PG Music Home
Posted By: PgFantastic The Missionary - 07/13/13 02:18 PM
This is song 8 of my 5090 challenge. I actually started writing this one after my mission trip to Africa. The missionary that lead our group, had been an artist of Disney, he drew one of the classic cartoon feature movies. He said he made ridiculous money and that Disney was good to work for. He said though when the Lord called him, he moved to Africa and he is now helping to teach, give supplies to those in need and build homes and churches. He said he has never been more happy than doing what he is doing.

8. The Missionary

Instruments are
366 bass
Nashville Ev8'6
405 guitar rhythm
522 Finger Pick Gtr
618 fiddle

***on this song I actually went to different styles and found the instruments that sounded best and then just loaded them in to the song.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: The Missionary - 07/13/13 04:07 PM
Robert,

having a missionary vocation doesn't necessarily mean selling everything and moving to Africa. Everything you said in this song about your friend, I would also say about you.

You could write songs that the world would embrace, and you'd get the kudos that goes with it. But, as your tagline says, your heart is steadfast. You write songs with completely different purpose, and that purpose is not to exalt yourself.

Which brings it full circle from tagline to the tag in your song. 'nuff said.

"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear"
Posted By: Danny C. Re: The Missionary - 07/14/13 05:37 PM
1st of all well said Pat. I often think of Robert as a musical missionary myself.

With that said, Robert this is a wonderful song as it paints a picture of the thousands of missionaries from the beginning time who's travels and hard times and yes rewards I can only imagine..

Later,
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Missionary - 07/14/13 11:00 PM
Well done, as usual. Thanks for posting it!

But... I'm going to nitpick on the use of language.

The key idea is:

"planting for God's kingdom/is his only reward"

But is "planting" a "reward"? Sure, there's the joy of doing the planting, but is that the actual reward? I see you're setting up for your final line:

"Until the day that he meets Jesus face to face/to receive his great reward"

But that undercuts the lyric even more.

You add emphasis to this with the word "only", even though it's not really his only reward. Plus, "only" has a pretty negative connotation. Perhaps a more neutral word like "enough" would fit the task better.

In the first two verses, you describe the reaction to Jimmy's work:

"They all listen contently/Some question, but some come to know the Lord"
"A multitude stand watching/hanging on every word"

All sunshine and roses. So what's the problem?

"... he gave up all the things he had/Gave up a good life"

From what you've said, he doesn't seem to mind giving up whatever wealth he had.

"No one understands him"

Is he really misunderstood? I can't see where in the lyrics.

So while it's a good song, the conflict that you describe in your summary isn't really borne out in the lyric.

But that's just me being pedantic.
Posted By: boehm Re: The Missionary - 07/15/13 02:25 AM
Hi Robert,

well done. You're a missionary yourself.
Thanks for sharing.

Guenter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: The Missionary - 07/15/13 07:50 AM
"You're a missionary yourself"

Been said!!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: The Missionary - 07/15/13 07:58 PM
Thanks all for the feedback, Much appreciated!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Missionary - 07/18/13 09:10 PM
I come from the perspective that as the Native American Blackhawk said "every man must make his own path." And I believe that ultimately those paths can take us to the same good place. I have HUGE admiration for individuals that are able to dedicate their lives to acts of help and kindness to and for their fellow man -- irrespective of their specific calling. I see working class people around me who work hard all week and then spend the weekend working with Habitat for Humanity. I see folks working in free meal programs that could be relaxing on their deck. Thanks for a song that reminds me again of folks who dedicate their lives toward such efforts. They are rarely praised and from the news you wouldn't believe they even existed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Missionary - 07/18/13 09:16 PM
Robert, it’s all been said. All I can add is it’s a keeper.
© PG Music Forums