PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/13/13 05:23 PM
This is a co-write with the Merritts - Janice and Bud. The whole experience has been a hoot.

Hopefully, you heard Janice and Bud's version within the last week or so.
It is beautifully done. Bud's production is a thing of beauty - simple and elegant - utilizing an acoustic guitar, a mandolin, a fiddle and a cello. Janice's vocal is even more of a thing of beauty - hard for me to even describe - you've got to hear it to understand. The combination presents the song as a heart-felt, heartbreaking look at a possible love slipping away. If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and go listen - it should be just a few entries down the page...

The interesting thing about this is that while they were working on their version/production, I was working on mine. What comes out of that is a look at how the interpretation of a song can vary greatly from singer to singer or production to production. It's like two different songs - completely different (a cool thing, I think...)

Also, how well BIAB provides for whatever your vision might be.

This version is all guitars - a lot of them - (they don't necessarily all play at the same time). And where the singer in the "Merritt version" was "contemplative" the singer here is almost "attitudinal".

Hope you enjoy the "look from the other side".....

TRYIN'

Here are the RealTracks:

RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1849:Bass, Electric, ModernCountrySync Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 633:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 861:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockWaltzSustainHeld Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 805:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev 065 (B:held)
RealTracks in song: 630:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanDirty Ev 120 (A:arp)
RealTracks in song: 1762:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsArp Ev16 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I added an acoustic (hey, it needed another guitar!) and did the vocals (duh).

Comments encouraged.

floyd
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/13/13 05:45 PM
There ya go Aleck...take the chords and make a jazz version
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/13/13 06:39 PM
Hey Floyd,

Very cool to hear both versions.

The backing tracks, production, vocals, etc all sound excellent as usual.

But if I had to pick... I think I prefer Janice's more laid back (like warm honey) version. grin There's just something about her voice! wink

No offense,

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/13/13 09:06 PM
Hi Floyd,

Right at this moment, I'm sitting here listening to you sing. The arrangement, production and mix are fantastic. This is as professional as anything I've ever heard from anyone, anywhere. In addition, your performance is the definition of "quality".

I have to say that I really like what you've brought to the song. It's very different from what Janice and Bud created. To my mind, that shows just how versatile and how well written this song is. The song is a credit to all involved.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 02:15 AM
Noel,

Ya did good, very good!

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 04:21 AM
I must be musically fickle. When I listen to your version I think "Oh YEAH, this is the better version"

But then I go back and listen to Bud and Janice's version and think "no wait.. I think THIS 'un is better..."

back and forth over and over again, always liking the one I'm listening to at the moment. Truth is, they're BOTH quite good.

And It really *IS* interesting to note how the same song can take on a completely different mood at the hand of another artist!

Congrats to all involved. I'll probably never be able to do what any of you do so easily, but it sure is fun listening to it!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 10:26 AM
I liked both versions. I'd like to hear one with you guys trading verses, then singing a duet in the chorus.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 12:54 PM
Hi Floyd,

Originally Posted By: Noel96
I have to say that I really like what you've brought to the song. It's very different from what Janice and Bud created. To my mind, that shows just how versatile and how well written this song is. The song is a credit to all involved.

I like both versions, but my personal taste is prone to yours.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 07:02 PM
Greg - thanks for the listen. I've listened to Janice sing this song 50 times (at least). It is a thing of beauty...

Noel - you're makin' me blush, there, buddy...

Danny - if you thought we were Noel, you hit the wrong thread... but thanks for dropping by, regardless...

Pat - kinda cool, don't ya think?... that you can't decide...

Bob - thanks - we are actually working at trying to get a duet of something else...

Guenter - appreciate that. Seems like it fairly balanced - which is nice...
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/14/13 07:08 PM
Hi Floyd.
I really like both versions. They both bring something different to the table. Isn't it amazing what a another person's take on a song can do?
Wonderful stuff!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/15/13 10:34 AM
Sounds mighty good to me -- pro all the way. I listened to Janice and Bud's a week ago or so and now I have forgotten how theirs goes (I remember loving it though). I am not going to compare the two versions, though. I think I'll just enjoy them.

You need to try and hook up with some up and coming artists in your area and help them become better writers. Folks could a lot from your approach to writing and arranging.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/16/13 05:21 PM
Joanne - thanks for the listen - and the kind words.

Kevin - appreciate the sentiment... thanks. (I'm kinda busy, though..lol)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/18/13 06:03 PM
"Tryin'" has been an exceptionally positive experience for Janice and me. Having our original shell of a song transformed by Floyd into a fine tune and one that can be interpreted in two such different manners has, in itself, taught me a lot about song writing

Floyd gets a lot of well deserved kudos for his songwriting and productions. I'd like to add some for his singing. I think his "attitudinal" vocal on this production is simply outstanding.

Maybe he and Janice need to do a duet wink
Posted By: Sundance Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/19/13 12:51 AM
Well Floyd, what can I say - you're trying. LOL!

Seriously, I loved the production and the attention to detail in the arrangement. Strong vocal too. IMO, it's your best sounding mix so far on here.
Posted By: FLCntryGuy Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/19/13 01:13 AM
Floyd, as a kinda newbee, I like the strength in your vocals. I could find Bud and Janice's version, so As I listen to yours, I'm left with the understanding of how hard life can be.

Thanks sir!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/21/13 07:33 PM
Hello, Floyd !

I just loved everything about
this performance. You have a very
nice and strong voice that fits superbly
to this kind of songs !:)

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/21/13 11:42 PM
Floyd, it’s all been said, super vocal and pro mix.

I like both versions equally!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/22/13 01:56 PM
Bud - aw shucks... thanks for letting me be a part of this.

Josie - Thanks for that...

Jim - appreciate the listen

Dani - Thanks for the kind words.

Mario - appreciate you droppin' by for a listen...
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/22/13 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
There ya go Aleck...take the chords and make a jazz version

Floyd makes all songs his own, with that one-of-a-kind instrument he's got: his voice. But Pat, taking a country song and turning it into jazz is virtually impossible.

Country evolved to work with a very small number of chords. To make it interesting, entire techniques and even new instruments, e.g., pedal steel, were introduced. And then there's chops. If you are unfamiliar with the guy in the link below, you better sit down even if you're not on heart medication. In fact, I hope everyone reading goes to this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkU3sBP8Pg

The urge to grow led jazz in a different direction altogether: toward increasingly greater harmonic sophistication: zillions of chords (maybe more!!).

But any jazz player who ever scoffed at country guitar - Yuk! All they got is them 3 lousy chords!* - won't do it again.

Aleck

*Question: What do you get when you play a country song backwards? Answer: Ya getcha truck back, ya getcha dawg back, ya getcha wife back, ...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/22/13 09:53 PM
Y'all need to get a room....
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/23/13 03:32 PM
Careful pal,

I might just write "Blues for Floyd" and it will sound something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhxc3OCBjc

Aleck
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Tryin' ---- the "guy version"... - 06/24/13 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Maybe he and Janice need to do a duet wink

I was thinking the same thing. One vocal attribute they both share is a very laid-back, un-rushed and totally natural presentation. I would like to hear that combination in a good ol' down home story tellin' song, with dialogue between two equally believable and equally likable characters.

Ideally it would be about a topic everybody identifies with, but from differing vantage points. Floyd would sing from one vantage point and Janice from another. Maybe politics or religion or finances or how to raise the young 'uns. You know, they things that either drive a couple apart or draw them together.

In this case, in order to make it interesting there would need to be conflict.. so it would have to be about something that is driving them apart They might both see a solution but it obviously could never work for the other person... therein lies the pathos that makes the audience participate by trying to think up a solution that would fix the problem and restore happiness.

It would be interesting at the end of the song to see if any of us held a different opinion than we held going in.

Or not.

I'm just makin' stuff up because it amuses me to do so.
But I WOULD like to hear a vocal collab between these two singers
© PG Music Forums