). I, too, have thoughts about those things.

And in the "Off Topics" area, I think you would get a LOT of participation.
Peter -

Thank you so much. Lately I've been scrutinizing members' comments for possible directions to take for my next post. You mentioned - and it is a supreme compliment - enjoying my guitar playing, so that settles it. I think you're going to like the next one.

With kind regards,

Aleck
Aleck,

I'm really glad you're participating in the user showcase forum, for several reasons:

1) you are doing a SUPER job of showcasing BIABs core strengths pertaining to jazz

2) as a guitar player, I love to hear others add their own playing to BIAB compositions. You may well be the guy who stirs my interest in Jazz to the point that I explore that genre for the first time

3) you have cool ideas, and I like the way you can explain in advance what you're trying to accomplish in your songs
Very cool and convincing.

I have used the sax and trumpet as well as trombone on a few pieces in the past.

I will certainly have another look at the horns and brass RT's.

Nice work
© PG Music Forums