PG Music Home
Posted By: molsenhouse The Lover - 10/17/13 12:23 PM
An old emotional pop-song made years ago, that I never figured out – but with BiaB I am testing different arrangements/styles.

https://soundcloud.com/molsenhouse/the-lover-demo

What happens combining an even bass to swinging drums, pop mixed with smooth jazz…?
Shots and holds – I love it!!!

I'm a guitarist singing my own tunes – not a great vocalist, so for this song I'm running the vocal mic into a OD-box (plug-in) to see what happens. Kind of boxy, but lively :-/

Style is _SJAZZC1.STY
RealTracks in song: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: ~~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
(Thanks Scott C for making me aware of this great patch! :-)
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: SmoothJazzCoolSw16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Tracked and mixed in DP8, mastered in WaveLab.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 12:42 PM
Hi
Thanks for sharing, I really liked the pop-feel style, which has a good solid rock sound, and the brass fills work well.

It sounds like you have dubbed a harmony, was that done through a separate layered vocal.

Overall, and excellent composition. Good work.

Trevor
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 02:13 PM
Nice.... Generally mixing swing with even doesn't work well.... but this does....

loved the horn fills...

the vox is fairly distorted, boxy and buried ... I'd work on getting a better signal path for the vox to get it cleaner and brighter. Doing that would take this to an entirely different level. Be careful with that autotune.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 03:06 PM
Hi there Molsenhouse.

Yes, yes, yes, I DO like this one.

Great song, fabulous arrangement. Any chance you can give us more details on the tracks which aren't RTs?

Loved the vocal and although I was OK with the distortion, I would have liked it a bit brighter - as Herb said, at times it was getting buried slightly in the backing. Maybe a bit of a boost at 4K?

I liked the pick-up at 35secs, then the change at 1.48 and finally the big sound from 2.10. A really nice progression.

All in all a very professional job. I've listened twice already and I'm just going back for a third.

Thanks for posting.

ROG.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 07:29 PM
Wow excellent tune. Loved the tempo. Neat song well played and well sung.

Scott C
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 07:40 PM
Hi, Molsenhouse !

I liked your tune as
I dig the kind of swing
you have put there !:))
Thank you for posting,
was a pleasure to listen !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Lover - 10/17/13 10:19 PM
molsenhouse,

A really enjoyable song - very catchy! Almost a "Bowie sound" to this. Terrific arrangement. Some great changes along the way.

I liked it!

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: The Lover - 10/18/13 04:55 AM
WOW, what a great song.
I cannot add or think of anything original so I agree with ALL the above posters!

Alyn
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: The Lover - 10/18/13 09:52 AM
Thanks for great feedback, fellow musicians!

Herb and ROG; I'll keep working on the vocal-track! Clean chain (perhaps on the first half of the song) and a touch of 4k to make it brighter ;-)

Trevor; Yes, I've recorded a 2. and 3. vox for the last chorus – maybe I should try a 2. vox on the first chorus too…?

ROG; The tracks that I play are 2 tracks with different ac. 6 string + 1 track with a 12 string during the synth-hookline, 3 tracks of electric guitar, hornz and synth lead from Roland XV-5080.

Scott; Tempo is a BIG issue – I turned down the tempo to 91 bpm for recording, but had a better feel with 93 bpm checking different ideas in BiaB. Maybe I'll turn it back.

Again, thanks a lot for lending me your ears! :-)
© PG Music Forums