PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 12:55 PM

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11185701

Just a little bit of Christmas music for the season. I recorded this last year.(2012) I like this song and have done several versions through the years, and this one is a bit on the harder side of the fence. I'm handling all the guitars and piano chores in this. It was recorded in my humble home studio. The guitars start with my Tele and switch a bit on to my SG as the need for "fat sound" increases at the 2 minute mark.

Hope you enjoy. I'll be digging out a few old tunes and dusting them off in the days following.

The tracks and style: LA Hard Rock I'd have to go back to the project to look up the exact tracks.... Bass, Drums, and probably a B3 from BB/RT defaulted to the style. Then, if I recall, about 6 tracks of guitar and one piano which I played.

enjoy.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 02:59 PM
Herb,

An interesting alternative sound to that. Kinda spaghetti-western-Christmas. Good mix. - floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 03:58 PM
Hi Herb

What a neat version of this song. I first remember playing this song when I was about 8 on a recorder.. Excellent playing
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 04:59 PM
Hi Herb

I really enjoyed listening to that. So different.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 09:38 PM
Hi, Herb !

This was really a different
approach to this old classic !
But it sounded very good and
I enjoyed everything about it !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Green Sleeves - 12/06/13 09:50 PM
Hi Herb
Quite different and reminded me of the "covers" that groups / bands of the 60's did of Classics.
I thought it was great version.
The SG sounded good and Hot but I thought that you could have wound your Tele up to give a smokin' tone too. LOVED TO BITS the high register harmony in the "SG" section.
Brilliant!
cheers
ian
Posted By: boehm Re: Green Sleeves - 12/07/13 02:13 AM
Hi Herb,

a nice version.
I like your guitar sound and the 'harmony'.

Guenter
Posted By: RichMac Re: Green Sleeves - 12/07/13 08:42 AM
Love this tune and the Spanish/Mexican? feel. Would maybe like a bit nastier bass sound.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Green Sleeves - 12/07/13 08:41 PM
Herb, This is played and arranged with great skill. It sounds great. The stereo spread is perfect and the levels are just right. It does have that western vibe and you can be proud of your rendition. Very unique. Two thumbs up. Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Green Sleeves - 12/07/13 09:09 PM
Hey everybody, thanks for listening.

I'm glad you like this. I have recorded this a number of times, everything from what you hear in this to totally acoustic with hammered dulcimer and mandolins..... this is such a great song.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Green Sleeves - 12/08/13 08:27 AM
Surf's up!
Great sound, get down and get heavy eh?
Posted By: Sundance Re: Green Sleeves - 12/08/13 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, This is played and arranged with great skill. It sounds great. The stereo spread is perfect and the levels are just right. It does have that western vibe and you can be proud of your rendition. Very unique. Two thumbs up. Tom

Couldn't agree more. Loved the tones and how cool were those harmonies....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Green Sleeves - 12/08/13 09:45 PM
Yeah... Thanks.... I can and do listen to this one all year long on my mp3 player. I'm thinking the only way I could make this better would be to add COWBELL to it. (grin wink wink)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Green Sleeves - 12/09/13 11:41 PM
Cool. Loved the guitar and the harmony. That was on our set list for years. Had a very melodic banjo player who could really work it -- odd as that might sound smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Green Sleeves - 12/10/13 06:19 AM
Wow! That's stunning.

The only thing it lacks is some Herp Albert trumpet!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Green Sleeves - 12/10/13 10:35 AM
Herb, this is beautifully arranged, played and engineered! Fantastic stuff, I really liked it and it's Morricone flavour. Super guitar harmonies also.
The drums are a bit low in the mix, but that's just me perhaps.

John
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Green Sleeves - 12/10/13 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
.... melodic banjo player ....

Those are words you don't often hear together..... :-)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Green Sleeves - 12/10/13 01:09 PM
Thanks.... I'll be popping some more old stuff up in a few more days.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Green Sleeves - 12/10/13 03:00 PM
superbly done!
© PG Music Forums