PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Surfing in NY - 07/03/13 11:44 PM
Surfing in NY

Surfs up in Upper Western NY! Of course the waves on the Erie Canal aren’t much to look at much less to try and surf in. However there is some surfing in Lake Ontario and in fact there is a surfing club in Rochester NY.

Based on another thread that talked about surf music it dawned on me that I had not played a surf song in years. So I thought I would give it a try again.

I used BiaB style CC_Hive-Ev. 8th Alt. Rock Gru for this song.

I deleted all but the drums, which I heavily modified to better fit the song. I am playing the bass, rhythm and lead guitars and the farfisa organ. The Farfisa organ is a free VSTi that I found. I played it via my MIDI keyboard controller.

I tried to make this sound like a live recording. The lead guitarist is using the normal ‘lots of reverb’ sound that was popular in the mid 60’s.

Let me know what you think.
Posted By: joden Re: Surfing in NY - 07/04/13 01:02 AM
Terrific tune Mario smile Only comment from me is there is a tad too much rev over the whole track..it is good on the lead guitar, but for my taste it would be better to be pulled back on the rest, drums rhythm guitar and bass. That way the main lead is a standout.

Still a great listen over morning coffee - good job. Wish I could play guitar an bass (real ones I mean wink )

Dennis
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Surfing in NY - 07/04/13 10:42 AM
Tubeular tune, brah. Gnarly guitar there. Totally stoked dude.

Regards,

Haole
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Surfing in NY - 07/04/13 11:49 AM
coupla thoughts:

1) the reverb reminded me of playing in a high school gymnasium. I know that sound!

2) I was afraid you wern't going to use the whammy bar, but about halfway through I got my wish

3) you sure managed to squeeze in many of the period's cliches

I bet a set of Ventures songs would go over quite well at old car shows and other places where retired boomers would be in the majority. Its fun music to hear, and it takes you right back there in a heartbeat.

Fun listen Mario! Thanks!
Posted By: boehm Re: Surfing in NY - 07/04/13 02:27 PM
Hi Mario,

"I tried to make this sound like a live recording."
Mission accomplished. But recording techniques have changed since then. It would be good for the song not to use so much reverb over all.
I liked it though. That shows how old I am.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Surfing in NY - 07/05/13 12:31 PM
Mario -

You captured the style/sound perfectly. And the "live vibe" you were after.

The energy builds through the song. (cool drums, too) Enjoyed it.

floyd
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Surfing in NY - 07/05/13 04:00 PM
Hi Mario
I enjoyed it and I think the reverb adds something to the whole atmosphere of the song.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Surfing in NY - 07/05/13 05:41 PM
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Surfing in NY - 07/05/13 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!

that's why I never learned to dance too! We must have lived parallel lives, Mario! The same vacations, the same kinds of gigs, the same taste in music...

Regarding the reverb, I understand exactly what you were trying to replicate, and it worked for me! I would have pursued the same goal in the same way.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Surfing in NY - 07/05/13 11:20 PM
I was there -- in high school during the early 60's. I was a surf music nut complete with bleached hair and a board. But then the Beatles changed all that....

The reverb was part of the scene from the amps to the halls it was reverb everywhere. this tune is super cool -- everything about it. And, hey, a band I worked with had a Farfisa along with about every local band we ran into. Paul Revere and the Raiders sure sold a lot of those!

Great production, picking and summer time vibe. Thanks!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Surfing in NY - 07/06/13 12:41 AM
Thanx Janice and/or Bud for the extremely kind review!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Surfing in NY - 07/06/13 12:45 AM
Pat, if DannyC, my twin from another mother forum member who is so like me or maybe I’m so like him-don’t know which way it is, comes in and says the same thing then we may be triplets from different mothers!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Surfing in NY - 07/06/13 01:47 AM
Great and cool drums too.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Surfing in NY - 07/06/13 07:44 AM
Hey Mario,

From the first note, I felt like I'd stepped into a time machine. You've captured so many of the musical motifs of the era that 60s memorabilia swam around inside my head. I think that that means that your song did its job remarkably well.

Loved it!

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums