PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane This Love Thing - 12/06/13 06:04 PM
One of the great things about BIAB is finding ways to change/improve an old song.
I had always performed this one as a mid-tempo "country pop ditty".
Kind of on the "lighter" side.
As I was looking for an electric guitar for the chorus, I began auditioning different tracks.
I often try dozens, looking for the right thing.
Often, listening to tracks whose name would indicate "no way" will that work...
Something about the StoneZ Honky guitars caught my attention for this...
...which sent the song in a whole new direction.
And gave it new life (for me)...

So, let's rock a little...

RealTracks in song: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~496:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 1 Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~502:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 2 Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 861:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockWaltzSustainHeld Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1563:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BritBluesInvasionJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1171:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockUpbeatBrent Ev 140
RealDrums in style: RockClassicBritEv^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride Bell

THIS LOVE THING

it doesn't come with a money-back guarantee
there's no happily-ever-after warranty
it doesn't come with instructions
or incantations to recite
but i think i've finally got this love thing right

i don't know how to fix my car when it breaks
some people make a lot of money, but i don't know what that takes
i can't dance the rhumba
i ain't much in a fight
but i think i've finally got this love thing right

(chorus)
i've got this love thing right
it didn't happen overnight
i've had my share of falls
before i fell for you
but now i've got this love thing right
swear i'm gonna hold on tight
girl, you're living proof
i've got this love thing right

i catch my breath every time you step through that door
you're just what they made forever for
i've got rainbows every morning
i sing to full moons every night
i think i've finally got this love thing right

repeat chorus

Crank it! Comments encouraged...

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 06:20 PM
Excellent rocking tune. Guitars are excellent. Excelleing singing as well
Posted By: ROG Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 07:29 PM
Hey Floyd, What a great start to the weekend!

A fabulous track of what I would call "Fairground Music". I could just imagine listening to this whilst riding the Roller Coaster or Speedway. I swear I could smell the hot-dogs while listening to it.

But Floyd, where was the guitar solo - the sort that makes your ears bleed?

All the technical stuff was, of course, perfect.

ROG.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 07:42 PM
I cranked it and my ears are still bleeding!!
So, looking at the tracks used, us Brits have still got some Rock left in us, have we??!!
lol!!
What a brill Rocker!
I agree with Rog - give Brent his head in a solo break. I THINK my monitors can stand it!!
ACE !!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: Sundance Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 07:57 PM
Floyd have you been sneaking down to the roadhouse again to let yo bad self rocker come out and play.... LOL!

Seriously, cool job using those Honky tracks. I agree with ROG. Gives it a cut loose good time feel.

Party on.

Josie

PS. +1 on the solo.
Posted By: tommyad Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 08:57 PM
Hey Floyd, Now my headphones are smokin. You are a first class songwriter. I like the interesting chord choices in the chorus. The lyrics are great as usual. You are such a natural singer. It always sounds effortless and you can hear the fun in your voice. I listened earlier but did not have the time to comment. The first thing I was going to say was where is the solo? It is short enough so there is room time wise. I am very glad that the others also noticed this. Then i started thinking of a lot of great songs that don't have an instrumental break, so I guess it is just a preference. Now I will stick my nose in where it doesn't belong. The guitar on the right side in the beginning is too loud. It throws the balance off. When the piano comes in on the right and the guitar backs off it balances back out. Maybe the pan is too far right,it doesn't sound like the left guitar is panned all the way left. Could be my blown out sense of hearing also. I hope my comments don't take away from a great effort. I can't imagine this tune in any other style. Another Great Floyd Jane Production! Rock on, Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 09:04 PM
Scott - thanks for the listen and nice comments.

ROG - So the mix is okay on the Tannoy's? I was trying to get it as "rockin'" as possible... As I mentioned this had always been a "pop ditty" kind of thing and didn't lend itself to a lead really. And that is how I set it up when I put the chords into BIAB. It started out with easy drums and acoustic guitars. It wasn't until I hit the StoneZ guitar that Mr. Hyde appeared. I then found a style that used that guitar which brought in different drums and piano.. And I just went on from there. If it had started as the rocker it turned into, I would have probably added a lead section.... Now that I think about it, I should have gotten hold of Tommy and see if he'd do like he did on "Bad Enough"...

Ian - thanks! (see response to ROG regarding missing lead smile )

Josie - I do seem to be rockin' out a bit more these days... was never able to do that before (myself) - "the band" has a lot of things up their sleeves!!! Thanks for the listen!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 09:38 PM
Tom - no one ever has to worry about stickin' their nose in... I welcome it... I re-mixed - brought the guitar down a touch (not much - it's rock-n-roll!) and slide it over some...

If you happen back by, let me know how that sits...
Posted By: dani48 Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 09:51 PM
Hi, Floyd !

It is darn obvious you got that love thing right !:)) (lol) !
I loved to hear you get that love thing right !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: tommyad Re: This Love Thing - 12/06/13 10:03 PM
floyd, that's the thang. it sits better at 2 o'clock than 5. And thanks again for your help on that other song. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: This Love Thing - 12/07/13 02:32 AM
Hi Floyd,

this really rocks!
Like your lyrics, vocals and harmony.
I enjoyed listening to this one as I did to your others.

Guenter
Posted By: RichMac Re: This Love Thing - 12/07/13 08:28 AM
Very Stones Floyd. Your vocals are goodly strong. Good rocking.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: This Love Thing - 12/07/13 08:55 PM
"i've got rainbows every morning
i sing to full moons every night"

In a pre-digital world I envision you late at night in your music room immersed up to your ears in in reams of paper -- each one containing one or more lyric gems than I'll create in a life time.

As far as the vocal, production and arrangement goes I could just cut and paste my comments from ALL of your previous posts. They are consistently superior.
Posted By: gruverider Re: This Love Thing - 12/07/13 10:34 PM
well you got the Stones-thing right that's for sure

"I had always performed this one as a mid-tempo "country pop ditty"." I think can imagine the song this way, strumming on an acoustic guitar.

I especially like how you drop out instruments in the last verse, and also the "power" reverb brick wall outro
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: This Love Thing - 12/07/13 10:42 PM
Yeah man!

Not only do you have the love thing right, you also have the song-writing thing right, thr lyrics-crafting thing right, the mixing and mastering thing right, the singing-performing thing right, and the PR part right!

You are the whole package, the consummate music-making pro!

And you're still a nice guy, too!!

LOVE THING O METER
wrong_________/_RIGHT!

Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: This Love Thing - 12/08/13 04:54 AM
Great work Floyd. lesson to self "be more creative with my choice of real tracks"". Thanks for that lesson!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/08/13 08:12 PM
Tom - forget to say before... thanks for all those nice things you said.. and for taking the time to address issues in the mix...

Dani - thanks for the listen...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/08/13 08:15 PM
Guenter - appreciate it.

Richard - thanks for dropping by...

Bud - thanks, man...

Lawrence - glad you found some things to like here..
Posted By: aleck rand Re: This Love Thing - 12/08/13 10:15 PM
You really got it crankin' on this one Floyd. Brilliant lyrics (my favorite: it doesn't come with instructions
or incantations to recite.
but i think i've finally got this love thing right.)

And that dead stop ending. Damn, that'll put you through the windshield alright.

Dean
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: This Love Thing - 12/09/13 07:55 AM
Floyd,

I'll just 2nd what's already been said. Another excellent effort all around!

We keep saying this... But isn't BIAB the coolest songwriting tool ever! cool

Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/09/13 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Yeah man!
LOVE THING O METER
wrong_________/_RIGHT!

Pat - thanks for ALL those very kind comments - Loved the METER - haven't seen one in a while - gave me a terrific chuckle!

Joanne - thanks!

Dean - that is nice of you to say - appreciate it...

Greg - thanks for dropping by for a listen...
Posted By: Danny C. Re: This Love Thing - 12/09/13 07:35 PM
Floyd,

Loved the tune but must admit before I got half way through the listen I had a new assignment for you. You see out of the blue the following hook for the sequal sprang to mind . . . And I thought I Had Finally Got This Love Thing Right!

Later,
Posted By: dcuny Re: This Love Thing - 12/10/13 06:39 AM
As usual, solid work (as everyone else has said).

The vocals were clear, but it would have been nice if they'd stood out a hair more from the instruments. Could be my cheap headphones. Maybe it's an illusion caused by staggering the harmony parts, so it's a bit "fuzzy."

You like to do little asymmetrical things with, like the phrasing of "guarantee" vs. "warranty" that drives me up the wall. Keep it up! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/10/13 05:56 PM
Danny - thanks for the listen - and the comment... I think, perhaps, you should write that sequel... smile

David - appreciate you coming by... I actually mixed the vocal that way - to be sort of "on par" with the instruments. That's the way I "hear" a lot of classic rock... the vocal seems to be mixed as "one more instrument" as opposed to being "out front"...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: This Love Thing - 12/12/13 11:37 AM
Hey Floyd,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this one!

A very nice bit of work! It grabbed hold of me at the first bar and had me nodding my head and tapping my fingers all the way through. I have to say that you're becoming an incredibly difficult person to keep up with on the forum. Just when I think I heard all your styles, up you pop with a new one! It's like you've got a quiver full of arrows of many different talents and every time you shoot one, it's a bulls-eye.

This is a great list song. I haven't written many songs that use the list approach but it's a technique that always captures my imagination. You've reminded me that I definitely have to try this approach again.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a general formula for list songs seems to be to work from the point of view of 'opposites. For example: "I can't do this", "I can't do that", "Most definitely can't do this either" but "I can do this"; or maybe "I don't know this", "don't know that", "I don't know this either' but "I do know that ...." (Sam Cooke's, 'What A Wonderful World This Would Be').

You know, there are way too many things to learn and so little time to learn them all! I'd better get moving pretty quickly.

What you've done with this song is great. It's always a pleasure to listen to you and your work.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Steve Young Re: This Love Thing - 12/12/13 11:53 PM
Floyd,

I have been in and out of pocket for the past several weeks, and I almost missed this one. Glad I didn't. It's all been said. Outstanding work here! You really rock on this one, and it works. You are really showing your versatility lately! Two thumbs up here!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/14/13 01:19 PM
Noel - thanks for the listen. When you mentioned "list song" I thought - "I guess it is - I don't do many of those myself"... then I realized that many of the songs I write could be considered "list songs" - you just have to know where to look for the list - at times it's a very broad list. I'm working on a couple at the moment that are that way - and the lists differ.... sometimes they are opposites, sometimes not (ex. "My Girl").

Steve - always appreciate you droppin' by.. BIAB makes it easy to go in "different" directions... thanks again...
Posted By: MarioD Re: This Love Thing - 12/15/13 12:21 AM
Floyd everyone is talking about smoking but I’m here to tell you my monitors got so hot playing this one that they caught on fire!

This may be the best that you have ever done and you have done some great songs! I liked everything about this one, instrumentation, great lyrics and a super vocal!

Isn’t great how you can have one style in mind but BiaB will take you in a completely different direction!

This is a keeper.

Merry Christmas
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/15/13 04:58 PM
Mario - thank you so much for that. I know a lot of my stuff is not necessarily "up your alley"... so I really appreciate your comments on this... and Merry Christmas to you..
Posted By: Skyline Re: This Love Thing - 12/15/13 05:28 PM
'ot an' sweaty, just how I like it Floyd!
Great vocal and irresistible groove. An excellent job.

John
Posted By: Frankp Re: This Love Thing - 12/19/13 01:01 AM
Floyd, I'm a fan. Great track all around. I'm hoping to find some time to track done a bunch of your tunes. Thanks for sharing.

This software is awesome and so is this forum.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: This Love Thing - 12/19/13 01:42 AM
Floyd

A great country rockin' sound. Really like the arrangement and backing sounds work superbly.

Tops!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Love Thing - 12/19/13 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
'ot an' sweaty, just how I like it Floyd!
Great vocal and irresistible groove. An excellent job.

John - thanks for that. appreciate you having a listen..

Originally Posted By: Frankp
Floyd, I'm a fan. Great track all around. I'm hoping to find some time to track done a bunch of your tunes. Thanks for sharing.

Frank - Thanks a lot! Something that people might not realize... if you click on "Poster" in the blue header bar, you can sort the Showcase by Poster (of course) - so if you want to find all of the songs that you've posted (or someone else) - they will all be listed together (once you find the page where they start...you can enter a page number on the right...the down arrow of the Page numbers).

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A great country rockin' sound. Really like the arrangement and backing sounds work superbly.

Tops!

Trevor - Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by for a listen and a comment.

It surprised me that this came back to the top - since it had slipped to the 2nd page (always a nice surprise when it does that, of course). I was about to post another...
© PG Music Forums