PG Music Home
Posted By: alfstone To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 11:14 AM
My first composition using BIAB.

https://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra/to-go-that-extra-mile

Enjoy!

Alfredo
Posted By: 90 dB Re: To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 02:15 PM
Alfredo-

Beautiful stuff. Great changes, and performance. Very intimate.

More please.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 02:31 PM
alfredo,

First of all, welcome to the forum! I just LOVE this chord progression! It's really well-suited to the style used in your production. And the song actually has a melody, and the accompanying lyics are a very good match for the mood of the song.

Would you be willing to post a little about how you set this song up? Style used in BIAB? Other RT added in Real Band? Plugins used?

Anyway,very nice introductory song! Thanks for posting, and again, welcome to the forum!
Posted By: seeker Re: To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 05:17 PM
alfredo,

Enjoyed your music so much. Wonderful gentle love song.
Enjoy your vocal style with this music you created.
Lyrics deliver very nice story, the last line...BAMN....

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: boehm Re: To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 08:31 PM
Hi Alfredo,

nice song, good chord progression.
Very enjoyable all over.
Welcome to the forum.

Guenter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: To go that extra mile - 07/09/13 10:04 PM
Hi Alfredo and James,

This is excellent and a credit to your abilities. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. The musical and lyrical journey was a pleasure. As seeker has said, that last line is an awesome lyrical payoff!

A+ enjoyable!

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I'm listening to "Hard Times" while I'm typing. EXCELLENT! I bet Stephen Foster would be proud of that version.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: To go that extra mile - 07/10/13 02:08 AM
Great story, also loved the changes and topped off by a strong although very intimate performance.

While this may be your 1st composition with BIAB there is no doubt in my mind I am hearing a pro here, not a musical novice in any why shape or form.

Welcome to the forum Alfredo.

Later,
Posted By: ROG Re: To go that extra mile - 07/10/13 08:29 AM
Hi Alfredo and James,

Like Danny says, this may be your first post on the forum, but the track screams out experienced professionals.

Beautiful song, well produced and with super vocals.

Welcome to the forum.

ROG.
Posted By: alfstone Re: To go that extra mile - 07/10/13 09:06 AM
Thanks, many thanks everybody, you all are very kind!

Trying to answer to all of you:

- to Pat Marr:

here are the details of BIAB settings for this song: it's quite difficult that I use a style "as it is", since i prefer to try mixing different instruments styles until I'm satisfied with the whole thing. So, in this song (apart from the guitar, that I play) the bass is 1386 Bass Jazz Acoustic ballad SW085; the piano is a SuperMidi Track for 2056 Piano RhythmCeltic Air ev085; and for the Cello I've used 1856 Cello Background PopCountry Ev 85; PlugIns: Izotope Alloy patches for Bass and Cello; EzMix for Piano. I use to mix everything with Adobe Audition, and for "spicing up" the final mix I use Izotope Ozone 5.

Credits for the melody line, lyrics and vocals go to James Higgins, I've just composed the backing track, then, as usual, he adds the voice. Since I'm Italian, there's of course no possibility at all for me to compose such beautiful lyrics in a different language. James lives in Scotland, and we met on the internet some years ago on the great music web site SongCrafters: James and me have never met, but we enjoy playing "together" this strange way.

- to all of you who appreciated the lyrics, the voice and particularly the final verse:

please clap your hands to James. He deserves it!

- to Noel96:

thanks for you kind words about "Hard Times"! On my Soundcloud for several of the songs I've used BIAB, but I've never posted anything here, since I understand that posting covers here is not allowed. On Hard Times, for the solo instruments I've used a Godin Freeway SA Midi guitar to obtain the sounds of uillean pipes and whistles (VST instruments)

- to DannyC and ROG:

thanks, but both me and James are absolutely not professional musicians. I'm an 58 yo family doctor, he works in the Health Service in Scotland.

Again, thanks everybody, and please excuse my English...

Alfredo
Posted By: Noel96 Re: To go that extra mile - 07/10/13 09:11 AM
Alfredo,

There's nothing wrong with posting arrangements of works that are in the public domain and free of copyright restrictions (such as the Stephen Forster song, "Hard Times"). That rule in the forum guidelines is simply to stop people posting songs still covered by copyright.

You should definitely post a "Hard Times" here. It's great!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: To go that extra mile - 07/14/13 05:15 AM
Quote:
Beautiful stuff. Great changes, and performance. Very intimate.

+1 And wonderful lyrics. I'm going to confess that I did get a little bored with the really long music break(bridge) - short attention span here. smile Just me not a big deal.

Loved it. Well done.
© PG Music Forums