PG Music Home
Posted By: Bruce B Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 11:24 AM
https://soundcloud.com/bruce-boome/blues-for-jenny I've just got a new T type guitar built for my by Durban luthier Shawn O'Neill, and put together a bog standard blues backing at 65 bpm and recorded straight into BIAB.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 12:05 PM
Very nice Bruce. Is that guitar direct in? (that's what I'm guessing) I'd be interested in your signal path.

I love the sound of Blues in the morning. Sounds like....victory.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 12:44 PM
Hi Bruce,

I'm not a guitar player so I can't comment on the too much in relation to the instrument. In the regard to the music though, it was great to listen to, the sound was excellent and it seemed like you were having a whole heap of fun playing. I thought this was a very tasteful work.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: boehm Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 02:43 PM
Hi Bruce,

nice guitar.
I suggest to mute the pre-count and the noise at
the beginning and end.
Liked listening though.

Guenter
Posted By: Bruce B Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 02:43 PM
I used Pod Farm, a patch I wrote (very quickly ;-) ) using 2 emulations of Fender amps. From there I went straight into record from BIAB. There's absolutely no editing, I didn't even balance the tracks- which is unusual for someone as obsessive as I am. I then exported it as an mp3.
Posted By: Bruce B Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 02:49 PM
Thanks Guenter. I wanted to get something out quickly. There's absolutely no editing, the BIAB track took about 40 seconds to make, and I played with the track till I was comfortable with it and then recorded. All I really wanted to do was demo the guitar.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/24/13 11:00 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Bruce,

nice guitar.
I suggest to mute the pre-count and the noise at
the beginning and end.
Liked listening though.

Guenter

Ditto, nice job.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/25/13 12:17 PM
Bruce,
here are my thoughts about your song:

1) I really like the fact that the tone on your guitar is such a good match for the tone of the backing tracks guitar. This makes your part fit contextually, as though you recorded the whole song with the same guitar

2) yeah, ditch the count-in

3) The sheer abundance of instrumental blues makes it hard to present such a song in a way that stands out. Usually instrumental blues come across as a mindless jam that got thrown together in one take and without any planning. (My subjective opinion) The addition of lyrics would have made it more like a composition and less like a jam.

4) nice blues licks!
Posted By: Bruce B Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/25/13 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. @ Pat: I agree with what you wrote about mindless blues jams, and actually that's exactly what my post was ;-) I wasn't really putting it out there as a tune per se, but a demo of my new Telecaster clone. I just went through the pickup combinations and played from smooth to raging. After the recording, I thought it nice enough to please people who like blues, and in that sense I've had the feedback I wanted.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/25/13 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce B
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. @ Pat: I agree with what you wrote about mindless blues jams, and actually that's exactly what my post was ;-) I wasn't really putting it out there as a tune per se, but a demo of my new Telecaster clone. I just went through the pickup combinations and played from smooth to raging. After the recording, I thought it nice enough to please people who like blues, and in that sense I've had the feedback I wanted.

I hope my comment didn't come across as a criticism. You had prefaced your post with the information that you had recorded the song as a quick demo, and as such it works quite well. I love the sound of Fender electrics. Some day I'll have a tellie, but for today I'll take pleasure in listening to yours.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/25/13 10:20 PM
What they all said and....

1. I love blues guitar and really enjoyed your licks -- a lot.

2. Janice's nickname is Jenny and she love's to sing the blues!

Thanks for the demo. Good stuff.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Blues For Jenny - 05/26/13 03:12 AM
Nice playing!
© PG Music Forums