PG Music Home
Posted By: joden My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 08:31 PM
Hi all, here is my first country tune..

https://soundcloud.com/miden-entertainment/on-our-own

As always, thanks for listening smile

Dennis
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 09:22 PM
listener request:

add the lyrics and a little about how the song was constructed, including anything you may have played, real tracks used, style used, midi instruments, synth used, day of the week it was recorded on, the name of your dog, your favorite color, your mother's maiden name etc

You know the drill

wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 09:29 PM
Ditto to what Pat said...
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 09:42 PM
no disrespect or offence meant, truly...but why?

And in any case Pat, I thought you couldn't listen to them anyway, with your browser or whatever it was that was causing the problem...did you sort it out? I did ask you on the other thread but you missed it or forgot to reply or something??

Okay (and I would still like to know why it is important to insert this info wink ) here is some further data:

BIAB Style _BRSOLC2 - all real drums and real tracks - Drums, Bass and Guitar, piano part is me, vocals is me.

Dennis
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:32 PM
Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:35 PM
I had a little difficulty making out some of the lyrics.
But if you don't want to post them, no big deal.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:38 PM
Hi Dennis,

Congratulations on writing a country song smile Doesn't BIAB make songwriting in different genres so easy! Quite honestly, if it wasn't for PG Music, I'd still be stuck in ballads circa 1970.

I really liked this - great driving beat and a liberally applied touch of good old fashioned style rhythm 'n' blues in the backing and melody. You're arrangement is first class! It's easy to hear that you're a man who knows his music.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:47 PM
Thanks Noel smile It's nice to have people enjoying the tunes unconditionally wink

Dennis

PS: Yes I agree BIAB is such a great tool for writing songs. These tunes would not have seen the light of day, albeit only as demos, if not for BIAB.

Aces!!
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I had a little difficulty making out some of the lyrics.
But if you don't want to post them, no big deal.

Posted By: Kemmrich Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 10:58 PM
Enunciation and diction are super important in country since it is a more "lyric" oriented genre. The music and melody are pretty good. Good job on your first country song.

Here are the instructions at the top of the Forum section:

Quote:
With the posts, please provide:
Link to the song (it is not hosted on our site, it is hosted on your site).
Title and background information about the song.
Indicate which tracks were recorded by you, and which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used. (tip: In Band-in-a-Box, the Song Memo contains the names of the RealTracks used, and you can copy/paste from that.)
List other programs used in the production (Sonar, Cubase etc.)
Describe what effects were used in the production (reverb, auto-tune etc).

The User Showcase is to enjoy others' BIAB creations, but also to learn how folks are using the program to create original tunes. That's the only reason Pat asked for that, ne need to jump all over him.

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: joden

And in any case Pat, I thought you couldn't listen to them anyway, with your browser or whatever it was that was causing the problem...did you sort it out? I did ask you on the other thread but you missed it or forgot to reply or something??

Okay (and I would still like to know why it is important to insert this info wink ) here is some further data:

BIAB Style _BRSOLC2 - all real drums and real tracks - Drums, Bass and Guitar, piano part is me, vocals is me.

Dennis

I did reply to your previous query, but not with a new post, I added a post script to my original post saying that I was finally able to listen.

and regarding the question of why to add all that stuff (minus the obviously goofy things like name of dog and mom's maiden name) forum guidelines issued by Peter Gannon suggest doing that, And we've become accustomed to seeing it. I wasn't trying to be difficult, honest.. I was just requesting more info because I was interested. Thats a GOOD thing, right?

wink
edit----
kevin, you must have been typing at the same time I was! only your answer was better. Thanks!
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Enunciation and diction are super important in country since it is a more "lyric" oriented genre. The music and melody are pretty good. Good job on your first country song.

The User Showcase is to enjoy others' BIAB creations, but also to learn how folks are using the program to create original tunes. That's the only reason Pat asked for that, ne need to jump all over him.

Thanks for the song comment but as for the rest, sorry but I didn't jump all over anyone...I DID preface it by saying no disrespect and no offence...and with a smiley too...
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

I did reply to your previous query, but not with a new post, I added a post script to my original post saying that I was finally able to listen.

and regarding the question of why to add all that stuff (minus the obviously goofy things like name of dog and mom's maiden name) forum guidelines issued by Peter Gannon suggest doing that, And we've become accustomed to seeing it. I wasn't trying to be difficult, honest.. I was just requesting more info because I was interested. Thats a GOOD thing, right?

wink
edit----
kevin, you must have been typing at the same time I was! only your answer was better. Thanks!

I agree Pat, no problems. It is just not something I normally would do. I just assumed it did not really matter all that much.

I certainly hope you DON'T think "Kevins" post is better when he asserts "I jumped all over you??"
I did preface the quesdtion with a no offence/disrespect comment, which was sincere. I am sorry you seem to have taken it the wrong way and not in the spirit in which it was meant.

Dennis

PS: Sorry about missing the postscript on the other thread, I was sort of anticipating a reply directly under my post in which I posed the question.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 11:32 PM
Quote:
I certainly hope you DON'T think "Kevins" post is better when he asserts "I jumped all over you??"

no, I meant his post was better than mine because he actually posted the forum header instead of paraphrasing it as I did. It was simply a more powerful way to make the point. But then, that's what song writers are really GOOD at... making powerful points with words

Quote:
I did preface the question with a no offence/disrespect comment, which was sincere. I am sorry you seem to have taken it the wrong way and not in the spirit in which it was meant.

actually, I didn't take offense at all... I took what you said pretty much exactly as you have reiterated here. No problems at all. Unless I can see a reason why somebody might feel the need for confrontation, it is my nature to presume there is no confrontation intended.

And, no problem regarding the other post... I figure you probably didn't get around to seeing that I had already replied yet, but that you would eventually see it and all would make sense.

so, no worries on this end. Apologies if any of my replies were stated awkwardly enough to be ambiguous. I try to keep that from happening, but not very well it seems.

wink

Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/07/13 11:51 PM
Cool Pat, I am relieved no offence was taken smile fwiw, I really dislike confrontation as well. I won't walk away if I have been slighted, but I ALWAYS try to avoid it.

I probs should couch questions in a less direct manner..face to face it is not problem but in text it is so much more difficult.

And re Kevins post, sure I get that too as in what he WAS trying to do) smile I just felt he was actually jumping on me...probably an incorrect assumption on my part as well blush

Okay all good now - group hug smile

Dennis
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 12:20 AM
Hi again, Dennis!

I just popped in for another listen. I'm still liking your song a great deal and I'm still convinced you're a very competent musician wink

I hope you don't mind but I received a bit of a surprise after reading through the above exchange of comments and I couldn't leave without adding a few thoughts. My feelings were that for someone who is pretty much a brand new song poster on this forum, you're being given a bit of a hard time.

I'm on your side. For what it's worth, I did not read you as "jumping" over anyone. To me, your post sounded polite and sincere. I'm a bit bamboozled as to how it's been interpreted it any other way.

I've seen it happen before, though. Because writing lacks the tone of speech, every once in a while, things get taken the wrong way.

• I have to confess. That happened to me just a couple of days ago! A good friend, and someone I respect a great deal in this forum, posted a comment directed at me that I read completely out of context. I was tired and could not see past my initial interpretation of what I'd read! I felt like an idiot afterwards when I realised I'd jumped off the deep end for no reason. Luckily this friend is very understanding *phew*! LOL!!! Oh well, the positive side is that it's good to know I still need to learn a few things in Life. Just when I thought I was on top of all that, too ...

Back to my thoughts ...

I never used to post lyrics to my songs. Then, one day, it occurred to me that by posting my lyrics, a few things happen.

• My lyrics are time-stamped by the forum software and, as such, another aspect of copyright protection is added.
  • Google indexes my lyrics. This allows people to check the work of others to see if they are infringing any aspect of copyright. For example, if you put "dancing and dreaming in gentle arms" into Google, the latest song I've posted here is at the top of the search results. That link will then lead the researcher to my audio recording. They can then compare what they hear with the work of others. With an audio recording alone, it's more complicated to find via a simple search. (Because I'm a school teacher, I'm always using Google to double-check whether students have copied and pasted from the internet as a shortcut on assignments.)
  • People from all the countries around the world might not understand every word I'm singing (that good ole Aussie accent doesn't work for everyone!). Having the lyrics helps them out.

These are simply my thoughts. I just wanted to share them for what they're worth. Please feel free to ignore them completely.

My main reason for writing this post is to say that I sincerely hope you are not discouraged from posting more songs. After listening to "On Our Own" for the 5th time, I have the feeling that I, and others, are going to learn a lot from hearing your work smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:12 AM
Quote:
...no disrespect or offence meant, truly...but why?

...And in any case ..., I thought you couldn't listen to them anyway, ...

...and I would still like to know why it is important to insert this info...

...It's nice to have people enjoying the tunes unconditionally...

It is what it is. It just seemed that you were mildly upset that the background info was being asked for (and PG Music wants us to include that info). If you weren't, then that is great.
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:28 AM
With respect Kevin, you should really put in the FULL sentences of what I said, not remove bits to make it suit your original post.

Removing the rest of the sentences does make them appear to be the way you suggested, however, below are the exact words used in reply to Pat which, imho, paint an entirely different picture (and even Pat acknowledged no offence taken) :

Okay (and I would still like to know why it is important to insert this info ) here is some further info.

And your other line from a later post re an unconditional listen is not really directed at anyone, just I appreciated the unqualified words of encouragement Noel gave me. So why you have included it in your return post above is beyond me.

Fairs fair after all.

However if you are prepared to move on then I am too smile

Thanks

Dennis
Posted By: boehm Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:28 AM
Hi Dennis,

you shouldn't be mad about Pat. I was very amused about his comment. Didn't you see his ;-) at the end?

Guenter
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:31 AM
Thanks Guenter and I have a feeling your heart is in the right place smile , but Pat and I are fine now afaik smile and I was never mad, angry, upset, p@%sed off, nothing.

It was merely a question, that has been answered and I now see why the info is nice to put in.

So did you like the song wink

D

Posted By: boehm Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:37 AM
Hi Dennis,

I'm sorry I forgot in the rush: Yes, I did.

Guenter
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:38 AM
laugh it's cool bud, thanks smile I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Dennis
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:40 AM
Quote:
With respect Kevin, you should really put in the FULL sentences of what I said, not remove bits to make it suit your original post.

We are probably spending too much time on this minor stuff -- but I presented your quotes as I read them in context. If I didn't read them in that context, I wouldn't have posted them as such. It is no big deal -- you said you weren't upset and were merely asking for clarification. I believe you.
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:42 AM
Okay Kevin all good smile

Time to move on - nothing more to see here folks smile

Dennis
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi again, Dennis!

I just popped in for another listen. I'm still liking your song a great deal and I'm still convinced you're a very competent musician wink

I hope you don't mind but I received a bit of a surprise after reading through the above exchange of comments and I couldn't leave without adding a few thoughts. My feelings were that for someone who is pretty much a brand new song poster on this forum, you're being given a bit of a hard time.

I'm on your side. For what it's worth, I did not read you as "jumping" over anyone. To me, your post sounded polite and sincere. I'm a bit bamboozled as to how it's been interpreted it any other way.

I've seen it happen before, though. Because writing lacks the tone of speech, every once in a while, things get taken the wrong way.

• I have to confess. That happened to me just a couple of days ago! A good friend, and someone I respect a great deal in this forum, posted a comment directed at me that I read completely out of context. I was tired and could not see past my initial interpretation of what I'd read! I felt like an idiot afterwards when I realised I'd jumped off the deep end for no reason. Luckily this friend is very understanding *phew*! LOL!!! Oh well, the positive side is that it's good to know I still need to learn a few things in Life. Just when I thought I was on top of all that, too ...

Back to my thoughts ...

I never used to post lyrics to my songs. Then, one day, it occurred to me that by posting my lyrics, a few things happen.

• My lyrics are time-stamped by the forum software and, as such, another aspect of copyright protection is added.
  • Google indexes my lyrics. This allows people to check the work of others to see if they are infringing any aspect of copyright. For example, if you put "dancing and dreaming in gentle arms" into Google, the latest song I've posted here is at the top of the search results. That link will then lead the researcher to my audio recording. They can then compare what they hear with the work of others. With an audio recording alone, it's more complicated to find via a simple search. (Because I'm a school teacher, I'm always using Google to double-check whether students have copied and pasted from the internet as a shortcut on assignments.)
  • People from all the countries around the world might not understand every word I'm singing (that good ole Aussie accent doesn't work for everyone!). Having the lyrics helps them out.

These are simply my thoughts. I just wanted to share them for what they're worth. Please feel free to ignore them completely.

My main reason for writing this post is to say that I sincerely hope you are not discouraged from posting more songs. After listening to "On Our Own" for the 5th time, I have the feeling that I, and others, are going to learn a lot from hearing your work smile

All the best,
Noel

And Noel thanks heaps for your support - greatly appreciated m8 smile

And your words of advice are well met (as were Pats) and all has been taken on board rest assured so to speak.

Cheers

Dennis
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 02:02 AM
I almost forgot to comment on the song itself!

First of all I like it.. it has a real "Dire Straits meets the Rolling Stones" vibe going. Are you Australian by any chance?

The music is where the Stones reference comes from, so I'm wondering if its your voice that makes my mind think of Dire Straits when I listen to the song

Country is not my genre, so I'm not the guy to offer edge-cutting observations from a technical point of view. But I can speak for what I LIKE, and it sounds good to me!

Keep 'em coming!
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 02:16 AM
Thank you Pat.

You are spot-on with the Dire Straits/Stones reference. Mark Knopfler is one of my favs.

And laugh yep true blue Aussie!

Understand re the comment on critique for country. It sounds so easy to write a country tune, but it is actually quite difficult, well for me anyway. So those folks here are everywhere else who do it I salute you. It is a tough genre!!

Cheers
Dennis
Posted By: gibson Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 06:45 AM
I too see the Dire Straits connection. An enjoyable song.

As a quick aside I had a quick chat with Terry Williams, ex drummer of Dire Straits, at a recent funeral. He is not a well man sadly.

Keep them coming!

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My first country tune.. - 07/08/13 10:01 PM
Nice! And I see I got beat regarding the Knopfler analogy (one of my favorites) Thanks for posting.
Posted By: joden Re: My first country tune.. - 07/12/13 04:44 AM
Thanks Alyn and J+B smile Sorry I have not replied sooner, I have been away.

Dennis
Posted By: dcuny Re: My first country tune.. - 07/12/13 07:00 PM
Vocals (as noted) are a bit muddy, but an enjoyable song. Nice piano parts.
Posted By: MarioD Re: My first country tune.. - 07/12/13 08:47 PM
I'm late to the party but I'm glad I came!

This is a very good song. I would clean up the muddy vocals a bit and bring them more up front. I think that would take it over the top IMHO.
© PG Music Forums