PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Five Gallon Head - 09/21/13 09:29 PM
Vase seems to have run its course. And there don't seem to be as many songs being posted as in the past. So, I thought I'd throw up another.

I've been co-writing with a fellow named Bill Osofsky lately. Actually, mostly what I'm doing is music for Bill's lyrics - which is a new thing for me. I've done many, many co-writes. But have never simply been handed completed lyrics with no melody whatsoever. On some I do a tweak here and there or replace a line or two, but on others, I leave them as they are. Done a dozen in the last 4 weeks. (Thinking of maybe doing a CD of all of them and calling it "Overdue Bill").

Most of them are aimed at "commercial Country" (Nashville). But one hit me as a Prine type lyric. I grew up as a fanatical John Prine fan. His 1st album was my songwriting bible. When I decided to concentrate on "writing commercial" I had to stop listening to Prine - or I would end up "writing Prine".

So I was tickled when this one popped up. Surprisingly Bill had never listened to any Prine. I did some tweaking to make it even more Prine-like and then did the best I could to emulate the sound from his first album in the production of this.

I hope you enjoy it. As always, comments encouraged.

FIVE GALLON HEAD

the cops came one night and they spoke to his mom
how could a bartender let daddy drive
they buried his old man on the very same day
as that innocent family of five
all his dad left was a mem'ry of yelling
and watching mom hold ice to her lip
some bottles of gin, so mom's drinkin' again
and a black stetson hat, too big to fit.

(chorus)
and he felt so alone
he had no one at all
he wished he could just disappear in the wall
shattered and shaken
and this close to breakin'
ya can't feel no smaller than that
like a five gallon head
in a ten gallon hat

Many years later he sat at a bar
sunday night, by himself, drinkin' shooters
a little too drunk, a little too loud
talkin' 'bout the waitress' hooters
she stopped dead in her tracks, put down her tray
you could've heard a jaw drop in that place
she stared, she glared, her nostrils flared
she threw a pitcher of beer in his face

(repeat chorus)

(bridge)
took a good look at himself that night
the whole town was talkin', he knew they were right
now he's ten years sober, a good woman to love
raisin' two boys and thanking the good lord above

(chorus 2)
that he's not all alone
he's standin' up tall
before you can walk
you gotta learn how to crawl
he's given up hateful
for growin' and grateful
he's no longer where he was at
a five gallon head
in a ten gallon hat

Here are the RealTracks:
RealTracks in style: ~1123:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 140
RealTracks in song: ~823:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Waltz Sw 140
RealTracks in style: ~825:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Country Waltz Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 1298:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 140
RealDrums in style: NashClassicWaltzSw^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Have fun.

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/21/13 09:53 PM
Hi Floyd,

It's lots of applause from me!

Love the lines "Five gallon head in a ten gallon hat". The way you decelerated "Five gallon head" to make it standout as the title is something I'll be taking on board. I'm pretty sure that that technique will pop up in one of my songs sooner or later.

The lyrics, the music, the mix, the performance all fit together incredibly well. As I'm sitting here typing, and re-listening, I cannot imagine how the song could be made any better. It's got "Professional" stamped on it in big and bold letters.

Every time I listen to one of your creations, I come away thinking about what you have done and how you have done it. Without fail, you always manage to teach me a few things and inspire me a great deal.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: tommyad Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/21/13 10:13 PM
Floyd, Good job on the cowrite. The melody is right for the lyrics. Good mix. I hear a lot of Prine in this. In the early 70's, guess I' m dating myself, but way back then a friend named Tom Taylor and I played the matinee at the Earl of Old Town in Chicago and Prine and Steve Goodman played the evening show. Both great guys. Not that I was in their league whatsoever, but a good memory. Thanks for posting. I am a big fan of yours. Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 01:52 AM
Floyd,

Sounds like you and Bill are enjoying working together. IMO, he's one of the best lyric writers over at JPF. Good story song.

Your songs are mixed well. A nice choice of tracks and I always enjoy hearing you sing.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 07:08 AM
vocally and lyrically such a John Prine vibe, that is a great compliment from me

(oops, and I didn't read tommy's response first)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 01:43 PM
Floyd,

you have the Midas magic... every song you touch turns golden!

I really like the catch-phrase "5 gallon head in a 10 gallon hat", and the music you wrote works perfectly with it
Posted By: boehm Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 04:33 PM
Hi Floyd,

the lyrics could be yours. No wonder you like co-writing with Bill, you are soulmates.
Vocals great as always and a professional mix.

Guenter
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Floyd, Good job on the cowrite. The melody is right for the lyrics. Good mix. I hear a lot of Prine in this. Tom

I have to echo Tommy as I could not say it any better.

Later,
Posted By: rsdean Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 05:42 PM
Really excellent - captures the Prine feel perfectly. Loved it,

Bob
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Really excellent - captures the Prine feel perfectly. Loved it,

Bob

+1

A commercial artist friend once told me that the secret of art (and I'll include songwriting) is to omit some of the detail to pique the viewer's/listener's curiosity. Floyd, you do that perfectly. I had to listen several times and I enjoyed every line. Thank you.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/22/13 09:17 PM
Hi, Floyd !

How about +3 to what everyone else
has said about this song and your performance ?

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/23/13 08:04 AM
Fantastic job, Floyd. Very moving lyrics and a great production as always
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/23/13 11:34 AM
I love a good story song and this is one of them.

Nice job on the co-write.

Good imagery.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/23/13 03:10 PM
Noel - thanks. That "deceleration" was something that Prine did on several different songs...

Tom - THAT is a cool story! I was a big Goodman fan, too. Saw him play once at a coffee house in Montreal (1974). After the show a handful of people hung around and he got his guitar back out and played (off stage) for another half hour. A couple of us sang harmonies with him. Quite a thrill for the kid I was at the time...

Josie - thanks. Bill is a good lyricist, so it's been fun finding music for his stuff...

Lawrence - thanks. I was trying to make it as Prine-like as possible... it was a lot of fun doing that...

Pat - thanks for that.

Guenter - thanks - makes sense since "that's where I came from" - don't see those type lyrics very often...

Danny - thanks for the listen and the nice comments..

Bob - really appreciate that!

Don - always good to see you dropping by!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/23/13 03:11 PM
dani - thanks - always appreciate a +3!

Joanne - thanks for the listen!

Herb - appreciate it...
Posted By: RichMac Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/24/13 03:12 AM
Could imagine Waylon doing this one. Classic lyrics. Stared, glared, nostrils flared - oh yeah. Great treatment. Smooth vocal. Another one that could play on my radio anytime.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Five Gallon Head - 09/26/13 10:30 PM
Count me in on the JP feel. I've listened to him since his first album and he can often rip the paint right off of your heart. To be handed lyrics, create a melody and create an entire production around it, and a fine one at that, is impressive. To do it repeatedly is simply amazing. Your creative barrel has no bottom or even a few dregs smile
© PG Music Forums