PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand CRANKIN' - 11/29/13 11:39 PM
This is a "tune within a tune." The embedded tune is probably the greatest blues ever to achieve chart-buster status and, not only that, I believe it was the first time that listeners heard the Fender Rhodes piano, which was quite new at the time.

It was recorded not just by someone long forgotten, but by a titan who will live forever through his music.

Nuff said. Who's going to identify it?

The drummer is an RD artist known, regrettably, only as PG artist #4 (RealDrums BluesBBEven8^, at the top of the list). Whoever #4 is, he or she is one burnin' drummer.

Aleck Rand: guitar, organ, bass.

Listen and groove to CRANKIN' https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/crankin
Posted By: Danny C. Re: CRANKIN' - 11/29/13 11:46 PM
This one was too easy. But a great listen and great arrangement on Ray's big hit!

later,
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 11/29/13 11:49 PM
Wow Danny,

That was quick. Didn't expect it to fall so easily.

Dean
Posted By: gibson Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 04:02 PM
excellent playing and an interesting version of a great song

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 04:14 PM
Hi Dean,

great guitar!
Ray used to be one of my first role models.
I even wore his sunglasses.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 05:04 PM
Well I'll be damned!

Guenter, this is the first time I've actually gotten to see you, although this is probably an older picture. Why, you're the spittin' image of Ray at the Fender Rhodes! Shake that thang, baby!

And, of course, thank you for the compliment.

Dean
Posted By: Danny C. Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Well I'll be damned!

Guenter, this is the first time I've actually gotten to see you, although this is probably an older picture. Why, you're the spittin' image of Ray at the Fender Rhodes! Shake that thang, baby!

And, of course, thank you for the compliment.

Dean

Dean,

After looking at the photo and reading your comment on how much they "look alike" at the "Fender Rhodes" me thinks Santa might want to bring you some script glasses. :>

OK, I got the joke, never rmind.

Later,
Posted By: sixchannel Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 07:25 PM
Hi Aleck
Cant hope to comment on the technical musical aspects of this as it is beyond me but I enjoyed the roaring along groove of the whole thing. Nice stereo spacing on my headphones too.
Ace, Aleck
cheers
ian
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 08:59 PM
Danny,

No pair of glasses that Santa could ever find would halp me!

Dean
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: CRANKIN' - 11/30/13 10:18 PM
nice old 1-4-5 jammin there.

I may have to investigate that drummer a bit further myself.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: CRANKIN' - 12/01/13 04:57 PM
Dean,

Love your guitar on this, man! Some cool speed stuff, some sweet melody stuff...

Terrific arrangement and mix - one of your best, I'd say.

Very enjoyable!

floyd
Posted By: tommyad Re: CRANKIN' - 12/01/13 06:11 PM
Dean,Those are some fast runs. Nice playing on this one. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: CRANKIN' - 12/01/13 09:34 PM
Hi, Dean !

You really move those fingers
on this one !:)) Getting Crankin´?
I am amazed as always by your
brilliant playing !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 12/02/13 05:37 PM
Thanks Floyd and Tommy,

I'm glad you boys liked it. Y'know, after a hundred takes trying to nail that thing, I dipped my fingers in cool water and heard, "hsssss..." along with a little puff of steam.

Whew!

Dean
Posted By: Steve Young Re: CRANKIN' - 12/02/13 07:57 PM
Dean,

All I can think of right now is WOW! Are you sure you didn't record this at a slower speed and then speed it up? smile Very nice work on a true classic!

Steve
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 12/03/13 03:38 AM
Hey Steve,

Alright, I will admit to using an artificial device without which I could never have played Crankin'.

And, believe me, it hurts to confess this, because I have on occasion swaggered my vanity around saying, "Oh, man, that kind of thing, that's just for kids."

So, OK, I did it: I used a pick.

I know, I've insisted that I play with my thumb and 99% of the time I do. But velocity like that is out of range for my thumb. Wouldn't recording at slow speed and then speeding up the playback produce something like the guitar equivalent of Alvin and the Chipmunks? I remember doing stuff like that with a tape recorder when I was a kid. Doing it in the other direction, I became "the monster from beneath the sea."

But my avatar carries a message: I've always had a "hot hand" on the instrument. There are plenty of players a lot faster than I am, but sheer speed devoid of ideas doesn't cut it - at least, not for me.

I'm flattered by your remarks and glad you liked the tune.

Dean
Posted By: RichMac Re: CRANKIN' - 12/03/13 09:27 PM
Virtuostic!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 12/04/13 03:26 AM
Thank you RichMac,

Really glad you enjoyed it.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: CRANKIN' - 12/04/13 07:47 AM
That there was some fine pickin! Great jam. It was cookin right along.

Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: CRANKIN' - 12/04/13 02:10 PM
Hi Greg,

Along with the cookin', throw my fingertips on the grill. Burnt steak, man. But worth it, to hear kind responses like yours.

Dean
© PG Music Forums