PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand Blue Clay - 09/13/13 05:35 PM
I've gotten lots of positive feedback about the horns in Funkenstein and requests for more. I'm grateful and most happy to oblige.

This one features wicked solos from RT artists Eric Marienthal on tenor and Ron King on trumpet.

Aleck Rand arranged the horns, and plays bass, guitar, and Latin percussion.

RT Artists

Eric Marienthal: tenor sax
Ron King: trumpet
Jeff Lorber: keyboard
Terry Clark: drums

Listen to BLUE CLAY: https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/red-clay
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Blue Clay - 09/13/13 06:49 PM
Dang, Dean... you're going to fool around and make me like Jazz..
and I don't have the time or talent for that learning curve..

Sounds great!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Blue Clay - 09/13/13 10:14 PM
Dean - super enjoyable! guitar is sounding goooood.
I like how everyone loves your band!
floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 12:14 PM
Hi, Dean !

I am completely taken
by these wonderful chord progressions !
When will you learn me to write like that ??

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 12:30 PM
Floyd and Pat,

Yeah, about "my band." Where would we be if Peter Gannon hadn't come along so that we can all have completely convincing bands. One definition of genius that I've heard is this: someone who has two great ideas to contribute. Let's see: (1) BIAB, (2) RealBand, (3) RealTracks. I dunno, that looks like more than two to me.

I know where I would be: Even if I had the 1000 bucks to spend on ProTools or something similar and even if I was foolhardy enough to spend it, the final result would be me staring, glazed-eyed, at a Rube Goldberg-like interface and thinking, what the hell, my instruments can stay locked in their cases for another thirty years.

Dean
Posted By: boehm Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 02:57 PM
Hi Dean,

your song is a wonderful experience.
You did a great job with the horns, bass, guitar, and percussion.
Really liked it.
You should have mentioned Red Clay (the original).

Guenter
Posted By: Frankp Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 03:25 PM
Sounds great, you did a great job with the horn backgrounds. Eric sounds great as do all the solos, yours too.

This is Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay, right?

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 08:15 PM
Hi Guenter and Frank,

Originally, I had made a reference to certain "astute members" who would recognize Red Clay. Then, for whatever reason, I deleted this from the post and put in a statement of gratitude to Freddie Hubbard on the Soundcloud page that hosts it. Well, you two guys are the only Forum members to indicate recognition - and Guenter makes a good point. True, it's a bit feeble but if you look at the URL https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/red-clay there it is.

When I first joined the Forum at the beginning of 2013, I used to post "name that tune" type performances to see how familiar Forum members were with Jazz. Maybe the title "adjustment" is a leftover from those days.

Thank you for your very kind remarks. Frank I'll address the horn arrangements question next time.

Dean
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Blue Clay - 09/14/13 08:37 PM
Shades of Super Sax! Okay, that's all the jazz recognition I've got today. Finest kind, Dean. There are multiple layers of genius at work here.

On the flip side, this is one of those performances, both virtual and real, that is inspiring and depressing at the same time. It's bad enough that I'll never play like that; now you've got me wondering whether I will ever be able to manage the software as well as you and many others. You give the rest of us a very high mark to aim for.

Okay, enough sniveling. I've got to get back to work getting my studio together.

R.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Blue Clay - 09/15/13 12:01 AM
hi aleck great arrangement realy good use of biab great guitar licks well done thanks eric
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Blue Clay - 09/15/13 05:03 AM
Well Aleck, what can I say? Great arrangement! I have a question though, you said that the horns were midi, can you reveal what VST, sound module or sampler you use for these? they sound very convincing.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike B.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Blue Clay - 09/15/13 04:47 PM
nice stuff going on there.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Blue Clay - 09/16/13 02:38 PM
Thanks Guitarhacker and CubanPete. About the VST used for the horns: Garritan JBB with RealBand.

Aleck
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Blue Clay - 09/16/13 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Dang, Dean... you're going to fool around and make me like Jazz..
and I don't have the time or talent for that learning curve..

Sounds great!

Absolutely could not have better stated my feeling....so I'll hijack Pat's comment.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Blue Clay - 09/16/13 04:28 PM
Outstanding! Horns are great as well as the guitar! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Blue Clay - 09/17/13 02:38 AM
Great playing Frank!

Later,
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Blue Clay - 09/21/13 05:00 PM
Thanks PGFantastic for these highly complementary remarks.

Aleck
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Blue Clay - 09/21/13 05:02 PM
Hey Danny,

I hope "Frank" is me - Aleck or Dean. Otherwise, I admit Frank is a pretty decent player.

Dean
© PG Music Forums