PG Music Home
Posted By: gibson Come back with me (repost) - 07/10/13 05:27 PM
This is my tribute to Steely Dan which I wrote in 1973/4 having heard their early albums.This is no where like the live version we used to "play" in the Band I was in then! partly because I can play guitar now, some opinions may vary!THe Band always played it last, on request, as it cleared the venue like magic LOL
I think I have removed the artifacts heard last time, sounds OK on my system.

Come back with me

there's a place I know
I have bin there
in my dre-eams
to describe in words
is impossible
I kno-ow

listen to me
the sun is rising hi-igh
no tomorrow
the week is all toda-ay
you can find it
come back with me
la la la la la
oh come back with me
please come back with me

smile a while and see
ooh it's a good trip
you will see-ee
worldly holdings fall
need no money
just bring yourse-elf

you can take it
don't even start to try-iy
but you can make it
as long as there's a smi-ile
then there is love
come back with me come back with me
la la la la la
come back with me
oh please come back with me

SOLO

I won't take you
if you don't want to go-o
'cos your the 1st one
I really want to kno-ow
now there is love
come back with me
la la la la la
oh come back with me
please come back with me

RealTracks in style: ~~921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in song: ~923:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaFreeComp Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaGrooveComp Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~~925:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 708:Guitar, Nylon-Elec, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: BossaBrushes#1: a: Brushes b: BusyBrushes
RealTracks in song: ~~896:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev 100
RealDrums in style: BossaTerryClarke^4-a:Brushes, Busy , b:Shaker

I sampled the brush hit and added it in a few places to liven things up!Same with another RealDrum sample, forget which, in the solo. I used the Chord track for the arpeggiated sounds using Plex free and Proteus VX free. Extra bass notes courtesy of UVI workstation free.
I played some rhythm guitar and the solo which was the 1st and only take, after a few dry runs.
I was a Dental student in London and this song is about the competition we, the lads, had to see how many nurses, in a 15 week term, we could get back to our rooms for *cough* coffee whistle and it usually WAS coffee cry
Posted By: gruverider Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/10/13 09:27 PM
I'm glad you told the background story. It grounded the song for me in a way that made it more personal. (and made me smile about the coffee). Thanks for posting
Posted By: gibson Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/11/13 06:45 AM
Thanks,
All my songs usually have a story attached as "I write my songs to escape from life but my life is in the songs".

I like the pun "grounded" and "coffee" LOL

Alyn
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/11/13 08:58 AM
Hi Alyn,

It's brilliant to see you posting songs again. Cool!!! You've certainly been very inventive with your use of Realstuff in this mix.

Like gruverider, I appreciated the background story. I listened before I read the story and, for what it's worth, the theme works on a number of levels and one of those is the innocence of the early days of a relationship and falling in love. It's a very universal theme.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to listen again.

Hope your recuperation is progressing well.

Best wishes,
Noel
Posted By: gibson Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/11/13 04:08 PM
Thanks for your comments,Noel.
My mini stroke has now been downgraded and the cardiologists say it is now stress related to my original heart attack and bypass in 2008....anyway!

I love your interpretation of the theme as I never remembered it in that innocent manner! ALTHO' I recently re-met one of the nurses from those days and we are now rekindling our appreciation of each other.She drinks tea by the way. smile

I will post many more songs with the stories attached over the coming weeks/months.
best wishes

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/11/13 10:26 PM
Hey Alyn.

Keep posting the songs and it might help kick that stress.

I love your lyrics and the song is very evocative of that time - I think I went through a similar period in my youth! And, of course, I was always going to like anything with LaLaLa in it.

Hope the recovery keeps going well.

ROG.
Posted By: boehm Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/12/13 12:58 AM
Hi Alyn,

I like the story and the song.
Your voice sounds young.
Thanks for sharing.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/12/13 02:50 AM
Alyn,

+1 to what's been said already.

I always enjoy a feel good pop song. I like the way you put this together. Lalas and cutting loose with the adlibs behind the vox - cool stuff.
Posted By: gibson Re: Come back with me (repost) - 07/12/13 04:22 AM
ROG,
Thanks for the comments. The stress I have is NHS related, you have heard the term whistleblower, well now you know/have met an accidental one....me vs NHS Wales! And boy, music is certainly a good tonic for my sanity....Thanks Peter G for BIAB..
Yes us musicians tended to have similar-ish periods in our youth... A few things I regret but not many tho!!!!

Guenter,
Thanks for the compliment that my voice sounds young, wish I looked young. I recorded the vox last year at 62.

Sundance,
Thanks I love doing the ad-lib vocals. A few years back a neighbour rushed round to check I was OK as she heard me screaming and shouting stuff and thought I was being attacked! I then made a mental note to close ALL the windows in my house before doing vocals LOL

Alyn
© PG Music Forums