PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Gone To Soon - 10/19/13 11:29 PM
Did this one last year. Remixed it to take out the count in and boosted the drums. Hope you like it.

Gone Too Soon

Done with Real Band
BB Real Bass 902
BB RealDrums SmoothJazzCool
Four guitar tracks
Acoustic Taylor to open mike
Fender Strat Vox AC1 finger picked
Fender Strat Vox AC1 melody
Fender Strat Vox AC1 slide
Posted By: Mac Re: Gone To Soon - 10/19/13 11:43 PM
Sound good, but the two lead guitars are "stepping on each other". Might be a good idea to eliminate one or the other for the sake of coherency.

And, is this songtitle about going to a place called Soon?

"Gone to Soon"

Or is it about not hanging around long enough?

"Gone Too Soon"

--Mac

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 02:31 PM
The groove allows one to play around and solo over it easily. Its really easy to get carried away and end up with confusion.

I agree with Mac, in that, the guitars are all over each other.

Couple of things I noticed.

1. Be sure to tune the guitars before you start recording. Even check it throughout the session. I keep a tuner handy and check it periodically as I record.

2. Choose one lead/solo and pull the others out. I call it "hard enveloping" ... in any given song, you will rarely hear multiple solo's happening at the same time.... not counting the Grateful Dead.

I often have two or more instruments ready to solo.... but when it comes down to it out of the two or three or four, I select only ONE to solo in any given section. IF... If I have two soloing in a section it is a case where one plays a lick and then the other back and forth as complimenting each other's work.... I have a new tune (for the song challenge) that actually has 2 working as I described.... fiddle and mandolin swapping licks in a solo....

I like what you have, but you might wish to revisit the mixing and you will be amazed at how much better it sounds. Cleaner, clearer, and you will be able to hear each instrument in the mix.
Posted By: boehm Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 04:29 PM
Hi Scott,
Originally Posted By: Mac
Sound good, but the two lead guitars are "stepping on each other". Might be a good idea to eliminate one or the other for the sake of coherency.

Enjoyed listening though.
Guenter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 08:48 PM
Mac and Herb

Gone Too Soon

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the input. I redid the guitar track(tuning) and the mix. I clipped out most of the slide and what I left in I tried to make more subtle.
It is funny the name of the song was intended to be "Gone Too Soon", but I never noticed that I had spelled it "to". The mind plays tricks...

Guenter thank you for your comments...

Regards
Scott
Posted By: Mac Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 09:38 PM
Sounds much more coherent now, Scott.

--Mac
Posted By: dani48 Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 10:59 PM
Hi, Scott !:))

Very nice tune and playing !
Love the groove on this one !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 11:07 PM
Smmmmooooth,nice listen.

Later,
Posted By: MarioD Re: Gone To Soon - 10/20/13 11:15 PM
VERY NICE!

Great chops and super tone on your axe!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Gone To Soon - 10/21/13 10:51 AM
Hi Scott,

You're a very skilful musician. I don't play guitar but I could imagine that my fingers would be somersaulting all over fretboard to get all those notes that you played.

A very pleasant listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Gone To Soon - 10/21/13 11:06 AM
Major improvement.

This sounds so much better. Guitars are in tune, and it's easy to hear the theme in the lead.

Way to go
Posted By: Scott C Re: Gone To Soon - 10/21/13 12:14 PM
Dani, Danny C, Mario, Noel thank you for your comments it means allot to me..

Mac and Herb
I am so glad you like the new version. This feedback is excellent. When I decided to start playing again my first goal was to improve my playing skill and next to see if it was possible to write a song. Your feedback on my songs is gently nudging me in the right direction. All I can say is thank you for taking the time to do this. I am so glad I joined this forum...

Scott
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Gone To Soon - 10/21/13 12:47 PM
Scott,

Sounds good to me. Since the "theme" was fairly constant throughout, I felt it should have been about 3:30 (about a minute shorter). The older I get, the shorter my attention span, ya know...

Keep 'em coming!

floyd
Posted By: gruverider Re: Gone To Soon - 10/27/13 02:15 AM
sweet sound on the guitar. much enjoyed
© PG Music Forums