PG Music Home
Posted By: Frankp My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 02:30 AM
This recording was done as a demo for my band mates when I was in a Latin band. The band liked it but things broke up before we ever got a chance to use it.

I used BIAB, MIDI written in Sibelius and me playing the guitar parts. As this is a demo, I didn't spend any time "sculpting" the midi, rather it was just notation dumped into my DAW

Flute - all midi
Vibes, some midi, some BIAB
Congas, All BIAB
Guitar, all me
Drums, a little midi, mostly BIAB
Bass, some midi, some BIAB

My favorite part is the Tutti section around 3:30

https://app.box.com/s/g3pbaq46x1lc8f05v0gh
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 06:37 AM
Wow Frank!

I really like that, nice smooth build at the start, really clean guitar, and nice timing on the unison's with both guitar and bass.

What synth did you use for the flute, and did you use a breath controller at all?

Any more where that came from? I could listen all day!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 06:58 AM
Hi Frank,

This is great!

I love the chord progression that starts at 2:08.

Did you use any Realtracks with this? From what I read above, it sounds likes it's all midi and you playing guitar. If that's the case, the midi is incredibly realistic. You must have a pretty awesome soft synth!

This is definitely a composition to be proud of.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 10:17 AM
Hi, Frank !

I share what Noel has said about this tune !:))
and I liked your guitar playing very much too !!!:))

Cheers and Merry Xmas
Dani
Posted By: Scott C Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 01:14 PM
Very enjoyable listen. Nice guitar work. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Steve Young Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 02:53 PM
Hi Frank,

+1. Nice, enjoyable listen.

Steve
Posted By: boehm Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 05:40 PM
Hi Frank,

just great throughout.
Merry Christmas

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 06:03 PM
Frank, Great playing. Nice Production and great chord progression. Outstanding work. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/16/13 08:36 PM
Frank,

Terrific instrumental! It just wraps you up and takes you away...

The mix is tasty. Everything in the perfect place - everyone plays a vital part. Your guitar work fit seamlessly.

Could not believe when it finished - it was 5 minutes... felt like 2 - THAT is an accomplishment.

Excellent.

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/17/13 04:28 PM
I can't add anything to the above comments -- just a big PLUS ONE regarding all of them. Fine playing and a cool progression just holds you there.
Posted By: Frankp Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/17/13 11:12 PM
Hi All, I really appreciate the kind and encouraging comments. This really a great community, isn't it?

To some questions:

@ videotrack:

- The flute (as is the bass) is from a softsynth called Dimension pro.
- You ask of any other tunes... Here's one I posted on this forum http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...4964#Post214964

@ Noel

Yes I used realtracks, I recorded this a while ago but took a look this morning...
- Drums, all real tracks.
- Bass, mostly real tracks except where I needed specific lines which were notated and played by softsynths.
- Congas, all real tracks.
- Vibes, mostly real tracks except where I needed specific parts which were notated and played by softsynths.
- Guitars, I played those.

- Yes, for me this was very much a "composition". I started with notation. I only brought to the studio musician rhythm section, (BIAB), at the end of the process.

Thanks again all for listening.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/19/13 03:45 PM
Frankp,

Just terrific - you're the real deal, man. Latin Jazz on the BIAB User's Forum?? Unheard of.

So I'm gonna help out. Latin Jazz is one of my absolute favorites (along with hard bop - the BlueNote/Prestige recordings of the 60's, and lately I've been starting to like some "Smooth Jazz" - even though most of these tunes run on one chord). I notice you going a little "outside" in your solo and few guitarists have figured out how to do that.

Impressive.

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)
Posted By: cubanpete Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/19/13 08:18 PM
Aha! Loved it! Nice and almost seamless fusion between Rts and midi. Liked the drum brakes towards the minute four, very neat.

Mike B.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/19/13 09:38 PM
Nice mixing of the synths and BB tracks.

Enjoyed it.

I started to really get into the bossa beats and other latin grooves when I first got BB.
Posted By: Al-David Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/30/13 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Frank,

Terrific instrumental! It just wraps you up and takes you away...

The mix is tasty. Everything in the perfect place - everyone plays a vital part. Your guitar work fit seamlessly.

Could not believe when it finished - it was 5 minutes... felt like 2 - THAT is an accomplishment.

Excellent.

floyd

I think Floyd said it all. I don't know what I could add to that. 'Cept maybe the twinning of the guitar and flute. that was a super fantastic listen. We love Latin Jazz and this is a classic cut. I've run out of superlatives. *I'll just say that Di and I totally loved it...awesome piece!

Al & Di
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/30/13 09:42 PM
Great recording, has a real pro sound to it. Well done.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 12/31/13 02:56 PM
I like this composition a lot!
Nice bossa sound.
What does the title mean? Is that a person's name?
Posted By: Icelander Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 10/03/14 04:40 AM
Latin Jazz is one of my top favourite things, and you sure capture it well. And that manipulation of real versus midi throughout is just....
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo - 10/03/14 06:11 PM
Great stuff!! Really cool feel, and KILLER guitar! Great track. Great work all around!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums