PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/11/13 07:55 PM
An old-fashioned and traditional Christmas Carol.
http://app.box.com/s/w2l5z9fszsjq1x004d35

For those in the USA and elsewhere – the tune for this is the UK one, composed by William J. Kirkpatrick and originally called “Cradle Song”. I believe that the USA, and probably elsewhere too uses a different tune for it - “Mueller” by James R. Murray. Both of these tunes are more than 100 years old.
At the end I got carried away and changed a few chords – blame Aleck - I hope you think they work OK.
Thoroughly old-fashioned BIAB too – a Cakewalk mix of midi BIAB files - ^CHURCH to get me the pipe organ, HRPORK44 for the Harp and Orchestra and BRASS_44 for the – er – Brass.
(I really cannot get RB to do a composite mix of anything from BIAB. Its got to be me not doing it right but I find it too clunky or actually impossible to do or perhaps I'm just so used to my old (2004) DAW – Cakewalk GTPro2. So I import everything as individual wav files and mix in there.)
The guitar is my Brason Strat, as usual.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg77/Sixchannel/100_1212.jpg
Val and I would like to wish everyone the very best of Health and Happiness this Christmas time and for the New Year. May 2014 bring Peace to the World.
Best regards
Ian and Val
Posted By: floyd jane Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/11/13 08:26 PM
Very pretty, Ian! I was not aware that y'all had your own version...
Nicely played. Good arrangement - good mix... melodious!

And the best to you and Val! - floyd
Posted By: tommyad Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/11/13 08:57 PM
Ian, Merry Christmas to you and yours. Good playing. The recording and mix sound good. Thank for sharing. Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/11/13 10:54 PM
Beautiful version. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/11/13 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Very pretty, Ian! I was not aware that y'all had your own version...
Nicely played. Good arrangement - good mix... melodious!

And the best to you and Val! - floyd

Ditto, none the less this is beautifully played. I love it when I learn something new!

Later.
Posted By: dani48 Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 01:01 AM
Hi, Ian !

There must be very many different
versions of this beautiful song,
I think I have even sung it in a
barbershop style arrangement ?:))
This brought back a lot of memories
from far way back when I used to sing in
a church choir !:)) I liked everything
about your version !

....and you and Val should have yourself a merry little
Christmas too.....

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sundance Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 02:04 AM
Beautifully arranged version Ian. Loved the guitar sound. Live and learn - I never knew about the two versions either.

Josie
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 02:26 AM
Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

My Music
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 07:42 AM
Lovely, lovely, lovely Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:23 AM
Hi Ian,

Your playing is wonderful. Your musicianship glistens. To be honest, I could have listed to you play for a whole lot longer than 2:22 smile Why not add a gently improvised verse and then the standard verse again. I'd listen!

This version of the song is also the most commonly used version in Australia (although the other one sometimes creeps in).

Lastly, your comment on the different versions inspired me to look on Wikipedia. It talks about 41 different versions! That's news to me. LOL! I was only aware of two, as well.

Merry Christmas to you and Val.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:30 AM
Hi Floyd
thanks for listening. I think there are a few Christmas songs that the USA and UK have different tunes for. I may research it for next year and BIAB a couple with the UK melodies.
cheers
ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:32 AM
Hi Tommy, Scot and Danny C - many thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed listening to the "alternative" melody.
Very best wishes
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Ian !

There must be very many different
versions of this beautiful song,
I think I have even sung it in a
barbershop style arrangement ?:))
This brought back a lot of memories
from far way back when I used to sing in
a church choir !:)) I liked everything
about your version !

....and you and Val should have yourself a merry little
Christmas too.....

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani
Barbershop? According to Noel there are 41 versions out there - with this one I make it 42!! grin
Glad you enjoyed it my friend and the happy memories it brought.
cheers
ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:44 AM
Hi Josie Sundance, PGFantastic and Josie C and thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.
Very best wishes to you for Christmas and always.
cheers
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Ian,

Your playing is wonderful. Your musicianship glistens. To be honest, I could have listed to you play for a whole lot longer than 2:22 smile Why not add a gently improvised verse and then the standard verse again. I'd listen!

This version of the song is also the most commonly used version in Australia (although the other one sometimes creeps in).

Lastly, your comment on the different versions inspired me to look on Wikipedia. It talks about 41 different versions! That's news to me. LOL! I was only aware of two, as well.

Merry Christmas to you and Val.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel
What I wanted to do here was play it just as we sing it in church in the UK at Christmas time - hence the Brass (like the Salvation Army brass band does) and the good old pipe Organ. Maybe another time, I'll play it with a more modern approach - the chording is quite simple really and is easy to "jazz" up a little.
41 versions? Wow!! With Dani's Barbershop memories that'll be 42. lol!
Have a greeat Christmas and New Year, Noel and all your extended family.
You have always been a Rock on the BIAB Forum when it comes to answering my, often simple, questions plainly and clearly. Thank you so much.
cheers
ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 11:12 AM
Hi Ian,

Thank you! You made me smile and I appreciate that smile

My view is simple. There are really only two aspects to it. (1) There's no such thing as a silly question and (2) every question deserves a friendly answer. I always keep in mind that if the person asking knew the answer, s/he wouldn't be asking. It doesn't matter if a question has been asked a few times before, it's a new one for the poster.

I have to confess that I'm finding it a bit hard to comment on songs at the moment as well as help people in the forums. I'll get there, though!

Once again, all the best of everything that Christmas brings.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: boehm Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 03:54 PM
Hi Ian,

beautifully played and arranged.

Guenter
Posted By: Steve Young Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/12/13 11:58 PM
Ian,

This is just beautiful! Like many, I didn't know there were so many versions, and I had never heard this one. Your playing is spot on for this, and I really liked everything about it!

Merry Christmas!

Steve
Posted By: RichMac Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/13/13 01:55 AM
Lovely! Great guitar sound. Like the ending and enjoyed your photos. Magnificent Strat. And Hank Marvins sandwich bar!
Cheers - Richard
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/13/13 07:20 PM
Hi Guenter and Steve
thanks you being so kind. blush
Steve I guess that the USA version is as familiar to you as ours is to us over here. I have YT'd it and enjoyed some of the USA versions on there.
Merry Christmas to you and your families.
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/13/13 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Lovely! Great guitar sound. Like the ending and enjoyed your photos. Magnificent Strat. And Hank Marvins sandwich bar!
Cheers - Richard

Hi Richard
I'm glad you enjoyed this. The Strat is a real Beauty, isn't she?
I've PM'd you over the Hank Marvin Bar.
cheers
ian
Posted By: ROG Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/13/13 07:35 PM
Hi Ian and Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Lovely seasonal piece of music. Wonderful sound from the Strat and a great arrangement and mix.

Thanks, ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/17/13 02:02 PM
What a guitar tone! And a fine production all the way around. I'm late to the party on this one so not much to add to what's been said.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/20/13 11:53 AM
Hi Rog and Janice and Bud
sorry I'm late in getting replies done - been hectic as usual pre-Christmas. However, back home now and last Gig before 2014 is tomorrow and then "FREEDOM"!! lol
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to listen to our UK version of the clascic Christmas carol.
Merry Christmas and a happy and musical New Year
Ian
Posted By: Al-David Re: AWAY IN A MANGER (UK VERSION) - 12/31/13 04:01 AM
Hi Ian,

I (Al) loved in Europe (Germany) 12 years and didn't know the UK had it's own version of this song. regardless, it's stunningly beautiful! love the tone and effects on your Strat. Although I'm a Tele guy, giving you props on a real nice sound!

We thoroughly enjoyed this! Thanks for the musical treat!

Al & Di
© PG Music Forums