PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker FLY - 06/03/13 05:46 PM
I wrote this song for my daughters..... both of which are moving into new area's in their lives. One is in college and one is getting married in less than 2 weeks.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12350209

It's a father's advice to them both.

I was going to unveil this at the wedding..... but my daughter heard it and said to me..... This is beautiful but please don't play this at the wedding. I will be a basket case if you do, with all the emotion already on that day....

So, have a listen and enjoy this song.

Details:

5 vocal tracks
5 live acoustic tracks
1 mandolin track live

Bass, drums, steel, fiddle, piano, B3 are BB/RT
Posted By: George Nelson Re: FLY - 06/03/13 06:06 PM
Hi Herb,

This is a magnificent song.
I too have girls that moved on and I fully understand your lyrics.

Just brilliant.

Regards
George
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/03/13 06:21 PM
Thanks George.

The other side of the story here is that I had a very hard time writing this. I had to stop and leave the room many times .... I kept choking up as I was writing.

Raising girls is a very special thing.
Posted By: dcuny Re: FLY - 06/03/13 07:22 PM
I had a listen, and enjoyed!

Thanks for posting it!
Posted By: boehm Re: FLY - 06/03/13 11:20 PM
Hi Herb,

your daughters must love this song.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: FLY - 06/04/13 02:47 AM
Herb this is so pretty. I especially liked the chorus and the line "God's still big when you feel small".

Wonderful message from dad to daughters.
Posted By: dani48 Re: FLY - 06/04/13 09:17 AM
Hi, Herb !:)

I too have two lovely daughters,
Danita and Daniela, and I must say
I enjoyed your tune very much ! All the
best to both of your daughters from me

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: FLY - 06/04/13 09:39 AM
Herb,

you have exactly the right voice and talent to pull that song off! Many other people (including me) could play all the same chords , use all the same real tracks etc, but it just wouldn't be as good.

The song is a wonderful fatherly sentiment, but based on the things you say in it, I have a feeling that you have already spent the last 20 or so years writing the same song in their hearts by your example.

Good job, Dad. Thet are as blessed by you as you are by them.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/05/13 12:53 AM
Thank you all....

the line God's still big when you feel small was not the first line in that position in the chorus, but the other one was so cliche it had to go.... and this was the replacement.

Glad you liked it.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: FLY - 06/05/13 01:06 AM
Wonderful!

I am listening for the 3rd time.

Later,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: FLY - 06/05/13 08:42 AM
Hi Herb,

Quite honestly, this is outstanding in every regard. The writing is excellent, the arrangement is top shelf, your performance defines the word "professional", and the production is brilliant. Very impressive!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/05/13 11:44 AM
Danny C: thank you, it is downloadable should you wish to have a copy for your personal music collection.

Noel: Thank you for your words. I appreciate the time you take to listen...as well as everyone else.... thanks
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: FLY - 06/05/13 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Thank you all....

the line God's still big when you feel small was not the first line in that position in the chorus, but the other one was so cliche it had to go.... and this was the replacement.

Glad you liked it.

Really nice tune and production. I also noticed the cool line referenced above. Letting something go because of a cliche nature or because of rhyme issues (and other reasons) is something I'm learning and something that Floyd has been patient enough to help me with. I can spend the time it probably takes some folks to write entire song trying to make something work that oughta be tossed.

Pardon the ramble, I really enjoyed the listen! I suspect that your daughter's reaction gave you all the feedback you needed about this song.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/05/13 08:22 PM
Thanks Janice & Bud....

One of the hardest things is to let go of a line that you think is really good, but just doesn't work to find a line that does work.

Writing is easy (relatively speaking).. it's the rewriting to make it better that is the hard part. The willingness to scrap entire lines and verses and even choruses searching for the line, or word or entire section of a song that makes it work like it was intended.

Feel free to ramble.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: FLY - 06/09/13 02:02 PM
hi guitarhacker well done all the way around words plus +10 thanks eric
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/10/13 12:26 AM
Thanks FMM. I'm glad you listened and liked it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: FLY - 06/10/13 01:59 PM
Herb,
Your vocals are always a good listen. The acoustic lead is a nice addition and the mirrored mandolin lead as well. You tucked that steel in there nicely, too. - floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: FLY - 06/11/13 08:16 AM
Beautiful lyrics and production. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/11/13 12:42 PM
Floyd and PgFantastic... thanks for listening.
Posted By: TexasHeartRush Re: FLY - 06/11/13 01:34 PM
Hey Herb! Well done and genuine. You have a real organicness about your voice. Willie-ish... which is cool. Must be hard watching your angels fly. I couldn't think of myself! Cheers!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: FLY - 06/11/13 05:07 PM
Texas.... yep... it will be an emotional day on Saturday. My future SIL is from Dallas.... fortunately, he's not too interested in living in the Lone Star State.

Organicness.... now that... is an interesting word. I like it. I have admired how Willie phrases his lyrics.... and I guess through all the years of playing in country bands for a living, some of that either wore off or soaked in.....

Thanks
© PG Music Forums