PG Music Home
Posted By: Carolyne The Next Best Thing - 10/07/13 09:28 PM
New song update. The last response to my song, Seasons of My Time, were very encouraging. Hope you like this one as well.
Carolyne

https://soundcloud.com/carolyne-swayze/the-next-best-thing
Posted By: Carolyne Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/07/13 09:32 PM
The Next Best Thing using Used BIAB Wynton Kelly style J_Wynt_k Wynton. My arrangements. RealDrums Sticks #1
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/07/13 11:34 PM
Very nice song. Beautiful voice. I had not been interested in jazz before, but am acquiring an interest it. Thank you for sharing this....

Scott C
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 01:32 AM
Hi Carolyne
Very, very tasty. I like the use of the two beat to four beat feel and back again. Lots of room to show off the music with the instrumental. Great lyrics.
Really Excellent !!
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 01:38 AM
I really enjoyed this - great sound all around...

Bob
Posted By: Carolyne Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 02:40 AM
Thanks to all who are listening, I appreciate the feedback. There is a lot of talent on this forum and I'm proud to be associated.
Carolyne
Posted By: Danny C. Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 03:23 AM
Cooooool am I hearing a little Peggy Lee tonight?

Nice job!

Later,
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 04:39 AM
Love it! Vocal is superb, play that jazz cat. Great production work! Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 12:04 PM
So cool. Like being in a smokey little hole in the wall dive with a blue spotlight on the singer on a tiny stage..... Dark room, people drowning their problems in bourbon..... like I said... very well done.

The only nit is that the vocals need a slight high end eq to give them some air. The feel closed on the top.....and they should be open.

Well done on the recording and the writing. Don't fade it. It has the chord to give it the buttoned up ending. Let the last piano chord fade naturally if you want.
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 02:26 PM
Oh Yeah, Like Pasa and Dena. Your voice, lyrics and recording go together in a nice neat little package. Very nice. I liked this a whole lot! Keep writing and posting. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 03:31 PM
Hi Carolyne,

superb!
I enjoyed everything: lyrics, vocals and arrangement.
You're a pro.

Guenter
Posted By: Carolyne Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 04:03 PM
I so agree Guitarhacker, about the vocals sounding closed at the top. I just didn't know how to fix it. Think its too late now.
But you have confirmed my feelings and I'm not going to second guess myself next time. Need to learn how to use all those knobs on the mastering side!! Anyone know of any tutorials? Thank you.
Carolyne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 04:51 PM
Depends on the "mastering" software and procedures you use.....

Just use a little more high end EQ... boost slightly in the "above" 5K range where all the harmonics and overtones are located. It should not affect the main vocals but it creates "air" where it needs to be..... I think you'll like the results.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Next Best Thing - 10/08/13 06:27 PM
I like that. I got a bit of a Billie Holiday vibe from it. For me it doesn't get much better than Billie and Lester. Cool all the way around.

Re mastering, I'm with Herb on this....and stay away from compression until you are very familiar with the effects.
© PG Music Forums