PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/09/13 11:42 PM

Honey Babe Blues

A bluegrass band I was in during the 70's used to perform this song. It's by one of my favorite writers Trad Anon smile The origins have been lost through time but some researchers think the melody could date back to the 17th century. It's also called The Red Rocking Chair by some artists. There are so many versions of the lyric that I just picked a few lines from the public domain and wrote a few new ones. Not that it matters as it's just a vehicle for my wife to play around vocally with a reggae groove. After auditioning many RT's I just decided to stick with the basic reggae set and throw in a blues guitar that seemed to work...or at least after I found enough snippets to hang with the reggae beat.

Vocal: Janice via Rodes NT1 and Blue Icicle USB interface
The drums, bass, rhythm guitar, and organ are all from the slow reggae RT #103 set.
The lead guitar is #576 electric blues played by Jack Pearson of Allman Bros fame.
Mixed in Garagband interfaced with BIAB and mastered via Ozone5.

A big tip of the hat to floyd jane for advice and examples as I begin my Ozone journey.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 12:04 AM
This is really excellent! A great tight arrangement and Janice sounds outstanding - great, great job... Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 04:54 AM
That is seriously a very clean recording. Crisp and tight. My only critique might be that the lead vocal (by the way "outstanding")is a little to far forward. Not much mind you but still just a tiny bit to in your face.

Great track. "Lovin' it"
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 05:05 AM
That is seriously a very clean recording. Crisp and tight. My only critique might be that the lead vocal (by the way "outstanding")is a little to far forward. Not much mind you but still just a tiny bit to in your face.

Great track. "Lovin' it"
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 05:37 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Outstanding! Again!

I love the reggae feeling coupled with the blues guitar. There's a saying that goes something like "Necessity is the mother of invention." When I listen to the creations that the two of you post, I think that saying should be rephrased to "Having fun with BIAB is the mother of invention."

I constantly marvel at how well arranged, performed and produced your songs are. If this forum were a Christmas tree, you'd both be found with the very important stars right up the top!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 09:48 AM
Hi Janice and Bud
I agree with what Noel has said. I love the way that the two of you experiment with this wonderful tool we have all been given.

As usual Janice's vocal is outstanding and the reggae arrangement is great. Love it!
Posted By: gibson Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 09:49 AM
Janice and Bud,

An interesting mix of reggae and blues, I like it!
Janice has an OUTSTANDING voice which sounds amazing in this song, as usual.

I totally agree with Noel when he says "Having fun with BIAB is the mother of invention."

Excellent!

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 12:49 PM
Thanks Bob! Glad you like the arrangement and vocal. Janice had fun with this one.

Rob, thanks for the comments. I think Ozone made the difference on the tight feel of this one. I'll experiment around some with the vocal placement this evening. I think the mastering moved it more forward from what I had in the mix down.

Noel, BIAB has let us play around with genres that we've loved for years but never had a band willing to experiment with. It can really set you free. Thanks!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 01:53 PM
J&B, This is another fine example of your willingness to experiment. Fine vocal and the mix and production are again up to your very high standard. Thanks for posting. I

always look forward to hearing your next creation. Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 03:36 PM
Very cool, I really love the reggae feel!
Janice, your voice is a dead spit for Emelda May's!
Imelda May.
Posted By: jphillips Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 06:53 PM
Janice and Bud:

This sounds excellent. I imagine your already good mixes will be improved with Ozone..

Good job.

John
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/10/13 10:55 PM
Thanks Joanne, BIAB is a blast isn't it!

Alyn, glad you liked the blues and reggae mix. I got lucky with that guitar RT. I used it all the way through as I thought it would keep the 2 chord tune from getting tedious.

Hey Tommy, thanks for commenting and cool that the experiment worked for you!

Skyline, wow, that's quite a compliment. We have the DVD of her with Jeck Beck. Thank you!!

Thanks John, yeah man, Ozone is going to be interesting as if doing a little recording, mountain biking, kayaking and hiking wasn't enough!

And a special thanks to all of you who singled out Janice's voice in your comments. We deeply appreciate it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/11/13 01:16 PM
Excellent song. Incredible vocals
Posted By: boehm Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/11/13 04:25 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

I see you have also acquired a taste for Reggae.
I like that mix with the guitar.
And Janice's strong voice on top!
Impressive.

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/11/13 04:36 PM
Hi Janice and Bud.

It amazing how well you've got the blues and reggae to work together.

The reggae gives it a beautifully lazy feel and then that edgy lead guitar cuts in and makes you sit bolt upright.

Super vocal, as always, from Janice and the whole package topped off with a really nice mix.

Enjoyed that lots, thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/11/13 10:47 PM
Hi, Janice & Bud !:))

Wow !! A superb tune
brilliantly sung and produced !
Can you say anything else than......WOW !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: dcuny Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/11/13 10:54 PM
+1. Excellent mix and performance.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/12/13 04:53 AM
Bud,

I'm an admirer of your mixes without Ozone so it's extra gravy. That's a compliment.

Janice,

Cool vocal especially the slides at the end.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/12/13 01:43 PM
Thanks Scott! We appreciate the compliment

Thanks Guenter, pretty cool that we were working on reggae songs at the same time. This is only the third reggae tune we've done -- they are fun. Glad you liked it!

Rog, thanks for the noting the interplay of the blues guitar and the reggae beat. It was a challenge and it is really nice knowing that it worked for you. The mix was an interesting endeavor as I always find it tougher to make a sparse "band" work.

Thank you Dani for the kind remarks!!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/12/13 04:01 PM
That's a good job.... blues and reggae music... who knew? Like peanut butter and chocolate. Goes together just fine.
Posted By: Frankp Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/12/13 07:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Jack Pearson both inside and outside of BIAB. Very creative to match the blues with Reggae.

My only critique would be to experiment with the guitar being removed during the vocals. For me, being a guitar player, my focus became on the guitar playing and not the vocals. I think by just filling in the holes between the vocals with lead guitar you could create some real nice interplay. (Let me know if I'm out of bounds making these kind of comments, I haven't participated much and am still learning the culture.)

Great job on the arrangement and production and Janice's vocals sound great.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/12/13 08:21 PM
Herb, thanks! You just never know what's gonna happen with BIAB until you try it....and man have I created some stinkers in the experimental process.

Frank, no worries AT ALL about the comments....hopefully that's what we're all about. Several folks have mentioned the same thing (on and off line) about the guitar. I really wanted a rhythm piano or another rhythm instrument to offer some background texture -- mainly because I was worried that the two chord progression would get tedious. But the reggae piano only comps with the rhythm guitar and other instruments just didn't seem to fit the groove. So I cut and pasted some guitar bars that hopefully would fit in the background. I understand your point about how a guitar player would tend to focus more on the riffs than the vocal with it there all the time. I'm always experimenting so I'll fool around with a mix with just the vocal holes filled in and I'll continue my quest to find some other rhythm instrument that will ride over the reggae rhythm w/o bumping up against it. Thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/14/13 10:39 PM
David and Josie, pardon the belated thanks....we've been in and out for the last few days. We both very much appreciate y'all taking the time to listen and comment. Thanks!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/15/13 04:56 AM
Hey mon... dat sound so gooood.

Your mixes always sound like the band is just sitting right here in front of me.

Cool organ. Cool drums. Super cool guitar.

Way, Way, Way Super Cool vocal. Janice makes it sound SO easy, so natural. Like she was born to sing. Born to do nothing BUT sing. Like she doesn't ever talk. Everything just comes out as a song. Is that what it's like? I think.

Reggae Blues. Check.

floyd
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/15/13 06:57 PM
Wow! What a clean, tight mix. Great merging of blues & reggae. Janice sounds fantastic as always!

Loved it!

Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/16/13 12:31 AM
Hmmm,strange and interesting combination, like i said before, experiment , experiment and experiment! Very good indeed!

Mike B.
Posted By: kenbiab Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/16/13 05:25 PM
Really incredible track! That is a compelling mix of styles brought together with world class vocal! Well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/16/13 09:32 PM
Thanks Floyd, a passing interest in reggae from the "I shot the sheriff" days helped with the grove. Oh, and, yes, she does talk smile

Greg, thanks! glad you liked the blues/reggae melding.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/16/13 10:32 PM
you cut that guitar like you were playing it, well done

of course the vocal... ahh the vocal!! ; )

funny but I wrote a song about a brake up. she would light two cigarettes at once and hand me one. and so the refrain is "whose gonna' light my cigarettes when you're gone?" I have not recorded it yet so I may do a one take vocal and guitar and post it this weekend.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/16/13 10:47 PM
Excellent production -- really enjoyed it. And the singing is really top notch.

As others mentioned, the vocals might be slightly hot (only a tad) and the guitar could be scaled back here and there during the vocal parts. I only got to listen once, so those suggestions are unverified (ha, ha).

I like reggae and blues -- so together is great.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Honey Babe Blues (blues/reggae) - 11/17/13 06:55 PM
Hey Gruve, thanks for mentioning the guitar. It took me many splices of many generations to try and get it to work with the reggae rhythm and Janice really appreciate you noting her vocal.

Kemmrich, thanks for the comments! When we get caught up with a few projects I'm gonna revisit this one and tweak the mix a bit.
© PG Music Forums