Posted By: dani48 Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/27/13 06:28 PM
Hi, Dean !

I loved this ! :)) Your playing
is kinda magic ! :)) I bow my head
for the master !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/27/13 07:46 PM
Dani - you "Rapscallion" ! I don't deserve this kind of praise. But thank you, and also thanks to Scott and Guenter.

Dean
Posted By: floyd jane Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/28/13 01:56 AM
Dean,

Thumbs UP!

floyd
Posted By: Rafa T Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/28/13 02:56 PM
Sabor! what a thumb!
Fantastic guitar,Wes is with you ;-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/28/13 03:14 PM
That was fantastic!

Great chops!

Two thumbs up

Posted By: Al-David Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/29/13 05:07 AM
Hi!

We're kinda new here ( almost a week...woohoo!). We're still checking out the site and the music.

That's some fantastic jazz! I'm (Al) a guitarist and dabble in jazz from time to time. love the tone and touch. I particularly likes the part from 2:26 to about 2:40...sweet!

We both loved it and will be back for more from you every chance we get. Have a great 2014.

Al & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/29/13 01:38 PM
Dean, My thumb is burning just listening. Great playing! Great tone! Another fine example of your talent. Thanks for sharing. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/29/13 06:49 PM
Dittos on all the up thumbs! (bad pun intended)
Nice fat guitar tone and cool arrangement.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 12:48 AM
Hi, you nice folks from Tennessee,

For just a week, you've been stirring things up pretty good on this heah Forum. Thank you for your kind words.

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 12:58 AM
Whoa Mario!

I don't get compliments like that too often. But, as a fellow guitar player, I had a feelin' you'd dig it. Thank, man.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 01:04 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

You know, I have this recurring dream about getting my thumb caught in a car door. It might have come from the great jazz guitarist, Jim Hall who, sadly, died last week: When Jim first heard Wes Montgomery he gave an interview saying, jokingly of course, that he hoped Wes would get his thumb caught in a car door. Shivers!

And, thank you for your kind words.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 01:06 AM
Floyd - bingo! The SENOR thanks you.

Dean
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 01:03 PM
Thanks Aleck

(AKA Senor Hot Thumbs !!)

Real nice, Latino Blues. I Like.
Posted By: Rafa T Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: aleck rand

...the great jazz guitarist, Jim Hall who, sadly, died last week

I did not know this. A really sad moment for the music. Jim Hall has certainly been one of the greatest guitarists in jazz history. He has left a wonderful work to remember forever.

Adios Maestro.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 03:13 PM
Rafa, mi amigo,

So good to hear from you again! Hope you are well and enjoyed a peaceful and happy Christmas.

Yeah, it was sad to hear about the passing of Jim. He played with such taste and intelligence. All of these guys that we grew up with, Wes, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel - to say nothing of Les Paul - are gone. Pat Martino is getting on in years but he still has some of the most wicked licks in the business.

I'm glad you liked Senor Thumbs, but - que Dios me ayude - I'm no Maestro. But, just the idea is such a profound compliment. Thank you, Rafa.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 05:54 PM
Aleck,
Great sound. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
SD
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 09:24 PM
Hi Tom,

Lately I've been goin' around wearing on my right hand something called The Ov Glove. It's for picking up red hot skillets or working at the BBQ, but the way my thumb feels, I need it just for picking up a cup of coffee!

But I sure am glad you liked the tune. Makes it more bearable.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 10:08 PM
Hey Amigo,

Latino blues and jazz. In my book, you just can't beat it. Thank you for your kind words, and ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: Frankp Re: SENOR THUMBS - 12/30/13 10:49 PM
This is wonderful Dean. Super tasteful guitar playing, great tone with the thumb on more than just the octaves, the thumb on those single note line, oh my. And digging the Latin flavor underlying it all.

Was BIAB used on this track?

My Jim Hall story... My brother is talking to Jim's daughter Devra and tells her what a fan I am of Jim's. He also tells her that I'm in the hospital getting treated for Leukemia... a treatment of chemo and a bone marrow transplant.

I have an extended stay living at the hospital, Jan 2011 until August 2011. While I was there Jim starts corresponding with me. No computers for Jim, we communicate with hand written letters and cards. We talked of various things including our dogs, Jim's dog is named Django . He sent me about a dozen of his CD's.

All that for someone he had never met. What a kind and generous soul. RIP Jim Hall, my friend.
Posted By: Icelander Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/03/14 03:39 AM
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
More Latin Jazz a la Wes and Dean

SENOR THUMBS https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/senor-thumbs

LOVED IT!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/03/14 06:18 PM
Thumbs up Senor!! Really tasty piece, delivered with your usual excellence!! Much enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/04/14 01:58 PM
hi dean great playing here very engaging great tone everything the notes you choose are always right on the money well done thanks eric
Posted By: Icelander Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/08/14 01:48 AM
I'm curious to know what Rt's and drums you used to composite that rhythm, which I think must have been 'toyed' with by you somewhat to get that end result?
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/13/14 03:40 AM
Hi FrankP,

That story tells it all about Jim Hall. Here's my Jim Hall story: When Wes Montgomery hit the scene like the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs, guitarists in general were trying to scrape their jaws off the pavement. No one had heard anything like this guy.

As Jim tells it, he and Wes were riding in a cab and Jim says he was thinking to himself, laughingly of course, about how he, Jim Hall, might be able to get Wes's thumb jammed in the taxi door when they both got out! (You can almost see Jim wiping his hands together, thinking, "Well, that ought to care of that cat!")

Of course, this incredibly talented, unpretentious, and wonderful guy could never do such a thing. He admitted openly that he really couldn't play fast and liked to stick to medium tempos. But no one since has been able to get close to his intelligence on the instrument.

Your other personal story hit out of nowhere. I hope that you're holding that devil at bay. May it burn itself out, down there where it belongs.

Thanks for that great story about Jim Hall and for the encouraging remarks.

Dean

PS I almost always use RealDrums in various combinations. One of the Latin styles on this one.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: SENOR THUMBS - 10/13/14 03:44 AM
Hi Icelander,

It's been a while, but I recall using at least three RealDrum styles and doing a lot of slicing and dicing, lifting and shifting, viewing and gluing, etc. to get the total result. Luckily, I like doing that kind of stuff.

Glad you liked Senor Thumbs!

Dean
© PG Music Forums