PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 12:35 AM
In looking for unfilled niches, I'm certain I've found one this time.

BBRealDrums-CountryShuffle
BBRealGuitar:385
RT1855:Piano
RT1716:Sax,tenor
RT2114:HornSection

Lead vocal and all harmony parts sung by Aleck Rand
Electric bass: Dean Clark

Hope you like to dance, 'cuz your whole house is gonna get up and shake 'till it breaks when you turn on

DOO-WOPPIN' TIME
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/doo-woppin-time

https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/doo-woppin-time
Posted By: floyd jane Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 03:11 AM
Dean,

Very enjoyable - well done. You captured the doowop!

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 12:23 PM
+1 I agree. Excellent groove. Well played and well sung.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 03:32 PM
Hi Floyd and Scott,

Thanks a lot fellas.

Remember that all those groups had a "bass man" who could hit the real deeeep notes? Then, along came Leo Fender to invent the electric bass and put all those guys out of business.

To add insult to injury, now there must be 40 groups calling themselves The Drifters, 40 more doing the "Oldies Circuit" as The Platters, etc.

Time marches on ... Thanks for your kind words.

Dean
Posted By: boehm Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 04:33 PM
Hi Dean,

fun. Now you can start with shoobdoobydoo.

Happy New Year.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 04:52 PM
Cool. Got the 1950's standing on the city street corner vibe nailed. And a little finger poppin' too if memory serves.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 06:19 PM
Aleck,
Sounds great. You nailed it.
SD
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 09:34 PM
Hi Guenter - and Happy New Year to you too.

Yeah, it was fun and also unbelievably time-consuming. I've been having lots of trouble with the 2014 version of RealBand, even with the patch. It seems not to be as good in rendering RB files into WAV files as previous versions.

Shoobydoobydoo, shoo-bop shoo-bop, ramma-lamma-dingdong, baah-doo, bop-sha-waddy-waddy and sha-na-na-na / sha-na-na-na-na to you too, my friend.

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 09:41 PM
Very nice Dean the Doowopper !:))

You´ve put together a nice tune
that I´d love to dance to, but
angels are too light for dancing
down here on the ground so I guess
I´ll have to wait for a swing yet some time !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 09:48 PM
Dean The DooWopper - I love it Dani!

I'm happy you liked the tune but as I mentioned it was really murder to put together. I can't imagine doing something like that without the RealTracks. But the bass line I had to handle myself. I think you can hear a few fairly wicked licks every so often.

With kind regards from the whole group,

Dean and the Baah-Dooos
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 09:52 PM
Thanks SpaceDog,

I have a real soft spot in my heart for DooWop. And I come from the subway and the street corner, so my creds are in order.

Happy New Year to you.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 10:13 PM
Whoa, Janice and Bud -

You picked out Fingerpoppin'! Now, do you remember who did it?

OK, this isn't a quiz - I'll tell you the answer: Hank Ballard and the Midnighters. I would have sworn it was Chubby Checker - bet anything on it. But I was never able to find any version done by him.

By the way, I was one of those kids in the subway or standing on the corner with my buds. We were trying to figure out who wrote the book of love, but we just stood around scratching our heads.

Dean
Posted By: Al-David Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 12/30/13 11:25 PM
Dean,

Listened to this one last night but got sleepy and didn't leave a comment. Yes, I thought of Clyde McPhatter and "Finger Poppin' Time", too. it's one of my very favorite DooWhop songs.

Ya did a great job on this. Just listened to it again. I'll have Di listen later to night. Gotta go fix dinner (Di is significantly disabled, so I do most of the cooking and housework).

Loved it! Take care...

Al (and Di)
Posted By: gibson Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/01/14 11:48 AM
Dean,

excellent, doowop is one of my favourite genres.

Have a good New year

Alyn
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/01/14 02:24 PM

a wopbop aloo bopalop bamboom!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/01/14 10:48 PM
Tutti-Frutti, aw Rooti
Tutti-Frutti, aw Rooti
Tutti-Frutti, aw Rooti
Tutti-Frutti, aw Rooti
Tutti-Frutti, aw Rooti........HIT IT FLATFOOT:
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
a wopbop aloo bopalop bamboom!
Thank you ... no ... please ... no more applause, Thank you.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/01/14 11:26 PM
Fun tune!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/02/14 04:20 PM
Hi Alyn and Mike,

It was fun, alright, and thank you. And congrats to Mike for winning this year's BIAB award!!

Alyn, next time, you'll be a winner, mate.

Dean
Posted By: RickeG Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/12/14 05:57 AM
How cool! Thanks for taking BIAB in a new direction! DooWop is one of the lost genres of RnR.

You are right about the "tribute" bands out there. It was like that even 30 years ago when I would tour with them. But, then the unwritten rule was the band had to have at least one original member before they would be added to the bill at a Nadar's Rock n Roll Revival back then. They were a ton of fun in addition to playing the music, it was great to meet the guys behind the mics like Cousin Brucie and Don K Reed.

You have to figure doowop is 60 years old. That would make many of the guys today in their mid 70's at the minimum. Not too many have kept their chops that long. That is the nice thing about playing an instrument. I suppose this is where we players that used to get their early to set up and stay late to break down can still do what we do.

Keep pulling out the nostalgic sounds!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/14/14 05:50 PM
Rick,

Great to hear from you. Yeh, I do remember the "one man rule" and your mention of Cousin Brucie - I can still hear that jingle: "Seventy seven, WABC" and Brucie would play something like Blue Moon (Ba ba ba ba ... dingy dong ding Blooo Moooonnn) - Wow, you bopped some nostalgic nerves right there.

Here's another thing I wonder about: How did the Platters -> FourTops/Temps/Motown -> Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes/Philly Soul (with The Mighty James and Pickett riding the entire train) evolve into .. -> Rap? Is there a missing link that just passed me by without notice?

Regardless, I'm glad there are some folks out there who appreciate this great stuff. I miss a lot of things and that's one of them. The next one I do will be what I consider to be the greatest of the great from 1959 (shoo-bop shoo-bop). That one's gonna take a while.

Dean
Posted By: Jay23 Re: BIAB does DOOWOP - 01/16/14 10:03 PM
Sounds great! I've been listening to a lot of this style lately as well. My only critique would be that at least for the old school recordings the vocals are even more out front/louder than what you have here. But it still sounds fine as is.
© PG Music Forums