PG Music Home
Posted By: gruverider For As Long As We Can - 08/07/13 09:30 PM
Inspired by a line from Ed Harris about Jackson Pollock and his wife, off of the making of the movie "Pollock"; "...they traveled together as long as they could"

(and, wait for it ... an ex-girlfriend), shock, I know.

[Link no longer valid]

I think this it:

Key=C , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=4:51
4 bar intro, 71 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 75. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is _DRVCBAL.STY (Slow Driving Ctry Ballad (65 RS))

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~409:Fiddle, Background George Ev 085
(I took the drums out of the final version)

there is another guitar in there, electric something???
Posted By: dani48 Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/08/13 07:25 AM
Hello, Lawrence ( Did I get it right ?)

I liked your tune and lyrics
especially the option not to give up
too easily ! I enjoyed your music
very much !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/08/13 12:50 PM
Lawrence,

Another hit!

Good write. Good lyric, melody, vocal, mix...

A bit long-ish feeling. A simple piano in the last verse (around 3:00?) would have helped keep it moving (IMO..). And then drop it for the simple ending...

Enjoy it.

floyd
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/08/13 02:45 PM
Lawrence,
Outstanding vocal performance! I love the fiddle. It really adds a chill to the song.
SD
Posted By: boehm Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/08/13 04:37 PM
Hi Lawrence,

good lyrics, melody and vocals.
I enjoyed listening.
You listed the RealDrums, but I couldn't hear them.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/09/13 06:03 PM
Another fine tune....you are blessed with consistency - the kind that makes us always look forward to listening to your latest. I really like the production -- Floyd's notion of throwing in a piano is interesting. It seems to subtly add another dimension on the last verse of a tune like this. I was reticent to begin working with piano's as I just didn't feel comfortable with mixing them in essentially acoustic endeavors -- which in itself is a bit odd since it is an acoustic instrument -- but he stepped me through the mixing of it. Your mileage may vary smile

Cool thing is that when you have a great tune like this you can try little subtleties to see if they add any value. That's a lot more fun than trying to salvage a song that just ain't gettin' it!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/09/13 09:32 PM
Lawrence,

Very nice. Well written and performed. I do agree with Floyd and Bud's comments, but still very nice as it is.

Steve
Posted By: Danny C. Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/10/13 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Lawrence,

Very nice. Well written and performed. I do agree with Floyd and Bud's comments, but still very nice as it is.

Steve

My thoughts exactly. This is a solid song in every respect.

Later,
Posted By: gruverider Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/10/13 04:52 PM
thank you Dani, yes my name is Lawrence.

Floyd, I agree. I have had trouble recoding this one it always seems to drag. You got me thinking. When I play it live there is no solo brake. As it is now it goes - A A B solo A B A (= 5min). I think I will re-record it A A B solo B A, and merge the last 2 verses lyrically to fit. I won't be in a position to record for several weeks but I will re-post when I can. Thanks for the input.

Spacedog, thank you

Guenter, the first time I used BIAB on this song I did a pop piano version with guitars and drums. I tried the fiddle and liked it better and took the drums out.

Janice & Bud, thank you. Floyd did get me thinking. It's helps to get another pair of ears on what you're doing sometimes.

Steve Young, thank you for listening

Danny C, thank you
Posted By: seeker Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/10/13 06:39 PM
gruverider,

Your vocals telling the story with the lyrics and
your ability to input emotion into them is great.

This music for me is fine just as is.

Thanks for your hard work and sharing.

Hope your music creation is making you a happy
Posted By: Skyline Re: For As Long As We Can - 08/11/13 11:42 AM
Nice work Lawrence, the verses reminded me a little of Willie Nelson's 'You Were Always On My Mind'. Your vocal is nicely delivered with plenty of emotion, not always an easy thing to do.
I'd have said 'some of your pretty clothes' rather than 'sexy clothes', just to take the edge off a bit?
A keeper certainly!
© PG Music Forums